PDA

View Full Version : need autococker owner's opinions on this!

hawpunch
10-06-2004, 04:33 PM
i have a turtled ebladed cocker that i want to convert into a mini. i just spoke with my cocker tech here in the islands, and he said that it would greatly drop my efficiency if i do the conversion. can any cocker owners comment on this? thanks.

jae park

Lumberjack
10-06-2004, 04:38 PM
Not really. Your OP will increase slightl, so that may be why they say that. I shoot a Mini Cocker and it tends to be a gas hog at times.

lew
10-06-2004, 04:45 PM
You're guns efficiency won't drop. If the gun is 2000+, the air chambers will be large enough so that the gun can operate at the same pressure as it did when it was full-size. I shoot a Mini and get over 2000 shots from and 88/45.

FallNAngel
10-06-2004, 05:08 PM
i have a turtled ebladed cocker that i want to convert into a mini. i just spoke with my cocker tech here in the islands, and he said that it would greatly drop my efficiency if i do the conversion. can any cocker owners comment on this? thanks.

jae park

why it would drop your efficiency at all makes me wonder, let alone "greatly". Yeah, there's less room for post regulated air, but that doesn't mean you use more air when you fire the gun.

VFX_Fenix
10-06-2004, 05:29 PM
For efficientcy at lower pressures with an AC, STAY AWAY FROM MINI!!!!!

Reason being that the extra space that's chopped of in the mini converstion serves as a volumizing chamber. Everything being equal, a shot with a higher input pressure will use a higer volume of air as opposed to a lower input pressure. Recharge is the issue here more than anything else. At high ROF's the more regulated air you have before the valve the better. This high volume of regulated air maintains certain characteristics (i.e. density and temprature) that will help with efficiency. A given chamber at some pressure also has more net energy than a smaller shamber at higher pressure.

A full sized post 2000 AC, well tuned, can achieve upwards of 2000 shots from a 68/45.
My '99 AC with stock guts/pnuems sees around 700 shots from a 47/3000 fill (not inspiring at all I know).

hawpunch
10-06-2004, 06:42 PM
vfx,

i have a 2003 orracle body. how much of a drop in efficiency and rate of fire are we talking about (rough estimate)? thanks.

jae park

personman
10-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Couldnt you just put one of those front block screw volumizer things to replace the front block screw on there? Would that compensate for the loss of the air chamber or whatever?

hawpunch
10-06-2004, 06:57 PM
personman,

what's a front block screw volumizer? thanks.

jae park

VFX_Fenix
10-06-2004, 07:11 PM
An LP Chamber (http://www.madcocker.com/detail.asp?AwID=102&CategoryID=0) would recover some lost volume due to the mini conversion. As for hard number of "how much will I loose" in terms of efficiency *shrug* this is just going from what lew posted about his AC's air usage per 88ci fill. From just raw numbers, say around a 20% (1/5) loss on shots per fill?

From what I know about AC bodies, the only thing that really changes from model to model is the exterior milling after 2000. So particular body doesn't matter so much as body year (pre/post 2000).

Low friction RAM (i.e. SMC or BelSales) combined with a good lpr and 3 way (BelSales/Freeflow/Plamer) will also help with your efficiency, though I don't know how much.

FallNAngel
10-06-2004, 07:35 PM
Reason being that the extra space that's chopped of in the mini converstion serves as a volumizing chamber. Everything being equal, a shot with a higher input pressure will use a higer volume of air as opposed to a lower input pressure.

Actually, I don't believe that's true. What you're saying is that a higher input pressure uses a higher volume of air and vice versa. At a higher pressure, you'd use a *lower* volume of air.

1000psi * 1ci of air = 1000
1ci of air * 1000psi = 1000

Recharge is the issue here more than anything else.

Yes, if you're worried about dropoff, yes, recharge rate is important. Although a good reg will help this, being that 2k+ bodies have a larger valve chamber by design, dropoff shouldn't be a problem with the speeds that anyone will be legally shooting.

At high ROF's the more regulated air you have before the valve the better.

Read above.

An LP Chamber (http://www.madcocker.com/detail.asp?AwID=102&CategoryID=0) would recover some lost volume due to the mini conversion.

For the most part from what I've heard, expansion chambers are more or less worthless, even on pre-2k bodies.

