http://wtfhost.com/userfiles/Jeebus/monster4.jpg
http://wtfhost.com/userfiles/Jeebus/Train3.jpg

They wore Hugo Boss!

Hugo Boss, Biography
Mazotto Group, Italy
Werner Baldessarini, Designer History

Hugo Boss was created in 1923 by Mr. Hugo Boss in Metzingen, Gernamy and it
had little in common with the Hugo Boss AG of today, as the original company
made worker clothiers, uniforms and raincoats for the German Military. The German factory eventually became an internationally important with an expansion, which includes part
ownership by the Italian Marzotto Group, which has Mr. Werner Baldessarini as
chief designer. The new Hugo Boss Baldessarini line includes sunglasses, shoes,
perfumes, cologne, ties, and other fine accessories.

Steelrat
09-28-2004, 10:45 AM
http://www.rtmark.com/more/tommy/tommy1.gif

HoppysMag
09-28-2004, 10:56 AM
basicly every other countrys armys were big into style and dress. the lugar pistol was more of a show piece than a functioning combat firearm. if you look back and compare the way other countrys armys and generals acted compared to ours, its cool. patton would have been killed if he was a german commander.

Thordic
09-28-2004, 10:57 AM
patton would have been killed if he was a german commander.

Patton was more respected by the Germans than he was by us. They would have loved to have him.

Creative Mayhem
09-28-2004, 10:58 AM
HAHA nice pic steelrat

GQSS

Steelrat
09-28-2004, 11:13 AM
basicly every other countrys armys were big into style and dress. the lugar pistol was more of a show piece than a functioning combat firearm. if you look back and compare the way other countrys armys and generals acted compared to ours, its cool. patton would have been killed if he was a german commander.

The Germans respected Patton. In fact, the reason the "fake" D-day invasion plans for the Pas de Calais were so effective was because the allies had put Patton in charge of the imaginary army. The Germans could never comprehend that the US would put its best general in charge of a ruse.

Mister Sinister
09-28-2004, 12:26 PM

So being stylishly dressed and carrying around show pieces makes a good army and wins wars? :rolleyes:

Mango
09-28-2004, 03:17 PM

PyRo
09-28-2004, 03:20 PM
So being stylishly dressed and carrying around show pieces makes a good army and wins wars? :rolleyes:
Aparently it does. If Japan hadn't screwed up and/or Hitlar didn't go into russia germany would be much bigger right now.

BobTheCow
09-28-2004, 03:21 PM
Hitler dance!! :D

HoppysMag
09-28-2004, 03:32 PM
i was just saying that other countrys had nicer uniforms. and as for patton, he was a great commander, but he was the typical loud american. running his mouth off, i dont think the very disciplined german army woulda liked that.

Steelrat
09-28-2004, 03:36 PM
i was just saying that other countrys had nicer uniforms. and as for patton, he was a great commander, but he was the typical loud american. running his mouth off, i dont think the very disciplined german army woulda liked that.

He wasn't so much loud as a prima donna. Discipline in the German army related more to the lower ranks than high command staff.

Mister Sinister
09-28-2004, 03:52 PM
And if Hitler wasnt a loud mouth I dont know who was. The german command had many flamboyant characters. Look at like Hermann Goering. Steelrat is right on the discipline of the enlisted ranks.

SlartyBartFast
09-28-2004, 04:10 PM

Sure does. Dress uniform is a HUGE part of group identity/image and discipline.

How else do you explain the US Marines dress uniforms with the swords?

Mister Sinister
09-28-2004, 04:27 PM
Yeah it does help install pride and group idenity. But are you gonna tell me if you take the sword and dress blues away from the Marines that they will no longer be good disciplined soldiers?

SlartyBartFast
09-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Yeah it does help install pride and group idenity. But are you gonna tell me if you take the sword and dress blues away from the Marines that they will no longer be good disciplined soldiers?

Actually, yes.

That or you have to replace the sword polishing and swinging with some other mindless drill to instill attention to detail, precision, and group identity.

