PDA

View Full Version : Better hopper thread! (not which is better kind)

1ofkind
09-23-2004, 09:09 PM
I think its nonsense that the eggy shells are cheap and always break and crack, probably thesame story for halos aswell. So I had a idea, aluminum shells! It would take a sludge t just dent the structure of it. Hows this sound?

robdamanii
09-23-2004, 09:11 PM
I think its nonsense that the eggy shells are cheap and always break and crack, probably thesame story for halos aswell. So I had a idea, aluminum shells! It would take a sludge t just dent the structure of it. Hows this sound?

Expensive and heavy.

Blazestorm
09-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Expensive + Easily dentable, pending how thick you make it.

I'll just rock my halo...

:D

FragTek
09-23-2004, 09:16 PM
Heavy, easily dentable, and as someone else mentioned it could fry ur paint.

The paint frying could be solved by drilling relief holes in the shells however to let it breath.

If the idea could be perfected I'd be down, but the Halo is so damn heavy as it is it's tough for me to want to think about making it even heavier. (I've never broken a Halo shell btw).

Eggs on the other hand have the cheapest shells imaginable, prolly broken 10 sets :shooting: Stupid BE cheapness!

quik
09-23-2004, 09:16 PM
probably thesame story for halos aswell.

Nope. I've owned a halo and dropped it on cement 3 times, and not 1 crack at all. They are built for extreme playing conditions. GREAT hoppers.

1ofkind
09-23-2004, 09:20 PM
Nope. I've owned a halo and dropped it on cement 3 times, and not 1 crack at all. They are built for extreme playing conditions. GREAT hoppers.

Hehehehe can I try?

1ofkind
09-23-2004, 09:25 PM
Expensive and heavy.

We'll dude you ever feel how light a ULE mag is? Thats how light I imagined it to be. As for expensive we'll I wouldn't mind seeing the hopper would be indestructible.

robdamanii
09-23-2004, 09:27 PM
We'll dude you ever feel how light a ULE mag is? Thats how light I imagined it to be. As for expensive we'll I wouldn't mind seeing the hopper would be indestructible.

A whole hopper that weighs as much as an entire marker?

Halo's are already heavy, and not because of the shell, but the motor and internals and batteries. Add an aluminum shell and you've got a hopper that weighs as much as my mag does, if not more.

1ofkind
09-23-2004, 09:30 PM
A whole hopper that weighs as much as an entire marker?

Halo's are already heavy, and not because of the shell, but the motor and internals and batteries. Add an aluminum shell and you've got a hopper that weighs as much as my mag does, if not more.
We'll okay so maybe not for halos then, but what about eggys?

LeatherPants
09-23-2004, 09:44 PM
Halo shells are great. I've thrown a halo across the room. Drop kicked a halo at the field. Slamed one against a table. Still hasn't cracked.

Even for an Evo it would be way too expensive to make. Did you expect to make a casting mold? Sheet metal? Either way its something that wouldn't be worth it just in cost alone not to mention the weight. In order for it to be sturdy enough the AL would me thick and heavy.

penguinpunk555
09-23-2004, 09:47 PM
Poop>your idea

LeatherPants
09-23-2004, 09:49 PM
Poop>your idea

Sorry kinda mean but really made me laugh. :rofl:

1ofkind
09-23-2004, 09:53 PM
HEHE,

Okay Forget halos guys, no more halo!

Now is it a good idea for eggys? :confused:

1ofkind
09-23-2004, 09:54 PM
Sorry kinda mean but really made me laugh. :rofl:
Don't brother me at all. Its all good ;)

MonsterMag
09-23-2004, 09:57 PM
i love my ricochet apachie, its fast , strong -thinck shells and not heavy , only downside is its a lil heavy :cheers:

1ofkind
09-23-2004, 09:59 PM
i love my ricochet apachie, its fast , strong -thinck shells and not heavy , only downside is its a lil heavy :cheers:
So its not heavy, but on the downside it is :p Funny stuff

MonsterMag
09-23-2004, 10:00 PM
So its not heavy, but on the downside it is :p Funny stuff

lol :D

1ofkind
09-23-2004, 10:06 PM
I want a ULE eggy shell for my eggy!

-=Squid=-
09-23-2004, 10:10 PM
Make just the neck of the hopper aluminum, or reinforced.

You could make it go about an inch beyond the neck, and it could screw onto the plastic.

Would be much harder to break.