As for hard number of "how much will I loose" in terms of efficiency *shrug* this is just going from what lew posted about his AC's air usage per 88ci fill. From just raw numbers, say around a 20% (1/5) loss on shots per fill?

Got a link and data to support this?

From what I know about AC bodies, the only thing that really changes from model to model is the exterior milling after 2000. So particular body doesn't matter so much as body year (pre/post 2000).

This is correct. Everything basically stayed the same except body milling.

Low friction RAM (i.e. SMC or BelSales) combined with a good lpr and 3 way (BelSales/Freeflow/Plamer) will also help with your efficiency, though I don't know how much.

Although technically you do save air with a smoother ram, I'm not sure how much it would really affect efficiency. It'd actually be an interesting task to figure out though. However, I completely fail to see how an LPR or 3-way is going to make any difference at all in efficiency.

VFX_Fenix
10-06-2004, 08:36 PM
P1V1 = P2V2 a portion of the ideal gas law (PV=nRT)
Yes, however, there's a little more at work than just straight pressures and volumes. The volume of gas that's released by the valve causes a temprature shift in the pre-valve chamber (like with CO2 but not as pronounced). This changes the amount of energy that resides behind the not only by volume and pressure but temp as well. Durring the firing cycle there will be a small portion of gas that will condense as a result of this momentary loss of v/p/t. By minimizing the volume and pressure change in the chaber during firing events the decrease in temp and condensation of the gas will be lessend which helps to maintain consistant consumption of the valve during firing events. (EDIT - Can we see that if this trend continues long enough higher volumes of air with less energy per volume due to temp. will lead to the equivalent of sucking mostly low energy liquid through the valve as opposed to high energy gas which results in decreased efficiency because you're pulling more volume through the valve.)

There's also a consideration about muzzle velocity, if we want to hang on to V1P1=V2P2. Consider that the equalizing pressure for P2 is greater than the input pressure needed to fire the AC at 300fps? What if P2 (to shoot 300fps) were as much as half the pressure needed to equalize the new regulated air chamber V2 as the original chamber V1 @ P1? The end result is what shocker owners suffer from, their marker being too lp for it's own good (lp for lp's sake) and being a gas hog instead of starving their internals (increase in OP post Mini Conversion).

So let's say that Cocker A is full sized and has a pre-valve chamber volume of .785ci (2*(3.14*.25^2)) and an operating pressure of 21.77bar (~320psi). so V1P1 = 17.01

Cocker B has had the Mini conversion done to it which removes ~1.25" from the pre-valve chamber. So if we calculate V2 it comes out to 0.196 (0.5(3.14*.25^2)). So to be equal to V1P1, P2 must be 17.01/0.169 = 86.79bar (~1275.75psi), that's a HUGE increase in operating pressure to see the same 17.01 value and I'll bet that no cocker in the world will even be able to shoot at that pressure.

My 20% loss in efficiency is simply based off of two people's claims, one from this very form (lew) who claimed 2000+ shots from his mini'd cocker on an 88/45 and from Professional Paintball who claimed their Lockout could get 2000+ shots from a 68/45. The difference was a simple percentage calculation for loss.

The reason for the volume of air before the valve is to prevent shoot-down during long strings. By removing the extra volume the marker will starve unless given a higher input pressure to make up the lost volume. By removing that much volume of regulated air before the valve the Cocker must do one of two things (assuming everything stays the same) shoot hot or starve.

personman
10-06-2004, 08:41 PM
personman,

what's a front block screw volumizer? thanks.

jae park
Heh. I made up that term. Check Fenix's post below mine, he links to what I was talking about. Its a volumizer LPC type thing..

Dont laugh at me because I dont know the terms for cocker crap! :( :p

FallNAngel
10-06-2004, 08:56 PM
Cocker B has had the Mini conversion done to it which removes ~1.25" from the pre-valve chamber. So if we calculate V2 it comes out to 0.196 (0.5(3.14*.25^2)). So to be equal to V1P1, P2 must be 17.01/0.169 = 86.79bar (~1275.75psi), that's a HUGE increase in operating pressure to see the same 17.01 value and I'll bet that no cocker in the world will even be able to shoot at that pressure.