PyRo
09-28-2004, 05:14 PM
Do they have any idea how to use the swords?

SlartyBartFast
09-28-2004, 05:21 PM
Do they have any idea how to use the swords?

http://www.marines.com/about_marines/thesword.asp

And I think you certainly need to know how to handle them for this:

http://www.okinawa.usmc.mil/Public%20Affairs%20Info/Archive%20News%20Pages/2003/030314-kali.html

But, I'm sure I've seen the cerimonial sword used in drills.

Mister Sinister
09-28-2004, 06:15 PM
Actually, yes.

That or you have to replace the sword polishing and swinging with some other mindless drill to instill attention to detail, precision, and group identity.

I was agreeing you do need something to instill pride... but my point was it doesnt have to be a sword. For that matter the Marines stress excelling at anything you do no matter how mindless or menial whether its polishing a sword or peeling a potato thats the discipline.

BrockSampson
09-28-2004, 06:43 PM
the lugar pistol was more of a show piece than a functioning combat firearm.
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there. The Luger was an extremely effective sidearm. The caliber was a little small, but it was very accurate and reliable when maintained. It was not meant as a primary combat weapon, since that's what rifles are for, but it did what it was intended to do very well.

HoppysMag
09-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there. The Luger was an extremely effective sidearm. The caliber was a little small, but it was very accurate and reliable when maintained. It was not meant as a primary combat weapon, since that's what rifles are for, but it did what it was intended to do very well.

the lugar was underpowered and jammed under actual combat conditions. theres a reason the US army decided against it ( a special 45 caliber model)

" when well maintained" isnt good enough for a weapon on wich one life rely. the walther was viewed as a more reliable and easyer to produce design.

BrockSampson
09-28-2004, 09:11 PM
I've been in the military for over 12 years now, so I know quite a bit about putting my life in the hands of a weapon. Every gun the US has used in actual combat has jammed at one point or another, and yes, they all must be maintained in order to function properly. It doesn't make them bad guns, it's simply inevitable given the conditions they are subjected to. This wasn't a Walther vs. Luger vs. blah blah debate thread, and I won't continue it as such. I discovered long ago that trying to argue with someone younger and less experienced than myself is often pointless if they think they've already got all the answers... :rolleyes:

HoppysMag
09-28-2004, 10:15 PM
ok what ever. :rolleyes: play the age card. i was never doubting the lugar i simply stated the pistol was viewd as a status icon, you may have been in the military for 12 years and may be older than me. but il take the history channels, profesionaly published pistol reviews and the big book of small arms word on this subject over yours... sorry.

oldsoldier
09-28-2004, 10:26 PM
You want to read a good book on the German army, and their training, read "Soldat". It is an autobiography of a 16 year old, enlisting into germany's wehrmacht. Excellent book...goes through their training, and discipline.
And, the uniforms do instil pride. As much as a PITA it can be to make them presentable, it makes you feel good to wear them. People recognize a soldier (Sailor, airman, marine), by thier dress uniforms; and, within the services (well, the army, anyway), people can be VERY critical of each others uniforms. Hell, the Army Times runs at LEAST one column per issue that critiques some soldier's uniform from each previous issue. I am sure the other services, and their corresponding rags, do the same.

BrockSampson
09-28-2004, 11:41 PM
You were right, and I stand corrected. From now on, I'll try to form my opinions from personal experience, rather than being a mindless drone of the media.
Why thank you! That was quite mature and insightful of you. I shall put you out now. ;)

Target Practice
09-29-2004, 12:17 AM
Hooray for the Venture Bros.

Konigballer
09-29-2004, 01:02 AM
of course the germans were sharply dressed, the bad guys always look cooler. Its like a rule of warfare. Cobra always looked cooler than stupid GI JOE and they're "come as you are" dress code. Chuckles wore a hawaiian shirt for god's sake.

The krauts looked cooler in both world wars, its like they're consolation prize for losing.

