PDA

View Full Version : A New Idea For Sponsorship

SlartyBartFast
09-30-2004, 04:15 PM
How about instead of sponsoring teams or even events, a paintball industry heavyweight sponsored a Judging/Refereeing organisation?

WenULiVeUdiE
09-30-2004, 04:31 PM
If they do that, how will all the teams still be able to whipe?

Seriosuly though, it wouldnt do much at all for them, at least for now. When a team is sponsored, they are done so to spread the world of the products. Refs cant do that really.

SlartyBartFast
09-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Seriosuly though, it wouldnt do much at all for them, at least for now. When a team is sponsored, they are done so to spread the world of the products. Refs cant do that really.

Sure they can. Every ref uniform, rules package, signs at judges tables, chronographs, and at each field would promote the company.

It would certainly be a different approach to promote good fair play instead of the usual bad attitude that's hyped in tournamnets.

WenULiVeUdiE
09-30-2004, 05:02 PM
Sure they can. Every ref uniform, rules package, signs at judges tables, chronographs, and at each field would promote the company.

It would certainly be a different approach to promote good fair play instead of the usual bad attitude that's hyped in tournamnets.

That's the problem, not many companys want to risk all that money for a campaign that may or may not work. And the ones that can easily afford it, wouldnt need to do it. Also, do you watch the ref, or the player more? I just think the refs wont get enough coverage for the campaign to work well.

But with paintball getting on TV, this could happen.

AcemanPB
09-30-2004, 05:20 PM
I think it's a good idea

SlartyBartFast
09-30-2004, 05:20 PM
And the way the "pros" do it now is just wrong. They want you to pay for the course!!!

http://www.warpig.com/newswire/prwire_releases/1096553107240.shtml

Do you get paid in return for the day you actually ref an event?

Well, I suppose if Golf fans are dumb enough to volunteer to work at Pro tournaments, paintball players dumb enough to pay for training that benifits the event certainly have company.

LaW
09-30-2004, 05:28 PM
We need a refereeing organization for the sport, but we DONT need it to be backed by any big industry leaders thats for sure. We already have the sport ran by the industry including the refs. Too much influence alread so lets introduce more? No, do not think it would be a good idea.

How about a organized center for the sport of paintball instead of 2 million different tournament series? How about said organization being unbiased, creating a professional paintball referee association. Get rid of industry influence, lets not let the industry dictate how this sport progresses! Lets take it into our hands, because we are the future of paintball and we should be the ones who lead the sport! Now whos coming with me?

This is almost impossible at this point in time, and would take a lot of money and time to accomplish. It would also take some kind of unity between all the leading figures in the sport of paintball. I am also sure the industry wouldnt like it.

I am sure I didnt make some sense somewhere but I am sure you can get a little something out of it.

LaW
09-30-2004, 05:31 PM
And the way the "pros" do it now is just wrong. They want you to pay for the course!!!

http://www.warpig.com/newswire/prwire_releases/1096553107240.shtml

Do you get paid in return for the day you actually ref an event?

Well, I suppose if Golf fans are dumb enough to volunteer to work at Pro tournaments, paintball players dumb enough to pay for training that benifits the event certainly have company.

Definately a step in the right direction... as far as reffing is concerned. You have to pay to go to school to become whatever you want to be. I dont think its too bad to have to pay to become a pro ref, it makes sense to me, you have to in many other organizations. Now if you were not getting paid something to ref the event for an entire day I have a big problem with that.

The fact that on nppl.tv, when looking for refs they refer to it as "hiring pro refs" leads me to believe that these refs do get paid so all in all its a good thing.

C_22
09-30-2004, 05:37 PM
I think it's a good idea

Same here.

steveo356
09-30-2004, 09:35 PM
well teh big tourny promoters could make the entrence fee a little higher and hire a crew of refs that. fallow the tour. I think this would be about as close to an unbiased judging system as we'll get unless we get and nfl like paintball federation with refs makin 75k a year. until then we can just hope the nppl is paying the refs to do a good job

LaW
09-30-2004, 10:00 PM
well teh big tourny promoters could make the entrence fee a little higher and hire a crew of refs that. fallow the tour. I think this would be about as close to an unbiased judging system as we'll get unless we get and nfl like paintball federation with refs makin 75k a year. until then we can just hope the nppl is paying the refs to do a good job

The way they are doing it is pretty close to having a crew following the tour if they get enough people qualified in enough places. I think for the most part the only reason to turn someone away is close business ties with a team on the pro tour...

elpimpo
10-01-2004, 01:36 PM
im confused. why are people saying refs dont get paid. i get paid for every nppl event i do, and pretty good cash for a teenager. i get 100 a day plus airfare + hotel.

LaW
10-01-2004, 02:37 PM
im confused. why are people saying refs dont get paid. i get paid for every nppl event i do, and pretty good cash for a teenager. i get 100 a day plus airfare + hotel.

If refs didnt get paid the system wouldnt work anyway. I dont think anyone said that they dont but more that it didnt say anywhere that they did and how much they did. I assumed they did, but without the facts sitting in front of me you never know

Carbon
10-01-2004, 02:50 PM
Interestingly enough, the reff issue is indicative of the deficiency of the paintball governing body in general. As of current there in no one (1), unified paintball commision/governing body. ala Baseball commission, Little leauge, pop warner, pro hockey ect.

Personally, it is better to have a paid ref than a volunteer ref, this helps negate the arbitration (in this case, as a ref, quitting mid game or event) and promotes impartiality. I certainly would not want an X-company sponsored ref, while playing vs an x-company sponsored team at an x-company sponsored event.

143Paul
10-01-2004, 03:24 PM
well the big tourny promoters could make the entrence fee a little higher and hire a crew of refs that. fallow the tour. I think this would be about as close to an unbiased judging system as we'll get unless we get and nfl like paintball federation with refs makin 75k a year. until then we can just hope the nppl is paying the refs to do a good job

This is exactly what the NPPL is doing. They have asked us to make a comitment to reffing and not playing. They do pay us and they pay for us to get to the event. Basicly after I eat and figure in lost work time - I break even. But i do it because I want to see the sport get better - I played for many years, and now I'm taking my game to the next level.

As far as us being sponsored - I would like to be sponsored. Right now most companies exstend player pricing to the refs - Thank you to everyone who has given me a few $$ off. It does help. I destroy a set of knee pads & pants at every event. I have to be on the field for about 165 games...

Please recall that the NFL was not the only football promoter when that sport started out. As time goes on I'm sure that there will only be one major paintball tourny promoter, but it's far too early to tell who that is going to be...

SlartyBartFast
10-01-2004, 03:58 PM
Basicly after I eat and figure in lost work time - I break even.

Well, IMO you're still volunteering to referee then. The referees are asked to make a number of sacrifices, and at the end of the day end up on the losing end with little benefit.

As for the courses, it should be they pay you for time spent reffing if you pass the course and get certified. And unless you can make a decent dollar reffing they shouldn't charge you anything to recertify.