PDA

View Full Version : Sharia in Canada?

1stdeadeye
09-17-2004, 09:33 PM
What the hell are the Canucks thinking? They are going to let the Muslims use Sharia as real law in Canada. This story makes no sense. (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,131715,00.html)

What's next, Public amputations and beheadings? :rolleyes:

CasingBill
09-17-2004, 09:37 PM
Leave it to Canada....There almost French!

Jeffy-CanCon
09-17-2004, 09:57 PM
Sadly, too many of us are French. especially our politicians and Supreme Court Justices. :(

Allowing Muslim people to use a traditional Sharia court for civil cases may seem to be a logical extension of "freedom of religion" to some, but it is a mistake. It is to easy to lose control of something like this especially with non-English speaking immigrants.

I can't argue about having different laws for different people, because we're already far down that road. Our "Charter of Rights" is written in such a way that it actually means nothing, and legislatures can override it. :tard: Native people have the right to use traditional sentencing options such as banishment, but I think that only comes after the a verdict in a white-man's court. Irrelevant anyway, since under our laws the native nations are sovereign and technically independant (a fact ignired when inconvenient).

I love my country, but sometimes I hate my government.

oldsoldier
09-17-2004, 10:38 PM
Exactly why religion and gov't shouldnt mix. Irrational laws, even if they only apply to civil suits.

WenULiVeUdiE
09-18-2004, 09:03 AM
It may work in the Mideast where just about everyone is Muslim and they're used to it; but not in Canada. Big mistake.