HoppysMag
09-29-2004, 10:08 AM
Why thank you! That was quite mature and insightful of you. I shall put you out now. ;)

insite this, **** yourself.

BobTheCow
09-29-2004, 10:50 AM
Enjoy your 3 days, HoppysMag.

of course the germans were sharply dressed, the bad guys always look cooler. Its like a rule of warfare. Cobra always looked cooler than stupid GI JOE and they're "come as you are" dress code. Chuckles wore a hawaiian shirt for god's sake. Truer words have never been spoken!!! Ninja Turtles vs. the Foot... although they were turtles, and a rat, so that was kind of cool. :ninja:

SlartyBartFast
09-29-2004, 10:57 AM
but il take the history channels, profesionaly published pistol reviews and the big book of small arms word on this subject over yours... sorry.

I'd take a soldier's view of weapons over any one else's. And PLEASE don't take the History channel seriously. That would be like watching TLC to actually learn something indepth.

Their latest on the war of 1812 was pathetic. Perhaps it was only the promos, their website isn't too attrocious but there's a lot of revisionism in there too. :rolleyes:

And by the way, circumventing the curse filter is a no-no. :nono:

cphilip
09-29-2004, 11:44 AM

You just earned yourself a Day off for challenging the curse filter and flamming

PyRo
09-29-2004, 01:36 PM
I'd take a soldier's view of weapons over any one else's.
I would take a soliers view if they had used the gun on a regular basis especially in a combat situation (how many seemingly fine weapons have found to be seriously flawed once used in combat). How many people on this board have used a lugar in combat?

BrockSampson
09-29-2004, 04:06 PM
the bad guys always look cooler. Its like a rule of warfare. Cobra always looked cooler than stupid GI JOE and they're "come as you are" dress code. Chuckles wore a hawaiian shirt for god's sake.
:rofl:
Just look at Star Wars.
Bad guys: Darth Vader, Boba Fet, Imperial guards, Storm Troopers, TIE fighter pilots, etc...
Good guys: Ummmm... Lea, Yoda, Luke? Han was all right, but he had bad guy tendencies anyway. The only time Lea looked cool was when she was pretending to be a bad guy!

I would take a soliers view if they had used the gun on a regular basis especially in a combat situation (how many seemingly fine weapons have found to be seriously flawed once used in combat). How many people on this board have used a lugar in combat?
You have a very good point there. Neither I, nor anyone I know, has ever used one in combat, but we do shoot them for fun. We have standard weapons issued which we must use, unlike some police forces where you may elect to use either the service sidearm or your own. I wouldn't really want to use a Luger in combat even if I had the choice, considering what's available now! I was merely trying to debunk Hoppys’ statement that they were merely a "show piece" and not a "functioning combat firearm", which I believe to be false. :cheers:

logamus
09-29-2004, 04:34 PM
http://www.marines.com/about_marines/thesword.asp

And I think you certainly need to know how to handle them for this:

http://www.okinawa.usmc.mil/Public%20Affairs%20Info/Archive%20News%20Pages/2003/030314-kali.html

But, I'm sure I've seen the cerimonial sword used in drills.
only officers carry the sword so i dont think that example can be applied to the entire corps.

FutureMagOwner
09-29-2004, 06:20 PM

that was mature.

PyRo
09-29-2004, 07:47 PM
:rofl:
Just look at Star Wars.
Bad guys: Darth Vader, Boba Fet, Imperial guards, Storm Troopers, TIE fighter pilots, etc...
Good guys: Ummmm... Lea, Yoda, Luke? Han was all right, but he had bad guy tendencies anyway. The only time Lea looked cool was when she was pretending to be a bad guy!

