PDA

View Full Version : Game: Fable for Xbox

gibby
09-16-2004, 10:44 AM
I just recently picked this game up yesterday. I've read some reviews on it which were mostly positive. A coworker has even compared it to Morrowind which was kind of a let down for me since I never got into that game simply cause it bored me the first hour or so. But I decided to give Fable a chance and I bought it.

OMG!!! From the very start, it's simply an amazing game. Granted, this review is only based off of my first 3 hours of play but a good indicator is that I haven't played a game in years which has caused me to want to stay home from work, or lock myself away from my girlfriend, just so I can play this game. So far, the story, the graphics, the interactivity and missions I've done within those first few hours have really gained my interest. The choices they give you which allows you to play your character the way you want to might not be different, but how they implement the gameplay is truly something else.

This game is somewhat similar to Knights of the Old Republic but the interaction between your character and the NPC's have been taken a few steps further. The combat system is also a joy to play as it's more action oriented rather than psuedo-turn based like KOTOR.

I say RPG buffs should definitely pick this game up.

Sooky
09-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Fable, Alien Hominid and Halo 2 are the only new games I'm definitely planning on buying till 2005. But I'm already overloaded with university as it is, so if Fable is that addicting it will have to wait... :cry:

gibby
09-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Fable, Alien Hominid and Halo 2 are the only new games I'm definitely planning on buying till 2005. But I'm already overloaded with university as it is, so if Fable is that addicting it will have to wait... :cry:
Well, upon reading a few more reviews...you shouldn't worry too much because I heard the main story will take only about 20-30 hours of gameplay. Although, that would have turned me off a few years ago, with my schedule, a short compelling game is more to my liking at the moment.

Miscue
09-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Damn you. I'm gonna have to go spend money tonight. :D

ShooterJM
09-16-2004, 03:26 PM
Eh, I still have to finish i-ninja, Thief, and the suffering. By that time I'll be all good and ready to fully explore GTA:San Andreas. THEN, I'll pick up fable....probably used.....maybe off of gibby :D ;) .

Onryou
09-16-2004, 03:49 PM
i picked it up yesturday and have only devoted 4 hours to it, but its a great game. as far as the main storyline only taking 20-30 hours, oh well. Its not about just "beating the game" as i had an argument with the kind sir at EB Games over. Its all about the side quests and wandering around a huge world where ALL the NPCs react to you.

DiSoRdeR
09-16-2004, 04:23 PM
You just had to remind me of this game.... I just got myself to forget about it, since I spent every thing I had on my Micromag... Any one willing to contribute to my fable fund? :D

Fred
09-17-2004, 02:20 PM
just got it yesterday... I finished the childhood stage, but didn't go very far into training... so far I'm very goody-goody, but i punched the dorky apprentice who laughed at me for not being able to run as fast as him.. so i got a bad-deed point... i also farted in front of some of the women in the Hero's Guild area... :nono:

hopefully i can devote some real time to it this weekend...

not uber-impressed with the graphics, but the gameplay seems pretty good, and the camera control/controls are well laid out.

how long till halo 2? i have it on pre-order...

---Fred

SCpoloRicker
09-17-2004, 02:27 PM
Halo 2 is out November 9th.

Most places that took pre-orders are having an event Nov 8th. My local Gamestop is having a Halo I Lan tournament...

BTW, the 9th is a Friday... Gonna be lots of sick days taken on that one. :ninja:

WickeDKlowN
09-17-2004, 03:53 PM
Meh. not really an RPG fan myself.

Halo 2 on the other hand, I'm getting the day it comes out and not going to sleep till I beat it.

