PDA

View Full Version : Norton Internet Security HELP NEEDED!!

hAppy
09-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Once again, I have ran into another computer related problem :(
You see... I installed Norton Internet Security awhile back. Now for the explanation.

After installing my Norton, sometimes I would get a notice something about "Trojan blocked". This would appear everytime I turn on the computer. Eventually my Norton would stop working, and a notice would say "virus has disabled Norton, reinstall Norton". And there would be no way to get around this (that I could discover). So I try to reinstall, but it says I need a password, I don't even have a password! I have tried add / remove programs, and I have tried to delete the folder all together, and still it tells me I need a PW.

So instead of uninstalling it, I would just restore my computer a couple days back, well I have repeated this restore every couple days! I am sick of it, I want to fix the problem or just get rid of Norton all together.

Any advice? Please? Help? :cry:

Mister Sinister
09-28-2004, 08:32 PM
The trojan is probably backed up in system restore you need to turn it off then delete the trojan.. then turn system restore back on.

hAppy
09-28-2004, 09:21 PM
The trojan is probably backed up in system restore you need to turn it off then delete the trojan.. then turn system restore back on.
THanks for advice, but how do I delete the trojan?

Mister Sinister
09-28-2004, 09:42 PM
Do you know what trojan it is? another good idea may be to turn off system restore.. then restart in safe mode so the trojan isnt started... then scan with the norton... does your norton still function it should have logs of all the activity that its done.. it should be able to give you the name of the trojan.. then if you go to symantecs website they have write ups that are pretty detailed about how to remove them

hAppy
09-28-2004, 09:52 PM
Do you know what trojan it is? another good idea may be to turn off system restore.. then restart in safe mode so the trojan isnt started... then scan with the norton... does your norton still function it should have logs of all the activity that its done.. it should be able to give you the name of the trojan.. then if you go to symantecs website they have write ups that are pretty detailed about how to remove them
Thanks for the info! That was very helpful. And honestly I don't know what a Trojan is, I just know it's one of those evil computer killing things. :p

Mister Sinister
09-28-2004, 10:04 PM
Here if your norton isnt working try http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ its a free online virus scan its caught a couple things for me that symantec missed.

hAppy
09-29-2004, 09:04 AM
Thanks, you been a big help :headbang:

hAppy
09-29-2004, 06:32 PM
Ok so far, I have reinstalled Norton, and now a less complicated issue has arised, I can't connect to the internet. With a bit of experimenting here and there, I found out that when I disable the security, I can connect to the internet.

So the problem is simple, make Norton allow SBC to connect, but how?! I don't know how to tell Norton to stop blocking SBC. Someone please explain!

Mister Sinister
09-30-2004, 12:30 AM
Has it been blocked out of the firewall rules? Try turning off just the fire wall and leave the rest of norton running and see if it lets you connect then. If it does you just have to reconfigure your firewall settings.

hAppy
09-30-2004, 12:36 AM
The firewall has like major identity crisises. It used to let me go online, than it didn't. Than it would turn off on it's own and blame it on a virus. I'd search for the virus on safe mode and find nothing. Eventually I was able to delete the program, not sure why it let me.... but it did. And now I replaced it with ZoneAlarm and this Avast! anti virus. All seems well now.... Thanks a bunch man! You been the most helpful in the 3 threads I made on this situation. Thanks :hail:

Mister Sinister
09-30-2004, 12:45 AM
Sadly i know about norton and its finickyness first hand. But hey glad i could help some :dance:

hAppy
09-30-2004, 09:10 AM
Well as always, when I eliminate one issue, another rises. I am trying to setup my network now. For w/e reason I can't, and yes I've had experience with this, should be easy! On one of my computers, when I click "My Network Places" it would take like 5 mins (literally) to open up the window! What is the problem here? :(