PDA

View Full Version : i hate the american dream

dirty_canadian4894
09-24-2004, 04:35 PM
ok guys im not sure if my titles appropriate for this post but here goes. i dont agree with life . my mom *****es about how i dont get up in the morning but why would i want to get up in the morning when all that im gonna do is eat breakfast and go to school and listen to old people ***** at me about meaningless crap for 7 hours and then go straight to work for 6 hours and then go home and go to sleep then i repeat this everyday. lifes just a meaningless cycle, on days that i dont have to work i might go to a friends house and hang out and that gets boring. after highschool il go to college and learn more meaningless junk than il get a full time job and work everyday to support a family and do meaningless family trips and activities.

im one of those kids that does great on standardized tests and im bored in school but when it comes to daily work i sometimes dont do it and it is really boring sitting there in class doing the same things over and over again. last year i had some pretty bad grades and this year im trying to do my work and get good grades just to please my parents and keep my insurance cheaper but it is already(schools been on for amonth) getting hard for me to do my work as its just meaningless crap and i hate doing it. today i had my first late assignment all year and somehow the teacher emailed my mom telling her that im falling behind and she got all pissed off at me because im "lazy, and dont care about anyone but myself" and i cant take it when she gets mad that i dont do good in school my god damn mind doesnt work the same as everyone elses i cant help it that i dont get good grades or do all my work. i guess what im trying to say is; i hate the way they make us all do the same **** even tho not everyne is the same ive taken internet IQ tests and i always score in the 150's and almost everyday i design a new paintball gun or invent something new im always looking for new things to learn and i probably learn more than most of the people that get good grades in school but i just cant do all of my daily work.

i hate how everyone always tells you that in order to have a good life you have to go to college and then get a full time job and raise a family but i really dont want to go to college or do anyof that crap its just not for me
/rant

flame away at anything you dont like sorry about the bad grammar and lack of periods.

Rooster
09-24-2004, 04:39 PM
I thought the same way once. The secret to life is to take pride in whatever you are doing. Thats sounds clicheed as hell, but its true. 99.999999% of the people on the planet will spend their life doing something they don't want to be doing. If not all the time, at least some of the time. Take pride in everything, and nothing seems meaningless.

MaChu
09-24-2004, 04:43 PM
I don't know why but after reading your post I have this sudden urge to watch Fight Club or Office Space...

gamarada717
09-24-2004, 04:51 PM
You should join a gifted and talented class. It's what I did, school doesn't bother me so much any more. I'm not trying to be a dick, I totally understand how you feel and all, but life isn't fun all of the time. Just deal with it. Usually when you spend most of your life in a crappy way, the rest turns out good. Most jobs are repetitive like school too. Just gotta learn to put up with it. Find a new hobby or something.

JimmyBeam
09-24-2004, 04:58 PM
i hated the typical response from my parents. graduate high school, go to college, get your degree, get a good job, get married, have kids, retire, die, blah blah blah

and well being the stubborn *** i am, i didnt do it. i did graduate high school. nevedr took SATs ACTs or anything else. partied hard for 5 or 6 years, then after i was done with that i went to tech school(Cochise Aviation....shameless plug). now i work for the department of defense as a GS-11 working as a UAV mechanic. my paretns were pissed off at me for a while, but i wasnt ready to go into real life yet. i waited till i felt i was ready, even though they really didnt approve. im not saying your paretns dont know what they ar talking about, listen to them, but at the same time do what you feel is right for you.,

SCpoloRicker
09-24-2004, 06:54 PM
Going to get way worse before it gets better.

/1.5 year professional out of college.

JimmyBeam
09-24-2004, 07:10 PM
aint that the truth

Lohman446
09-24-2004, 07:46 PM
i hate how everyone always tells you that in order to have a good life you have to go to college and then get a full time job and raise a family but i really dont want to go to college or do anyof that crap its just not for me
/rant

flame away at anything you dont like sorry about the bad grammar and lack of periods.

