PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Stocks for Mags

Mosfet
10-05-2004, 04:00 PM
Hi All,
I was sitting here trying to get a break from work and I was thinking on paintball of course.
While I myself am trying to get into tourny ball, I have an old mag, and happen to like building things, so I was thinking of making a wooden stock, and probably a trigger setup so its more proportionate to a Ruger 22 or a M1 Carbine.
Possibly Thompson SMG, or other types that fit well.

Yes its not "Agg," and its not Tourney fashionable. so you closed minded stay out.
What do you rec-ballers think?
Would it be something you guys would like?
If the first one turns out well, I may try making more.
I'm just wondering if theres an actual demand out there for custom wooden stocks.

Chronobreak
10-05-2004, 04:06 PM
good idea however i think durability might be questionable, but yeah make one and let us know. the stock would probly be ok but as for the trigger im not sure

themish
10-05-2004, 05:11 PM
if the stock is to be attached to the rail, then count me in for sure

SlartyBartFast
10-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Well, you just cut out a real rifle body/stock to accept the Mag rail and body and cut down the Mag trigger frame to hold just the trigger.

The Mag would just drop in and could be held in place with a setscrew, or the frame screw could be used.

Bad_Dog
10-05-2004, 05:48 PM
^^ seen someone who did that... looked pretty cool^^^

paint magnet
10-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I think it was modeled after the M-1 Garand.

teufelhunden
10-05-2004, 06:21 PM
good idea however i think durability might be questionable, but yeah make one and let us know. the stock would probly be ok but as for the trigger im not sure

If it's anything like a real rifle stock... there's zero reason at all to question the durability.

Target Practice
10-05-2004, 06:27 PM
Rusty's Paintball Gear (http://www.rustyspaintballgear.com/)

Mosfet
10-05-2004, 07:07 PM
WOW! Thats freaking awesome!
I wasn't planning on mine looking anywhere near as good as those do!
Wow! :hail:

space_weazel_45
10-06-2004, 02:29 PM
also
http://www.tacticalpaintballgear.com/Custom%20Markers.html
http://www.extremesportsandhobbies.com/m14.html

LunchBox89
10-06-2004, 02:36 PM
make sure to use mahogany stock for this wood working project because thats the same wood they use on gun stocks because its durable and ware resistant

Mosfet
10-06-2004, 02:49 PM
Holy crap all of these are expensive!!!
Even the ones made from crappy Air Soft Plastic parts!

They look real nice tho! :D

Wow! I was actually thinking along more simpler lines, mag + wooden stock + some small metal bits (trigger, guard, maybe a butt plate)
Definately nothing as fancy as these things! :P

Pballwizz
10-06-2004, 03:23 PM
I was looking for em a while ago, to bad I decided to get a Shocker :P Once I get a job though, I wanna build a Mil Sim mag, I think it would be fun.

Mosfet
10-06-2004, 03:49 PM
Thats kinda funny, cause I just picked up a shocker, and once I get some cash, I'm building a stock for my mag! :D

master_alexander
10-06-2004, 05:02 PM
you also might worry about weight

Mosfet
10-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Well its definately not going to weigh any more than a real rifle.

paint magnet
10-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Talk about expensive...the MP5 Spyder is $999,999!
http://www.rustyspaintballgear.com/catalog/details.asp?ID_Wep=53

And while I realize that these markers look nothing short of amazing, how does anyone actually manage to shoot them from a shouldered position with a mask on?

LudavicoSoldier
10-06-2004, 07:12 PM
I see this project as a rather easy one. Basically all you need to do is bed the stock of your choice for a stock mag rail. As long as you can get a small enough stock (.22 or .177 stock) you should be able to get the trigger rod to come out of the stock correctly (carve it out) and then mount a pivot trigger of some sort in front of it. Anyone know where I can get stock "blanks" that have not been beded for a particular rifle?

Mosfet
10-06-2004, 09:03 PM
yeah. its a real simple project.
It'd be even simpler if I had a jig saw, belt sander, and some other tools :P

LunchBox89
10-06-2004, 09:43 PM
well to get a real good look your going to need a jointer a plainer if possible a chop saw and table saw and a belt sander but avoid sanders because it will remove your perfectly cut angle

Konigballer
10-06-2004, 10:51 PM
Hey, I would LOVE to see what a wooden-stocked Mag would look like.

I think paterning a stock off something like a M1-carbine is a good idea, but heres a pic of one weapon you might find interesting, the german MP-18 from WW1.

As you can see, the design of the reciever and barrel was very tubular, much like the Automag, so it would be a good design match. I think it would look interesting, especially if your had an RT body elongated to resemble the barrel shroud of the MP-18. Good luck, I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Mosfet
10-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Thats awesome!
I'm gonna shoot for that one.
It may or may not have a shroud
But that ones definately a winner!

Jackel411
10-07-2004, 09:58 AM
I had this stock made to fit a mag , I was going to mount my classic into it..but I got side tracked and slapped a bolt action WGP ranger in it..