BlackWeenie
09-17-2004, 06:47 PM
this game is sweet. its been eating up most of my time recently. definately pick this one up.

gamarada717
09-17-2004, 10:29 PM
I've played pretty far.....about 15 hours. I got braces on yesterday, and they we're....umm...hurting, so I had a reason to stay home :). I started out playing the game doing things that I would only do in real life. But then again, I don't have the abilty to shoot lightening from my hand in real life, and some guys laughed at me, so I killed them. And then I killed about 200 guards. I'm fully evil now....I've progressed through the game a lot.....the last cut scene that I saw was at Grey House with my sister, talking about the sword. I don't know how different the game is for all of you, but I'll tell what's happened so far....I killed twinblade, won the arena, killed Whisper, defeated the White Balverine, and I've pulled the sword from the rock. I'm in full plate armor, cept for a dark chain helmet. I have an osidian greatsword with fire and silver augmenations, an ebony bow with peircing augmentation, and I'm one giant tatoo. The best part is, I keep my attractivness up, so I can still get the ladies and be evil. The little horns that popped up on my head are stupid though. I've been married twice, and devorced twice. I own 2 houses, and are currently trying to woo Lady Grey. :)

Awesome game, I love it.

atm743
09-18-2004, 12:18 AM

all i know is that i am planing to get gta san andresas and play it as long as i can:D and i same with medel gear solid snake eater and resident evil 4

BlackWeenie
09-18-2004, 05:51 PM
...I've pulled the sword from the rock....

how? what do you have to do beforehand?

gamarada717
09-18-2004, 09:57 PM
The only reason that I can think of is because I have level 8 physique. It's like the only thing I ever spend my experience on.

MiniMag84
09-18-2004, 10:05 PM
i haven't read a single post on this thread, but i bought that game yesterday and i've logged in 7 hours. effing awesome.

BlackWeenie
09-18-2004, 11:53 PM
my physique is maxed out and i still cant pull out the sword :cry:. and i knew it was a short game, and i tryed to do most of the side quests. but jeez it only took me 11 hours.... oh well, it has a big replay value, especially for an rpg so i guess i cant complain. considering it took what? 4, 5 years to make it i would've assumed it take like at least 40 hours to complete. ahh well

Miscue
09-20-2004, 02:05 AM
I gave it a couple hours - it's interesting enough that I want to keep plugging away at it. There are kinda sorta KOTOR elements, which I think is good. It's got your standard issue weapons, magic, items, etc. The experience system is interesting - I dunno if it's good/bad or what yet, but I think I like it at this point. It's got some funny bits, like when your first status is chicken-chaser.... and I upgraded to arseface. I couldn't figure out why the heck I kept hearing "chicken chaser..." I've been doing my missions naked... :p It's got some mature/dark themes, which I like. I'm not a fan of the targeting system, and how you have to fiddle with the D-Pad... but it's ok, just not great.

It's got unique and novel things about it- and I like to run across games where... I haven't quite "seen this before." Peter did some of that with Black & White - I thought he had some creative ideas going on, I just didn't have much fun with it... but put up with the game because it had good elements to it.

Fred
09-20-2004, 08:35 AM
I am addicted to it...

I beat it on sunday, as a goody-goody spellwarrior... i had 3 wives, had sex over a dozen times, and I thought I was playing it "slow"... the ending is a bit lame... it might be better if you're evil...

started over, now I'm being evil... only a few hours in and I already have horns... its way easy to be evil... i'm trying to be more of a caster/mage this time though.. and not doing very well at it.

the evil gestures are funny, right out of Unreal- middle finger, pelvic thust, insult, glare, roar... you get all of them when you beat the game, even if you're really "good".

I am trying to figure out some other stuff right now, like how to buy a shop, and collect rent from my houses that don't have wives in them yet (havn't landed a wife with the evil character yet, but he's only 28, my good guy was 42 before i landed a wife... and he was 60 when i beat it, but i spent 4 years trying to escape from prison... that part sucks).

---Fred

BlackWeenie
09-20-2004, 06:07 PM
to buy a shop you have to... kill the shopkeep. once hes dead, then its the same procedure as buying a house. they cost about 30k and im not sure if you can do it with a bar, although i dont see any reason why it wouldnt work

gamarada717
09-20-2004, 08:46 PM
Yeah, you can buy bars. The highlight of my game is when I got me and my wife drunk, had sex about 5 times, got even more drunk, and then slaughtered 3 towns. It was great. If they made a sequel to this game and made it about 50 hours at least, it would be great.

gibby
09-21-2004, 11:29 AM
HAHA! Damn...I've yet to put more time into it but last time I played, I was trying so hard to have sex with this random chick. She was asking if we'd like to go to the inn but I couldn't figure it out...I spent the longest time trying to find out how to sleep with her...HAHA! Damn I suck!! :tard:

ShooterJM
09-21-2004, 12:40 PM
but last time I played, I was trying so hard to have sex with this random chick.