Don't take this as a flame... cause I think I have played with the alternatives before.

A good job, is an end to a means - good pay to enjoy what you want. There are people who would rather seek adventure. Look at jobs such as guiding (mountain climbing, rafting, etc.), fishing (my understanding is the Alaskan vessels are a serious adrenaline rush), cowboy (yeh, the theory still exists), the military (though this is most structured) and other "non standard" type jobs. Find one that fits you by all means. Do it, tell yourself for a year, for two, for five. Have fun, enjoy life. When your done, decide what you want to do. But understand, to keep your options open, you need decent grades now.

This going from HS to college to career and family, I think causes a lot of the marital problems in America today. You need some time, a few years to be free, to have fun, to enjoy life. Take it, you will be glad you did, and do better at College for it. Need to sell it to your parents - once your a certain age, and proven independent your parents income no longer counts towards financial aid, or you may have saved up your own money. You will not have shut doors down as for College, if you decide that is what you want.

Take the time to be immature (I mean that). To have fun, to walk the Apalachian trail should you decide (its worth doing),. Create those memories, do what you want, be that person you want... and then settle down. Youre life will be happier for it, you will be, and I think you will be a better person, with less regrets when your done.

-=Squid=-
09-30-2004, 10:40 PM
Stop whining.

Ironmag
09-30-2004, 10:55 PM
I don't know why but after reading your post I have this sudden urge to watch Fight Club or Office Space...

Sometimes I feel like I am Peter Gibbons from Office Space. I can totally relate to you man, I really can.

BrockSampson
10-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Got any cheese to go with that whine?
My advice is to drop out of school and move to another country. Just not Canada or Mexico, since they're close and it would be too easy for you to come back.

Steelrat
10-01-2004, 12:23 AM
There are places in this world where parents mutilate their own children to make them more effective beggars, and you have the gall to whine and cry because you have to go to school? What a waste. I wish to god one of those poor kids who dies of starvation or violence in some third world country could take your place.

Stop whining, and figure out what you want to do. I don't care how smart you think you are, you have to go out and earn a living just like everyone else. Momma isnt going to be there forever to support you while you take IQ tests and design paintball guns. Please, get over yourself, and grow up.

oldsoldier
10-01-2004, 12:39 AM
Get yourself a meaningless, dead end job, and work towards a goal. Me, I have plenty of disposable cash, and a job I like. I only have a 2 yr degree, and not in the discipline I work in. But, I make good money. You are responsible for your life. So, do whatever you want. But, remember, the consequences are your own.
And, you may THINK you are smart...but, well, idiots brag about how much better they are than everyone else. Keep that in mind.

dirty_canadian4894
10-01-2004, 12:40 AM
this is gonna sound really selfish but i realy could care less about kids in third world countries because ive never had to expeirience that or known any one that experienced that. the only thing my mom has paid for of mine is housing costs. because i almost always eat somewhare else and she definatly hasntsnt bought me any thing in the last six months. i just dont see why we all have to go threw this ***** to have a "good" life.

RTDynaflow
10-01-2004, 02:34 AM
You don't. YOu can beat yourself in the head with a 2x4 untill you are mentally retarded. Have you noticed the special people are always smiling?

Seriously, high school sucks so much *edited words go here* it is unbelievable. You need to look at everything you have and rethink the entire attitude. It will get better. You need to look inside and find what makes you happy. Sounds rather ghey, but it is the truth. No matter how much money, how much fame, how much etc you have, you will never truelly enjoy life untill you learn to enjoy life. <---- :confused: Yeah you know what I mean. Atleast I know what I mean :rolleyes:

There is so much more then money and a good job and the perfect wife... Do you what makes me happy? When I feel complete bliss? It is the moment that ball hits me, you feel the sting and taste the paint, but somehow it reminds you how great you have it. You will get over your self loathing Why does life suck attitude. I did. Find what makes you feel alive. Do it and everything will start to fall into perspective.

