PDA

View Full Version : Any Civil/Structual engineers?

rtslave
09-19-2004, 11:17 AM
I have some questions about a set of house plans that I have, my county says that they need to be stamped by an engineer. What I want to know is how difficult is it to have this done, how much would it cost. I have been told that there are engineers with many different state stamps. Any help would be sppreciated.

Zygote
09-19-2004, 01:04 PM
Well, I'm not an engineer and I'm not registered in Nevada, so I'm not certain what the laws are in your state. I am an architect in Massachusetts so I can give you some advice. When an engineer stamps a set of drawings, it means he's legally liable if the building falls over and kills a busload of orphans. In order to stamp it he would first have to review the set to make sure it's structurally sound, adequately waterproofed and insulated, and otherwise meets all the applicable codes. This takes a bit of time and will likely run into the thousands of dollars. How much I can't say for sure. Your best bet is to find a local architect or structural engineer and have a talk with them.

Bad_Dog
09-19-2004, 08:59 PM
^^^ what he said...

my sister is an architect, and someday I will be an engineer...

Fred
09-20-2004, 08:40 AM
get an architect to do your plans. engineers are good at making boxes, an architect will design one that you'd enjoy spending time in.

---Fred (can you tell what I spend my 5 years in college doing?)

rtslave
09-20-2004, 06:40 PM
Well the thing is , is that I already have the plans. Architects around here are charging between 3 and 5 dollars a square foot, at that may plans would cost between 9000 and 15000 dollars, so spending a couple of thousand to have an engineer review them would be a bargin. As far as engineers building boxes apparently thats what I need, because an arch. can't stamp my drawings, only an engineer. Thanks anyways.....