SNIP

...I spent the longest time trying to find out how to sleep with her...

This is the most realistic game I've ever heard of! ;)

Fred
09-21-2004, 02:15 PM
Can you have sex with chicks that you aren't married to? I havn't been able to, heck, i have a hard time finding the inn in a few villages...

guess i have to slaughter some shopkeepers... hehehehe

My goal for my current character is to get Mayor Gray to marry me...

---Fred

Miscue
09-21-2004, 03:15 PM
Yeah, what's the rules on who you can sleep with? How many wives can you have? What results in divorces? :p

I found it kind of disturbing that you could pursue relationships with dudes. So the crusader to save the world, can also be another type of crusader.

gamarada717
09-21-2004, 03:50 PM
Marrying Gray is easy. I'm pretty sure you have to be evil, haven't beaten the game with my good charecter yet. One part that I had trouble with was finding the necklace. I could never get her to have sex with me though, I would even give her diamonds and every gift imaginable, yet she despised me. So I beat her. And we divorced. The best part of it was that I got 15,000 gold because of it all.

Oh, and Miscue, I think that you can only have one wife for each town (because you have to buy a house to get married, and I think they find out if you have more than one in a town). I didn't lose any money in my diviorce, I don't think. With the sword of Aeons, slaughtering towns is so much more fun, because everything dies in one hit :)

Fred
09-21-2004, 04:20 PM
the Sword of WHAT? Where and how do i get it? or is that THE sword that I threw into the abyss the first time around?

you can have 1 wife for each house i think... so that would be 4 (unless there are more houses that I havn't found yet).

The necklace is buried between the two boats on the beach, you have to listen to the two guys in the cemetary for a few minutes to hear them say where they hid it.

---Fred

gibby
09-21-2004, 04:30 PM
This is the most realistic game I've ever heard of! ;)
Hehe! Believe me, even TDS wanted to see me sleep with a chick! What a gal!!! :cheers: :dance:

Bulldog
09-21-2004, 05:07 PM
Hehe! Believe me, even TDS wanted to see me sleep with a chick! What a gal!!! :cheers: :dance:
Wow! And she plays paintball too!!

Fred
09-23-2004, 01:31 PM
bump...

I found a cheat to get infinite silver keys...

you have to be on the save Jimmy from the Hobbes mission..

Take the quest, go to the Rose Cottage, it autosaves when you enter that area.

Dig up the Silver Key in the garden, talk to Grandma...

Leave the Rose garden, and go to another area where it threatens to reset your quest... say OK, and it puts you back at the entrance to Rose Cottage... with the same amount of keys you had before the reset...

Repeat the process until you have 30 keys... the highest chest i've found requires 25.

---Fred

BlackWeenie
09-23-2004, 10:30 PM
you can own any building you want guys. just kill the owner and it comes up for sale. (no thats not a joke)

Miscue
09-23-2004, 11:06 PM
Marrying Gray is easy. I'm pretty sure you have to be evil, haven't beaten the game with my good charecter yet. One part that I had trouble with was finding the necklace. I could never get her to have sex with me though, I would even give her diamonds and every gift imaginable, yet she despised me. So I beat her. And we divorced. The best part of it was that I got 15,000 gold because of it all.

Oh, and Miscue, I think that you can only have one wife for each town (because you have to buy a house to get married, and I think they find out if you have more than one in a town). I didn't lose any money in my diviorce, I don't think. With the sword of Aeons, slaughtering towns is so much more fun, because everything dies in one hit :)

Nope... I went 100% good guy, married her, boinked her a dozen times in one sitting. Now I need to make a 100% bad guy.

