PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Electronics Experts! (Funky Emag Charger)

DumpTruck
09-27-2004, 01:42 PM
Here's the problem:

When I plug in the charger and check it with a voltmeter, it puts out 15 volts, then quickly drops down to 10-11 or so.

I'm assuming it's a bad electronic component inside the charger, I just haven't had a chance to take it apart and start testing individual parts. Do any of you electronics gurus out there know what parts I should go about checking? To me it sounds like a bad voltage regulator, but my electronics knowledge is only marginal.

Any help would be appreciated.

DumpTruck
09-28-2004, 11:56 AM
Pulled the charger apart today... EEK! all surface mount. both the capacitors tested ok, and the resistor and the diode were also both ok. Is there a way to test the voltage regulator? Is it even a regulator, or is it a large transistor? Does anyone have a part number for a replacement?

blykins
09-29-2004, 01:48 PM
Hi. Call AGD they'll send u a new charger for free. At least they did in the other guys "bad charger" thread.
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=153445

Mechanic79
09-30-2004, 01:38 PM
I had a bad charger as well, the voltage would jump between 12~18V every second consistantly, it even ruined one battery I had. I had to buy a new charger and battery.

I don't know if these chargers can be repaired or not. Anyone?

Mechanic79

DumpTruck
10-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Up, anyone have any help they can offer?

:cheers:

BlackVCG
10-15-2004, 12:18 AM
Just call AGD and see what they'll do for you.