Yes, but that's kind of an off way to look at it. I've seen someone with a Midget cocker (a mini'd half block with the lower chamber cut flush with the back of the grip frame) and not once did I hear that he had to run at some obscene operating pressure to shoot 300.

My 20% loss in efficiency is simply based off of two people's claims, one from this very form (lew) who claimed 2000+ shots from his mini'd cocker on an 88/45 and from Professional Paintball who claimed their Lockout could get 2000+ shots from a 68/45. The difference was a simple percentage calculation for loss.

No offense, but again, this really has absolutely no basis. Did the person with the full bodied cocker have the same pneumatics, valve, valve spring, main spring, hammer, LPR pressure, paint, barrel and velocity as the mini cocker? Were they in the same geographic location? I highly doubt it. Even if they had similar parts, it doesn't mean they were tuned the same. No offense (and I know you're saying it was a guess), but going off of one instance on two separate markers doesn't show a trend to me. To me, I don't even see the whole mini vs full body in the shotcount above... I see a mini cocker that's tuned to get 1545 shots on a 68/4500 .. and that's with who knows what tuning, etc. Perhaps a simple spring change would boost up the numbers up to near 2000.

The reason for the volume of air before the valve is to prevent shoot-down during long strings. By removing the extra volume the marker will starve unless given a higher input pressure to make up the lost volume. By removing that much volume of regulated air before the valve the Cocker must do one of two things (assuming everything stays the same) shoot hot or starve.

How do you figure it has to either shoot hot or starve? I doubt all the people playing with mini cockers are either shooting hot or starving the valve of air. Look at Have Blue's reg test. I know he's said that the test doesn't quite show what you might think, but I'm looking more directly at one number. He tested an LCD Minireg on a Tribal with something like... 300psi output and 800psi input. The reg wasn't designed for that pressure range (and not for the Tribal) and performed the worst of all the regs tested. In the time frame he was working with, I don't even think it recharged fully. After that, everyone thought the reg was *horrible* and should definately be swapped out. What they didn't realize is that if the reg were to continue recharging linearly (even with it's bad recharge at the time), it could sustain a ROF somewhere around 20bps before it really started starving.

My point is, a good reg can recharge *very* quickly and I'd be very surprised if a minicocker would have trouble keeping up with the rof that someone would throw at it.

VFX_Fenix
10-06-2004, 09:12 PM
Yes, but that's kind of an off way to look at it. I've seen someone with a Midget cocker (a mini'd half block with the lower chamber cut flush with the back of the grip frame) and not once did I hear that he had to run at some obscene operating pressure to shoot 300.

This isn't saying that it will need to operate at some horrendously large OP, it's saying that the energy stored in the larger air chamber would have to be roughly quadrupled to maintain the same energy. What's a midget cocker now???

No offense, but again, this really has absolutely no basis. Did the person with the full bodied cocker have the same pneumatics, valve, valve spring, main spring, hammer, LPR pressure, paint, barrel and velocity as the mini cocker? Were they in the same geographic location? I highly doubt it. Even if they had similar parts, it doesn't mean they were tuned the same. No offense (and I know you're saying it was a guess), but going off of one instance on two separate markers doesn't show a trend to me. To me, I don't even see the whole mini vs full body in the shotcount above... I see a mini cocker that's tuned to get 1545 shots on a 68/4500 .. and that's with who knows what tuning, etc. Perhaps a simple spring change would boost up the numbers up to near 2000.

I did qualify that a "well tuned AC could see 2000 shots per 68/45 fill". Most people take claims like this with a grain of salt from individuals, however from a company, they better be able to back-up their claims if someone challenges them.

How do you figure it has to either shoot hot or starve? I doubt all the people playing with mini cockers are either shooting hot or starving the valve of air. Look at Have Blue's reg test. I know he's said that the test doesn't quite show what you might think, but I'm looking more directly at one number. He tested an LCD Minireg on a Tribal with something like... 300psi output and 800psi input. The reg wasn't designed for that pressure range (and not for the Tribal) and performed the worst of all the regs tested. In the time frame he was working with, I don't even think it recharged fully. After that, everyone thought the reg was *horrible* and should definately be swapped out. What they didn't realize is that if the reg were to continue recharging linearly (even with it's bad recharge at the time), it could sustain a ROF somewhere around 20bps before it really started starving.

