PDA

View Full Version : The Plastic Experience

Riot[Z-Grip]
10-28-2001, 08:43 AM
This is my experience so far with my plastic nubbins that arrived yesterday:

This morning I installed one plastic nubbin and kept shooting until I ran out of air. Noticed that the plastic nubbin stuck a tad further out into the barrel than my previous P-nubbin. I got about 200 rounds off and experienced a slight increase in accuracy (although this may just be a perceived increase, not quite sure yet). As for wear, the tip of the "triangle" part is very slightly more rounded than an unused one. One ball had a pinhole leak in it (as shown by a thin line of paint down the barrel after shooting. Though this may have occurred before it entered the barrel).

I was shooting 2 week old RPS Premium with the configuration noted in my sig. The range was 20-40 feet (varying). Targets were various size soda bottles suspended off a line with string. Weather is approx. 50* F, Clear Skies and a slight breeze out of the SW.

I will post again after my next day of heavy play. (A tournament on Nov. 18) With results after 2000 rounds.

-Riot

Magsrule3
10-28-2001, 10:06 AM
sounds good,

MajorDamage
10-28-2001, 02:53 PM
What was the dewpoint on the riktor scale under heavy fumigation while trying out this experiment?

ENDO!

AGD
10-28-2001, 11:16 PM
Thanks Iwanna, this does help.

AGD

the123
10-29-2001, 12:39 AM
Well, after inserting MY plastic nubbins into a freak system, stock e-mag barrel and stock minimag barrel, I noticed I broke a HECK of a lot more paint than I should have. I also switched to a basic stock classic barrel with a wire v-style nubbin without problems.
What I noticed was that the manufactured 'bump' as i'll call it on the opposite side of the nubbin was not letting the ball push past the nubbin without breaking the ball. When you stick the barrel into the body and lock it down that bump pushes against the inside fo the mainbody making the nubbin very resistant and not bendable like the current ones are.
After trying all 3 barrels and having only barrel breaks I decided to take one of the nubbins and Dremel this bump down about a full 1/16".(yes, I carry a cordless dremel in my truck) This allowed the part of the nubbin that sticks into my barrel to become a little more bendable. This slight modification made all the difference. I had about 90% fewer breaks in the barrel from there on out.
I still need to do more testing on more barrels with other paint but this was my finding after 1 day of play with them.

Weather: 55 sunny, windy+beautiful no real humidity.
Paint was the MOST brittle RPSherer they make. (the same stuff they sell to the open gamers at Challenge Park Xtreme...they ran out of the practice paint and only had that)
Other people on the field were having problems with the paint breaking much too easily. However, after making this MOD on my nubbin, I had virtually no problems. As for wear and tear, I cannot tell because I used ALL 4 of the nubbins that AGD sent me equally. So I cannot tell if they are worn down any more or less.

E-Mag w/warp
AGD foamie bolt
Centerflag Hyperflow 114 bottle
and a bag of chips
Brian

Shaft
10-29-2001, 07:43 AM
CPX's paint was terrible this past weekend. I couldn't even play.

the123
10-29-2001, 06:47 PM
Anyone else have any stories on the plastic nubbins??????

Dubstar112
10-29-2001, 07:00 PM
i havent recieved my nubbins yet, perhaps i was too late.. but:

if a plastic nubbin broke in the barrel, (especially alluminum) would it leave a mark on the inside of the barrel?.. like rubbing plastic realy hard on somthin can leave a mark..

duffman
10-31-2001, 12:19 PM
i have shot over 3 cases thru my barrel with a plastic nubbin and had no problems with it.

neoxone
11-11-2001, 09:22 PM
Received my plastic nubbins earlier this week (Wed 11/7) and used them today when I played. I installed them into my J&J 2-piece barrel and shot a case of the field paint (ZAP perfomance plus) with no problems whatsoever after the following modification. I had to shave down the "bump" on the opposite side of the nubbin as well to get it to flex a little. Without shaving it a little, the nubbin would not flex at all, and would break paint as it was shot past the nubbin. Once this was done, no problems.

I am very pleased with the results even with having to do a little extra work to them.

Thanks to AGD for the opportunity to test these and I look forward to testing the plastic nubbins some more before the snows hit and I am forced to hit the slopes and do some boarding. ;)

(My nubbins also came with some sanding/work done to the "bumps", however I had to shave them down some more to get them right)

Fritzy
11-11-2001, 09:34 PM
I played with my plastic nubbins for the first time today. I used both a DYE aluminum and a J&J ceramic. I tested with both RPS Advantage (new Marbs, orange/yellow) and some Nel-splat. Zero breaks with just under 2 cases shot. Neither nubbins showed any visible signs of wear. I have bent both P and V nubbins with the extended nose bolt in my E-mag. New nubbins are great!

Also, I just received mine last week. The "nub" on the backside appeared to have been sanded or shaved down before I received them. Maybe this is something AGD is now doing prior to shipping to address the issues listed by users of the earlier nubbins?

Great work AGD. These little babies may solve the nubbin issue forever.