You have a very good point there. Neither I, nor anyone I know, has ever used one in combat, but we do shoot them for fun. We have standard weapons issued which we must use, unlike some police forces where you may elect to use either the service sidearm or your own. I wouldn't really want to use a Luger in combat even if I had the choice, considering what's available now! I was merely trying to debunk Hoppys’ statement that they were merely a "show piece" and not a "functioning combat firearm", which I believe to be false. :cheers:

Well of course newer is usually better, which would you rather have?
The Renault Light Tank built in 1918 which is actually just a heavially modified trike
http://img88.exs.cx/img88/5605/Tank1.jpg

Or one of these.
http://img88.exs.cx/img88/9210/Tank2.jpg

lopxtc
09-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Actually you are wrong ... NCO's and above are authorized a sword also. There are two swords in the Marine Corps;

The Officer, or Mameluke sword, and the enlisted NCO sword based off an Army design. As a former Marine Corporal I led several drills and was required to carry and use my sword in these. Not mention the many formal occassions where I had to wear it with my dress blues also.

The sword you always see in the commercials and ads is the officer sword ... outside of being a Marine you dont see the enlisted sword to much. I would be more then happy to take a pic of mine for you though if you would like to see it.

Aaron

only officers carry the sword so i dont think that example can be applied to the entire corps.

***Edit ... in this link (http://www.marines.com/about_marines/thesword.asp) about the sword you can see the hilt, and some of the handle and blade of the enlisted sword.

Lohman446
09-29-2004, 09:17 PM
Wait a dang minute... was that tank camoflauged using BRIGHT ORANGE as a main camo color? :eek: Oh wait, it was made by teh French.. that explains something

And as for the Luger.. umm I wonder how many people were killed by that "showpiece"

Back to the tank.. is that a hand crank starter on the OUTSIDE? I can just see it. Ahh man, I stalled it, you, go start it...

SlartyBartFast
09-30-2004, 10:45 AM
Wait a dang minute... was that tank camoflauged using BRIGHT ORANGE as a main camo color? :eek:

You ain't seen nothin till you've seen the crazy scatter camoflage that was experimented with in WWII.

It proved to be the most effective, but I think they had to abandon it because the colour schemes made the crew physically ill. :p

Jack_Dubious
09-30-2004, 11:18 AM
http://img88.exs.cx/img88/5605/Tank1.jpg

bahaha..When i first glanced at this picture I thought it was a paintball tank someone had built for a scenario.
:p

JDub

HoppysMag
09-30-2004, 11:39 AM
You just earned yourself a Day off for challenging the curse filter and flamming
we both know iv been on this forum long enough that to know how to get around the filter.
and if you dont see his comment as a flame then you need to rethink your definition of a flame.

as for lohans comment "
And as for the Luger.. umm I wonder how many people were killed by that "showpiece"

not nearly as many as the walther P38, the most commonly issued german pistol during world war two. it was designed as a replacement for the luger, mauser stoped making the lugar in 43

the luger was exspensive and complex to make. it was issued as a weapon but worn as a status symbol, due to its price was issued to top officers, those that saw little physical combat. dont believe me, fine. but the fact remains, even the german army say the luger as aging and wanted to replace it... sorry.

you may have been int the army for 12 years or what ever. but last time i checked, the US army doesnt train with lugers or use them in combat.

oh and some of you need to learn the definition of "circumvent" it means to get around. had i wanted to i could have easly gotten around the filter.

cphilip
09-30-2004, 11:54 AM
...we both know iv been on this forum long enough that to know how to get around the filter....

Your longevity here is the reason you only got a day. But its also the reason you above many new members should know the conseqences of your action. Older established members are held to a slightly higher standard and expected to put forth good examples. Because they know better what problems they have seen and what the results of those were. Normaly three days minimum. Being a long standing member will get you some considerations. Both good and bad. Perhaps, as in this case, a shorter sentence. But perhaps less leeway on the call from the Mod at doling out the punishment.

PyRo
09-30-2004, 12:01 PM
I want to be a moderator :)

HoppysMag
09-30-2004, 01:47 PM
that "you should know better" thing always gets me, :( im sorry phil please forgive me :cry:

really though sorry, but i just wanted you to know i wasnt trying to get around the filter.