PDA

View Full Version : Fun with high pressure gasses

trains are bad
09-20-2004, 03:41 PM
I wanted to ride last night (actually this morning). My bike had a flat. So whatever, I have the technology. I whipped out the tools and changed the tube. But I realized I had left my bike pump at home (I just moved).

Now what. I'll go down to the gas station a few blocks away. They
might have air. So I do. They don't. Neither does anywhere else in New concord ohio at 0030 hours.

Damn. So I go back to my room and do physics and calc....actually I got on ao and brooded over how I could get sherman fixed.

Then I had an apostrophe. I was sitting on all the compressed gasses I could want. I had my paintball gear under my bed. All that was left to do was harness it. So I dug out my backup backup marker, a shaved, top cocking low pressure 98 custom and yanked the palmer's stabilizer regulator and line off it. It already had a guage on it, and I attached my tire chuck to the hose. I screwed it onto an air tank and adjusted it to 100 psi. Wait, both my air tanks are empty. Double damn.

I had to use co2. Which worked fine. And has been.

Yep. I filled it right up.

And rode.

And I'm keeping the setup with a 9oz co2 tank on it in my toolbox. Beats a bike pump anyway. It'd probably fill 100 bike tires. And I fill co2 for cheap because I have a 200lb bulk tank of co2 in my apartment (I'm a little too into paintball)

I might calculate how much heavier co2 is but I need to talk to my chem professor. I'm not sure how pressure vs molar quantities of different gasses works exactly.

lord1234
09-20-2004, 03:46 PM
saddest paintball loser story i have ever heard:)

personman
09-20-2004, 04:57 PM
Well you arent the only one who has thought of this. Palmer sells a stabilizer with the hook ups for a car tire :) I'm sure it could come in quite handy..
http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/images/Stab/stabilizer-tire-reg1.jpg

RogueFactoryKid
09-20-2004, 05:03 PM
Then you had an Apostrophe? that would be this kind of mark ', now you can take chem but dont know that its an Ephiney SP (EppiffEnEy)

Brak
09-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Then you had an Apostrophe? that would be this kind of mark ', now you can take chem but dont know that its an Ephiney SP (EppiffEnEy)

its 'Epiphany'

Mikey B
09-20-2004, 05:43 PM
I would never think to do that. but then again i have not rode my bike in a few years

imstoiched!
09-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Not to bust your bubble (air pun there) but they already sell something like this for MB racing maybe 2-3 years ago when I was heavily into that. IIRC, the product used the 12 gram disposables.

Caffiend
09-20-2004, 11:13 PM
only danger with using CO2 (that I can think of) is if it heats up too much it could over pressurize your tire. bike tire i wouln't be too worried (pedal bike, right?)

PyRo
09-20-2004, 11:17 PM
I just repair tubes with electric tape and rubber cement :)

ScatterPlot
09-22-2004, 12:44 AM
LOL apostrophy...

Ironmag
09-22-2004, 06:54 AM
Kinda reminds me of the time when I thought of using my flatline tank to fill up the kiddie pool if my nephew ever wanted to go swimming at the house. Because I was too lazy to get an electric pump or just didn't want to do it all with a manual pump. Too bad I never got around to doing that. Talk about instant pool. :D

-=Squid=-
09-22-2004, 07:57 AM
LOL apostrophe...

Anyways... In this case, wouldnt CO2 be a low pressure gas?

ScatterPlot
09-22-2004, 12:31 PM
LOL oops... :D

ScatterPlot
09-22-2004, 12:31 PM
LOL oops... :D