PDA

View Full Version : Shortest 3-way?

trains are bad
09-29-2004, 10:01 AM
What is the shortest throw 3 way on the market? And how do they all work/achieve their short throw?

Also, I need some LP tubing. Is one kind better than another? Is there somewhere to buy it cheaply? Do I need to run the top hat thingys?

VFX_Fenix
09-29-2004, 04:46 PM
More of an Autococker question.. but one of the shortest that I know of is the Palmer Microswitch or CCM 3-way. The way they achieve the short throw is by *fan faire* putting the holes closer together and using a shorter 3-way rod that puts the o-rings closer.

As far as I know one flavor of 3-way line is as good as the next, they all break around 100psi or so. Cheaply is an issue I suppose, I usually get 3-way hose from KAPP or Shocktech.

EDIT - yes, hats are recommended, but not always required, some barbs are small enough that the hose will fly off if they get over presured, other barbs will be so big that you couldn't hope to slide a hat over it.

trains are bad
09-29-2004, 06:13 PM
I know the short ones are the orracle, the quickswitch, and the besailles hollowpoint, but which one of those is shortest? There has to be a 'shortest'.

I know my orracle uses lots of little holes all the way around to achieve its throw. It's quick but I was wondering if there was anything out there quicker.

the electrician
09-29-2004, 09:38 PM
it's 4-way actually

I'm a bit partial to the orracle design, but then again, there's good reason for that ;) it's short, simple design , also has good flow rate.

the palmer is actually the first of that design type. it just has more pieces to do the same thing in the same way. some people say they are a bit leaky. they are very short and very light, and best of all, have alot higher flow than most.

the bomb is short, but restrictive. enough to affect reaction time.

seems like somebody told me they were using a clippard mechanical 4-way, but I don't remeber which. you might be able to use the valve part of a solenoid valve, and get a really short throw I haven't tried that yet. seems like Punisher mentioned that at one time. not very pretty, but really effective.

whatever one you use, slap some good QEVs on your ram to increase you response, and possibly lower you cocking psi. clippard, pnuemadyne(palmer sells these), humphreys.

there are two basic kinds of hose. vinyl, and urethane. vinyl is the cheap and common stuff. urethane has more elasticity, does not stay distorted from being on a nipple like the vinyl does. it cost a little more. both are cheap in a 50 ft. roll from clippard. I like the urethane.

trains are bad
09-29-2004, 10:52 PM
Thanks a lot dude! That's the info I was looking for.

I want to know why it's a 4way though, considering it only has three barbs and directs air from one source to 2 different locations, I don't see where ppl get 4 way?

E r y k
09-29-2004, 10:56 PM
sounds like someones going to cook up a home made deadly wind themselves :P

i thought the bomb was the shortest?

trains are bad
09-29-2004, 11:01 PM
No just looking at cocker parts.

Is this a QEV suitable for use on a cocker ram? What's the diff between the two styles? Should I get 2? I'm building a mech cocker.

http://www.clippard.com/store/display_details.asp?sku=MEV-2-M5

E r y k
09-29-2004, 11:08 PM
i dont think QEV's are as necessary on a mech as they are on an eblade...

called a 4 way cause the timing rod counts as a "way" :P?

White_Noise
09-29-2004, 11:28 PM
cheapest place to get lp hose is from palmer if you dont want any colors besides clear.

as for shortest, the orracle is shortest, however i prefer my old style belsales(before the hollow point)

Destructo6
09-30-2004, 01:50 AM
I understand it's actually a 5-way: one input and 4 outputs, including the two exhausts. Still call them 3-ways, though.

Anyways, I've been using the Shocktech Bomb and Orracle 3-ways on my Autocockers. The Bomb uses 2 Orings and small orrifices to get the short throw. The Orracle is a more conventional 3 Oring design. WGP's CT 3-way is the same as the Orracle, but without the adjusting knob on the end, which I've never used.

Top hats complicate working on the pneumatics and aren't really needed. As long as the hose ends are fresh, they should hold fine.

QEVs are not normally considered important for a mechanical Autococker. If you Eblade or Race it, by all means slap some QEVs on the ram.

the electrician
09-30-2004, 04:35 PM
it's actually a two position, 5 port, 4-way valve.

one input, two outputs, and two exhausts. one exhaust is out the front of the valve, the other is out the back, around the rod. unless it's a bomb, on the bomb valve, you'll notice the small holes on each end. those are exhaust holes.

the spool is moved from one position to another, two positions total.

don't use the bomb, it's restrictive. most valves that use those small hose fitting are restrictive.

I'd try the palmer, or use the orracle, or you can do some research, get brave and find one on your own from clippard, SMC, or humphreys etc.

QEVs, you don't want the M5 threads. you want 10-32 thread.
actually I have them in nickel finish, and some clear urethane hose.

you can PM me.