Or maybe it is just me and I am crazy. Who knows.

PS take a real IQ tests. Result will vary...

quik
10-01-2004, 02:50 AM
dirty_canadian4894, I am in the same boat as you. I dont really like college, I hate my classes, think their useless, and think that the rest of my life is going to be a bore. But think about all the SMALL things you can look foward too, and your life really isnt THAT boring. Sure there may be school or a job, but on the weekends you can go do things that are fun to you, whether they be swimming, or going camping w/ friends(very fun).

Alot of people are right with going to another country and doing something useful. I myself, am going to Japan in december, and cant be more excited about it. It is by far one of my 'dreams,' and I am funding it all myself, so It will feel even better to get away for awhile, and meet new people and experience something most people wont get too. Also after that, I plan to go to Japan to study for a year. Im still going to school everyday, but I'll be studying things I like, and experiencing something amazing :).

If you can, save up some money, go on a road trip over the summer, meet some new people, experience new cultures, theres too much of a world out there to miss it all being lonely, sad, and bored. So do something about it, whether it be saving up pennies from your crappy job, or saving up birthday money and odd jobs, it'll defenitely be worth it in the long run.

...Or you could just work construction. ;)

CoolHand
10-01-2004, 03:26 AM
...Or you could just work construction. ;)

There's nothing wrong with working for a living.

Many a man has found inner peace and meaning at the bottom of a ditch.

All :hail: the workin man.

bornl33t
10-01-2004, 05:13 AM
:rolleyes:

BobTheCow
10-01-2004, 07:06 AM
:( Am I the only one confused about why a "dirty canadian" is angry with the AMERICAN dream? :confused:

guysdaman
10-01-2004, 07:10 AM
Why don't you move to Iraq? I bet you would forget all about your poor boring life as it is now...jesh kids these days :tard:

Miscue
10-01-2004, 09:37 AM
ok guys im not sure if my titles appropriate for this post but here goes. i dont agree with life . my mom *****es about how i dont get up in the morning but why would i want to get up in the morning when all that im gonna do is eat breakfast and go to school and listen to old people ***** at me about meaningless crap for 7 hours and then go straight to work for 6 hours and then go home and go to sleep then i repeat this everyday. lifes just a meaningless cycle, on days that i dont have to work i might go to a friends house and hang out and that gets boring. after highschool il go to college and learn more meaningless junk than il get a full time job and work everyday to support a family and do meaningless family trips and activities.

im one of those kids that does great on standardized tests and im bored in school but when it comes to daily work i sometimes dont do it and it is really boring sitting there in class doing the same things over and over again. last year i had some pretty bad grades and this year im trying to do my work and get good grades just to please my parents and keep my insurance cheaper but it is already(schools been on for amonth) getting hard for me to do my work as its just meaningless crap and i hate doing it. today i had my first late assignment all year and somehow the teacher emailed my mom telling her that im falling behind and she got all pissed off at me because im "lazy, and dont care about anyone but myself" and i cant take it when she gets mad that i dont do good in school my god damn mind doesnt work the same as everyone elses i cant help it that i dont get good grades or do all my work. i guess what im trying to say is; i hate the way they make us all do the same **** even tho not everyne is the same ive taken internet IQ tests and i always score in the 150's and almost everyday i design a new paintball gun or invent something new im always looking for new things to learn and i probably learn more than most of the people that get good grades in school but i just cant do all of my daily work.

/rant

I've taken Internet IQ tests and get 140-160, but I don't believe it. Why? Everyone of those tests are connected with some paysite. They have an incentive to inflate scores so you buy something - like a certificate. What I estimate to be my legitimate range... 120-130 (I really don't know because I don't care) - is sufficient to recognize this. And who cares anyway. You can be in the top 1-2% and there's still a ton of people who are WAY smarter than you to the point where there is no comparison. Being in the top 1% of the top 1% might mean something.