My point is, a good reg can recharge *very* quickly and I'd be very surprised if a minicocker would have trouble keeping up with the rof that someone would throw at it.

Counter point - Consider the volumizing chambers on Angels, if those chambers are not pressent the Angel requires a higher input pressure from the HPR (like we see in Mini Cockers) in order to achive a given ROF without volocity drop off. No matter how quickly recharging a reg is there will be a fine point where the input pressure must be increased (either to the gun through the HPR or the input pressure from the air course) or the marker will starve.

P1V1 = P2V2 a portion of the ideal gas law (PV=nRT)
Yes, however, there's a little more at work than just straight pressures and volumes. The volume of gas that's released by the valve causes a temprature shift in the pre-valve chamber (like with CO2 but not as pronounced). This changes the amount of energy that resides behind the not only by volume and pressure but temp as well. Durring the firing cycle there will be a small portion of gas that will condense as a result of this momentary loss of v/p/t. By minimizing the volume and pressure change in the chaber during firing events the decrease in temp and condensation of the gas will be lessend which helps to maintain consistant consumption of the valve during firing events. (EDIT - Can we see that if this trend continues long enough higher volumes of air with less energy per volume due to temp. will lead to the equivalent of sucking mostly low energy liquid through the valve as opposed to high energy gas which results in decreased efficiency because you're pulling more volume through the valve.)

EDIT - By gaining volume in exchange for pressure, no matter how fast your reg is, the proppellant gas will continue to cool and condense until the string ends when everything can come back to what ever ambient is. Durring the string however the cooler gas carries less energy so a higher volume of said gas is required to maintain pressure, this is where the efficiency is lost chiefly when making charge areas smaller.

GT
10-07-2004, 01:10 PM
Ill add a few comments here.

The Ideal gas law assumes that your are somewhat close to atomspheric pressure and not much more. It is a poor model for how gasses behave at our higher operating pressures.

Angels with volumizers have never ever seen a performance increase, pre-speed. It was more stupid bling bling that people bought into. Secondly shoot down is most of the time caused by piss poor reg performance. I dont care how big your volumizer is if your reg sucks you are going to get shoot down, peroid. I'll even go a step further and call BS on guys who actually say that the volumizers on vikings do anything.

back on topic
Mini's: If you want a real answer I would ask BradAGD or Doc Nickel. They are one of the few guys on this board that have had a wealth of experience in working with millions of different types of cockers. I am amazed when I talk to Brad about cocker stuff and the litany of info that he knows.

FallNAngel
10-07-2004, 01:28 PM
This isn't saying that it will need to operate at some horrendously large OP, it's saying that the energy stored in the larger air chamber would have to be roughly quadrupled to maintain the same energy.

Don't you mean the energy stored in the smaller air chamber would have to be roughly quadrupled? Going off the numbers you gave, the energy in the smaller chamber (the mini) was about 1/4 of the full bodied cocker. Or am I misunderstanding something (which is entirely possible)

What's a midget cocker now???

A picture is worth a thousand words:

http://www.pbreview.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=199127

I did qualify that a "well tuned AC could see 2000 shots per 68/45 fill". Most people take claims like this with a grain of salt from individuals, however from a company, they better be able to back-up their claims if someone challenges them.

True, but we can't assume that the mini cocker and full bodied cocker are both tuned well; which is my point. Just because one gets better efficiency means nothing if you're not comparing them on even ground.

Counter point - Consider the volumizing chambers on Angels, if those chambers are not pressent the Angel requires a higher input pressure from the HPR (like we see in Mini Cockers) in order to achive a given ROF without volocity drop off. No matter how quickly recharging a reg is there will be a fine point where the input pressure must be increased (either to the gun through the HPR or the input pressure from the air course) or the marker will starve.

But most people add those volumizers so they can lower their operating pressure, which allows them to lower their LPR pressure, thus lowering kick. They aren't doing it to prevent starving the reg and getting shootdown. I have to agree with gtrsi on this, if your reg isn't up to snuff, you'll get shootdown.

JimmyBeam
10-07-2004, 01:33 PM
see, all this talk about cockers is really making me think i want one. my mag is great but its the same thing over and over.......air it up and it works fine, no adjusting or anything. i like working on my mag, but the only thing i ever have to do is clean it. i dont know, we'll see.....maybe ill start off with a no frills low end cocker and learn the ins and outs, then work my way up.