I bought a stock blank custom made by a friend of mine and then milled it to fit a mag rail Just never finished it but here it is a WGP ranger Well Im still working out the trigger.. the ASA is not on that picture yet.. but its more internal so it doesnt matter..

lew
10-07-2004, 11:14 AM
make sure to use mahogany stock for this wood working project because thats the same wood they use on gun stocks because its durable and ware resistant

Most gun stocks use walnut. Mahogany is way to expensive.

Mosfet
10-07-2004, 01:12 PM
I'm gonna use pine!
no really! :D
or maybe something a little harder, but definately something not too expensive!

LunchBox89
10-07-2004, 03:06 PM
bad idea on pine if you want it to look good get a good hard wood dont go cheap on something like this and oh yes it is walnut you have corrected me sorry im in training

if you need some help im sure we can help heres an idea i just came up with get 2 boards should be about 7 linear feet by about 5" wide cut into lengths you want the stock to be glue up the stock to the thickness you want by face glueing them once that is completed scrape the glue the take some work making the long square board to what you want make sure you draw your design with a straight edge in pencil on the wood :cheers:

to lazy to use punctuation

Bad_Dog
10-07-2004, 05:00 PM
that would make it a laminated stock... just instead of having thin slices of veneer... you'd have a few larger pieces (3 or 4)...

I made a stock for a bolt action rifle that I have... they're not too hard to make... but its also easier when you're going to paint the stock because then you can use any type of wood and or however many pieces you want... just glue them together and maby use a lil bondo to smooth out some of the areas :p

here's the one I made for my Romainian .22lr:

http://img85.exs.cx/img85/2795/RifleStock002b.jpg

I'll see if I can find some more pictures...

Pyrate Jim
10-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Jim Masse of the Paintball Marshals does some fine custom stocks.

http://www.pbmarshals.com/stocks.html

Mosfet
10-07-2004, 08:34 PM
Very nice stuff!
I'm just shooting for the low end home made stuff good for function, and OK on looks.
Can't expect too much while I'm doing it out of the second floor of a condo. :P
Mostly for myself, and maybe a few others but not for profit.
I just want to do them because I seem to have more fun building things then using them. :P
maybe make a few rec ballers at the local field happy. :)
Kinda like Bad_Dog's! Although I hope to use stain instead of paint. But painted isn't out of the question.

LunchBox89
10-07-2004, 08:47 PM
use ebony stain

Mosfet
10-07-2004, 08:55 PM
oooo.. good idea! :)

LunchBox89
10-07-2004, 09:01 PM
cheapest way to make pine look good ebony stain ebony is like 100 bucks a board foot

Bad_Dog
10-07-2004, 09:16 PM
you can find some 2x6's and laminate 2of them together making a 3 inch wide piece...

Go to Home Depot and buy one 8 foot 2x6... cut it in half and clamp+glue the two pieces together... the total demensions will be 48" long, 3" thick, and 5-1/2" tall...

good start if you ask me...

doc_Zox
10-07-2004, 09:30 PM
http://www.boydboys.com/blanks.asp

halfHP
10-07-2004, 11:47 PM
Hey,

Just happened to see this thread and thought I would share what I have - I havnt read all the posts in this thread (got too excited) so forgive me if someone else already came up with this.

A few years back I looked around for a stock to go onto an Automag that would have a more solid feel than the flimsy wireframe stocks. I didnt find anything so I designed my own. Initially I tried to just cut out a m14 stock and drop everything inside like those other guys do when they make their replicas. It looks good but it really interferes with the functionality of the gun. You have to make a custom trigger system which will always be inferior and its really hard getting into the mechanics of the gun when you need to take it apart.

So I made my own design that bolts onto the bottom of the handle, has a small riser to allow large bottles to connect under the handle and give a small amount of flexibility for the kind of stock you mount onto it.

I'm at work right now so I could only find these 2 pictures of it:
http://www.bayareapaintball.com/forums/uploads/post-2-1071455456.jpg

Me holding the gun:
http://www.bayareapaintball.com/pictures/unsorted/paintball%20-%204-3/P1010012.JPG

It is heavy - the metal part is made from stainless steel. But it is definitely lighter than those replica guns. I have a newer design that uses aluminum and a lighter stock, really helps.

As far as the functionality of this gun, its not made for speedball but if you like playing in the woods, a marker with a stock is BY FAR superior. People that try my gun with and without the stock say it is night and day as far as accuracy goes. Even when you are shooting 1-handed.

Anyway, sorry for the long bit of bla bla bla. Just thought this was the perfect thread to say that I am selling these stocks, complete with the back end of a real m14 mounted on. The ones for sale are the newer ones made from aluminum. Lemme know if you are interested. If I can get 10 interested buyers I will have the machine shop produce a batch for me.

Can also look me up at www.bayareapaintball.com

Nick