I also could not do my daily work, and I graduated with a 2.x average while 3.0-4.0 people tried to make me feel stupid. I knew long ago that GPA was worthless, so I purposely did not do work so long as I passed. I spent my time doing more important things. I did the same for my undergrad, doing the same for my masters, and will do the same for my PhD - which to me is meaningless but to others it means something... so I will get one.

I've ran into a lot of the high GPA people I knew after college - they spent a ton of money on their liberal arts degrees and can't find jobs. What I find absolutely hilarious, is that one guy who graduated in like 4 years versus my 5.5 with the same degree as me, who made fun of me for taking so long and not doing as hot as him - is making 20K less per year, and that disparity keeps growing at about a rate of 7.5%/year. I concentrated on marketable skills, while he worried about classwork. If he makes more later, I don't care - good for him. But the point is I proved that college and your GPA doesn't matter a whole lot for your first job if you're good at something - and super arrogant guy that tried to make me feel stupid because he had better grades, higher test scores, and graduated with a bunch of ropes and ribbon and medals - was dead wrong. And moving up the corporate ladder is not because of what you did in school.

The smartest guy to me is the one that figures out how to be happy, and not the guy that can only do good on test scores - what good is that in the grand scheme of things? The guy with a hot girlfriend/wife and a good job - is a damn genius in my mind... which makes me a retard.

Public education is a waste of time for the intelligent - it is tailored for the common case and not the exceptional case. It is boring - get used to it. And yeah you just might be smarter than all or most of your teachers - and they have no idea on how to accommodate you. You should have figured this out a long time ago and understood that if you wanted an education you would have to teach yourself - I discovered this in elementary school. Start taking college classes now to get them out of the way, and learn stuff they can't teach you in public school.

If you think you're that smart - prove it. Use that brain to find a way to improve your quality of life such that you have nothing to complain about. I'm still trying to figure this out for myself.

ShooterJM
10-01-2004, 10:08 AM
I agree with Q. If your bored because you're "too smart" take an AP class. Challenge yourself. Quit whining like a little girl.

Steelrat
10-01-2004, 10:27 AM
Let me distill his rant to it's essense:

Hi, I'm really smart (because an internet site said so) and I design new brilliant paintball guns every day. I don't want to have to work like the rest of you stupid slobs, so I expect everything to be handed to me on a silver platter.

SlartyBartFast
10-01-2004, 10:50 AM
Here's a shocker: I agree with SQUID and Rooster!! :eek:

Stop your whining and take pride in what you do.

Join a club, take a challenge, start a special project, get a job that interests you more. Find something that gives you a challenge, that you enjoy, and you have pride in.

YOU have to make your life worthwhile and you aren't simply entitled to anything. As your parents are currently underwriting your existence and you're living under their roof, they have every right to demand that you show effort to one day put yourself on your own feet.

Bored in school? Study ahead, prove your progress to the teachers, and maybe you'll get ahead or be put in a better class.

Bored at work, well either find another job or find another use of your time that is justifiably worthwhile. Staying in bed or playing on-line aren't acceptable alternatives.

If you can't do all this by yourself, see a councillor, talk to a mentor, talk to your priest, your parents, teacher, etc. Someone will point you in the right direction if you are looking for help and not just whining.

-=Squid=-
10-01-2004, 10:50 AM
Here's a shocker: I agree with SQUID and Rooster!! :eek:

Everyone should agree with me.