MonsterMag
09-23-2004, 10:12 PM
the life of a eggy...
the battery door brakes
the lid cracks
the feedneck cracks
the shells crack

this is why i got a apachie :rolleyes:

:cheers:

tranman
09-23-2004, 11:11 PM
How about carbon fibre shells? Sure they'd be really really expensive, but its carbon fibre! Not enough material there to really make a big weigt difference, but depending on the fibres and resin used, you could make them pretty strong. :D Its like adding a carbon fibre hood to your car :headbang:

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
09-23-2004, 11:38 PM
i say stick with plastic. cheap, inexpensive, light, and durable in normal conditions....except the egg....i wish i could burn it

aluminum....i agree with everyone on the weight and dent problems...it's not a completely dumb idea...it's just unreasonable

Blennidae
09-23-2004, 11:54 PM
I don't know where you guys are getting your indestructable HALOs. Mine has some stress cracks and looks like it could give out anytime. I recently bought replacement shells for when it does happen.

I wonder if loader makers use the materials they do to generate extra revenue. Its cheaper to replace shells instead of a whole new loader, so they plan for the shells to eventually give way.

Why not use the same nalgene material they use in sports bottles. That stuff is pretty much indestructable. Just make it a bit thicker to hold its shape better.

Miscue
09-24-2004, 12:33 AM
Backpack loader.

-=Squid=-
09-24-2004, 01:21 AM
Well, I can say odyssey doesn't use the plastic that they do to generate revenue, simply because they replaced shells for me before simply due to stress cracks.

ghideon
09-24-2004, 01:27 AM
I don't know where you guys are getting your indestructable HALOs. Mine has some stress cracks and looks like it could give out anytime. I recently bought replacement shells for when it does happen.

Seriously. I've only had my Reloader B for 4 months, and tomorrow I'll be on my third set of shells (need to replace em before I play tomorrow night). This isn't from throwing the bloody little thing around (it was $130, I baby the hell out of it). Just cracks that started appearing. I'll always keep an extra set around.

White_Noise
09-24-2004, 07:50 AM
stress cracks in halos come from user error.... overtightening screws or missaligning the shells/battery cover. ive only seen halo shells break from that, or from someone not sanding it down enough, forcing it into their feedneck, then trying to take it out a breaking the feedneck. if you check the odyssey site, they have a video on how to install the battery cover cause so many people were screwing up.

gc82000
09-24-2004, 08:11 AM
they have a video on how to install the battery cover cause so many people were screwing up.
That would make me feel really stupid just to have to watch that thing.

68magOwner
09-24-2004, 11:33 AM
to have it thick enough to not dent extremely easily it would be very expensive and heavy also, eggs are crap, halo shells are 10X better, jsut buy quality if you want quality

Destructo6
09-24-2004, 04:01 PM
Stamped aluminum would be pretty tough and light. Think, soda can. Developing the die would be pretty expensive, but the more (millions) bodies you made, the cheaper they would be. Soda cans are just a couple pennies apiece.

Why not go the opposite direction? Something that can deform a little without fracturing?

SlartyBartFast
09-24-2004, 04:19 PM
Soda cans are just a couple pennies apiece.

But how many MILLIONS and MILLIONS of cans are made each year? There's no where near that production level and I doubt you could justify the tooling costs.

As for deformable material >> Very bad idea. If the outside of the hopper can be deformed the paint inside might break.

hitech
09-24-2004, 06:29 PM
Why not use the same nalgene material they use in sports bottles. That stuff is pretty much indestructable. Just make it a bit thicker to hold its shape better.

Nalgene is a brand name. They have bottles made from two different type of materials (that I have used anyway ;) ), "soft" and "hard" plastic. The "hard" plastic is "lexan" and the "soft" is too flexible to protect the paint inside. I believe that Halo shells are made from "lexan".

I say carbon fiber. How expensive can it be? The stock auto/mini mag grip frame is made from it and it's not expensive. :headbang:

nt2004
09-24-2004, 06:30 PM
why not lexan like those indestructible bottles they sell. THey can take shotgun blasts without breaking. This idea was brought up about 4 months ago and i dont remeber why no one triedd it. Is lexan very expensive to make or something?

1ofkind
09-24-2004, 08:57 PM
I'ed pay a extra 100 or maybe 200$ on a hopper that would never break. Really in the long run it all adds on parts for hoppers.

Destructo6
09-25-2004, 12:04 AM
But how many MILLIONS and MILLIONS of cans are made each year? There's no where near that production level and I doubt you could justify the tooling costs.
Billions per plant, actually. The die would probably be very simple; like one operation.

As for deformable material >> Very bad idea. If the outside of the hopper can be deformed the paint inside might break.
I'm not talking about deforming significantly. Flexing a little would allow some deceleration, rather than transmitting the impact's full energy, either to the paint inside or the shell's stress points.