DiSoRdeR
09-23-2004, 11:31 PM
Rented it on friday, and had to return it today... Beat it 3 times, wish it was a bit longer. I mastered every thing in that game, maybe when I buy it there will be some downloadable content.

Fred
09-24-2004, 09:36 AM
I'm really wondering how some of you are beating it so quickly... I wonder if there are different quests available for different characters?

if XBox live has updates that include missions, I'll probably get it...

---Fred

Fred
10-04-2004, 11:10 AM
Has anyone figured out (for sure) how to get the weapon from the Chapel of Skorm?

I think that, and getting into the Tavern basement in Bowerstone South is all I havn't done yet...

---Fred

MaChu
10-04-2004, 04:32 PM
To get the Bow of Skorm which does an insane damage, you have to sacrifice somebody to Skorm at a certain time, or so I heard.

BlackWeenie
10-04-2004, 05:04 PM
i believe its at 6 am. thats what i read anyways.

Will Wood
10-11-2004, 10:07 AM
What's everyone nickname?

I kicked a chicken when I was a child and now everyone is calling me "chicken chaser" bleh, it's annoying! Is it changeable?

TraXeR
10-11-2004, 12:01 PM
I'm pretty sure everyone is chicken chaser sooner or later. I had it for the whole time I rented it.

RogueFactoryKid
10-11-2004, 12:06 PM
You can buy them from vendors, there is one right outside the heroes guild, my guys name is gladiator, and im mostly good, except my guy is a klepto.

Fred
10-11-2004, 02:23 PM
I was Ranger for a while, its the first thing i change... you get no respect as chicken-chaser...

If you give enough money at the Temple of Avo you get the title Paladin... which was funny yo have since I was uber-evil and killing everyone in sight... yay lv 4 lightning...

Now that I've played it out almost to absolute completion, I am annoyed that I was able to max out my hero in EVERYTHING by being good for a while, and then going evil again...

I think if you pick a path you shouldn't be able to sway too far from it, i mean really... redeption is possible, but you aren't really penalized at all unless you're dumb enough to get caught by the guards when sacking a village...

still havn't been able to get the Skorm bow... i wonder if its because i beat the game?

Also: i can't complete the archery mission or the dolls... even though I have all the dolls and got over 500 points in the archery game.

---Fred

steveo356
10-11-2004, 03:00 PM
yeah, i have that game for maybe a couple weeks and beat it already, twice first time it took me maybe 8 1/2 hour to get through it. I love how your appearence varies through out the game do to your decisions but i realy hated its short length and extremely easy combat. npc realations are fun but how realistic is it that you can get married in about 4 seconds (i had about 15 wives by then end the first time). and teh final guy jack of blaes takes about 14 seconds when your usin the solisgreatsword with berserk and the legendary long bow with multi arrow.

I loe the game but i coudlnt even compair it to the less hyped tales of symphonia for the game cube Oh i love that game and would compair it to the rpg greats like ff7 and kotor any day.

Over all fable gets a 7/10 for its short length and weak bosses.

(EDIT)
for the skorm bow i basicly got every one in the taverns to falow me to the temple and jus stated sacking them at intervals on the clock. took maybe 20 mins of diligent killing.

lady greyt was easy to get in bed just go sumtime between dusk and midnight she'll be in her bedroom give her sumthin like a diamond or ruby and a few manly arm pumps and sexy hero poses later shell be telling you "your mighty fit hero"

titles ive had where paladin necromancer gladiator ranger liberater arseface(realy fun walkin around and killing any one who says your name)

to pull harbinger from the stone at the temple of azo you either need to have full stats in the strenght tree when you first try or thers another way that takes a whole lot longers and isnt worht it

and gibby as far as sex goees in fable every citicen is unchaste(sp) meaning they will only have sex if your married, and you have to be in your marital home or inlady greys case in her bedroom. ( am i the only one who married a man just to see if this would work , if you thought of it dont its distubing above anything else in my role as a gamer)

ill stop now before this becomes a full walk through for the whole game