MarkM
10-01-2004, 12:37 PM
Other than the flame posts I agree with all that has been posted in as far as advice given (in fact the flame posts are correct too but as they are flames they get skimmed over)

You are 16yrs old, the world is not a charity you have to work at life...good grounding early on pays for food on your table later on in life...this is what your Mother is trying to teach you.
At school yes I was bored out of my skull in certain subjects and enthralled in others so to say school overall is boring is very short sighted and must be inaccurate. If you are so smart then why have the professionals (called teachers) not noticed this and shifted you to advanced classes like Malcom in the middle.
As far as being bored in school is concerned I regretted "being bored" (usually means doing something other than the work in front of you) when I was aged 8-11 as it made the subjects I was learning later on, at I guess you would call it High School, more difficult as I had missed stuff when I was younger. You also have to understand my countrys educational system is geared towards leaving at 16 and going to work not going on to college and then university so more is crammed in over a shorter period of time...this is changing as we are now finding our schooling is being dumbed down but that is a totally diffeent political arguement.
I agree with Miscue the GPA's mean nothing but unfortunately when an employer has two candidates for a position and you are both equal other than your GPA...guess who gets the job...and so welcome to the world of flipping burgers to make ends meet.
Real life skills are just that Life skills and are only learned in real life not the coccoon called school...common sense cannot be taught ..it can be developed, but not taught. Common sense in your case would be to start to pay attention at school or at the very least complain to those who can help you (only time you will get this charity is now) and see what you can do (not have done for you) and go with it.

FactsOfLife
10-01-2004, 01:28 PM
Please feel free to go back to Canada.

We already have enough slackers here, thanks.

Carbon
10-01-2004, 02:10 PM
Let me distill his rant to it's essense:

Hi, I'm really smart (because an internet site said so) and I design new brilliant paintball guns every day. I don't want to have to work like the rest of you stupid slobs, so I expect everything to be handed to me on a silver platter. BWHAHAHAHAH Steelrat is on to something!

Bulldog
10-01-2004, 02:41 PM
You can beat yourself in the head with a 2x4 untill you are mentally retarded. Have you noticed the special people are always smiling? This is just a great line, and I had to highlight it. :rofl:

I don't really have anything constructive to add to the thread that hasn't already been said, but they're all correct, flames and all.

OysterBoy
10-01-2004, 04:44 PM
BWHAHAHAHAH Steelrat is on to something!

Amen. There is no way your 'IQ' (If such a concept can exist) is 150, your posts scream 'Whiney Immature HS Student'. I'm 15, by the way, and I hate having to deal with people like you. "I'm smarter so I shouldn't have to do this" "Why are we going over this again?" and a slew of other remarks that serve nothing better then to further my headache. STOP whining, do your goddamned school-work, get a job (Another if you already have one), and don't *****. By whining, your basically saying "I'm a failure at life, teach me to not suck". Not going to happen, suck it up. Lastly, condescending behaviour is so 90's, its only justified if you have the goods to back it up.

To quote Squid;

F for failure.

-=Squid=-
10-01-2004, 05:06 PM

:tard:

F.

quik
10-01-2004, 05:52 PM

:tard:

F.

Stop trying to be mango, becuase your nowhere near funny.

On a lighter note, do what makes you happy, but dont stop doing it if a couple snags get in your way.

Lohman446
10-01-2004, 06:30 PM
Let me tell this to all of you who think that your too smart or too good for the work you are given in HS and College.

They are not testing your IQ, they are testing ability to get things done - both with inteligence and perseverance. I made the mistake of thinking because college was easy that I did not need it - now I have been extremely lucky in life and this has not hurt me much.

The point is, in your job, you are going to have some menial tasks that may be repetetive and below you. If your good, if you have good scores, and you do these well you will get promoted, and less of your time will be spent on the same thing. But you will always have to show a work ethic and get things done that do not stimulate your mind.

So keep whining about why your so much better than everyone else. I hope you have a trust fund to live off of, because that type of whining, where I am, will find you the door. I'll bet you find the same at most businesses that you have a chance to make a good living at. Come to my shop, tell me your too good to do something... and you will likely find the door. Ask anyone else who has the authority to fire people. That type of whining, is much worse than plain incompetence.