VFX_Fenix
10-07-2004, 02:49 PM
The Ideal gas law assumes that your are somewhat close to atomspheric pressure and not much more. It is a poor model for how gasses behave at our higher operating pressures.

Ideal Gas law doesn't account for gasses doing things like condensing, it does, however, do a decent job of predicting relative pressures in pure gas states.

Angels with volumizers have never ever seen a performance increase, pre-speed. It was more stupid bling bling that people bought into. Secondly shoot down is most of the time caused by piss poor reg performance. I dont care how big your volumizer is if your reg sucks you are going to get shoot down, peroid. I'll even go a step further and call BS on guys who actually say that the volumizers on vikings do anything.

I meant Angel Speed and I'm sorry I didn't qualify that.

back on topic
Mini's: If you want a real answer I would ask BradAGD or Doc Nickel. They are one of the few guys on this board that have had a wealth of experience in working with millions of different types of cockers. I am amazed when I talk to Brad about cocker stuff and the litany of info that he knows.

I would totally agree - Talk to them, they would definately have a more practical view of the issue on efficiency, though they may not know why necesarily.

Don't you mean the energy stored in the smaller air chamber would have to be roughly quadrupled? Going off the numbers you gave, the energy in the smaller chamber (the mini) was about 1/4 of the full bodied cocker. Or am I misunderstanding something (which is entirely possible)

No, you understood, my lack of proof reading is getting the better of me here and thanks for the pic of the midget cocker.

True, but we can't assume that the mini cocker and full bodied cocker are both tuned well; which is my point. Just because one gets better efficiency means nothing if you're not comparing them on even ground.

Sure... you could, it would actually be better if you did, I'm just going from two claims again, however relivant they may be is beside the point, because you know that one cocker will always be better tuned than another based on the person doing the tuning. No two Cocker owners set-up their rigs exactly the same way, even if they have the same pneums/guts/what have you.

But most people add those volumizers so they can lower their operating pressure, which allows them to lower their LPR pressure, thus lowering kick. They aren't doing it to prevent starving the reg and getting shootdown. I have to agree with gtrsi on this, if your reg isn't up to snuff, you'll get shootdown.

Ever wonder why you can shoot at a lower operating pressure by expanding the volume of air before the valve? If you both consider this argument which neither of you have adressed or even apparently acknowledge.

By gaining volume in exchange for pressure, no matter how fast your reg is, the proppellant gas will continue to cool and condense until the string ends when everything can come back to what ever ambient is. Durring the string however the cooler gas carries less energy so a higher volume of said gas is required to maintain pressure, this is where the efficiency is lost chiefly when making charge areas smaller.

or PV/T = PV/T. Usually we assume that Temp is constant so we toss it out, however in this model Temp. decreases with ever shot which means that if Pressure remains constant from the reg (say 300psi) and we cannot affect Temp (which is continually dropping) then Volume must increase in order to maintain the same ammount of energy. So assuming that pressure is constant because of the reg (which will have an infinitely fast recharge for the sake of my argument) we see that P is canceled on both sides of the equation and we're left with V1/T1 = V2/T2.

Here's the scenario now that we're all on the same page (and hopefully will get that point across that I'm trying to make). Consider that V1 is equal to the volume of air that is contained within the chamber at the initial firing event at T1 (which we'll say is 297*K) and assume that 1*K is lost per firing event over the course of a 41 shot string.

If V1 = 0.196 and T1 = 297K and T2 = 256K then V2 = 0.168942761. This means that ~0.0271 ci of air has been lost. The valve still remains open the same ammount of time and so more air is consumed by the valve as the propellant gas temp. decreases per firing event. This might not seem like much, but that's almost a 14% loss in volume over the course of 41 shots. By calculating the total volume lost over the string that's roughly 290%.

Larger air chambers act as a buffer for this by allowing lower pressure opperation of the gun. This means that the change in PV which directly influences T will be smaller. If we consider a larger V1 or .785 and again, assume that P is constant becase of the ideal reg and that Change in T due to a firing event is .95*K we see that V2 = 0.682051347. Here ~0.1029 ci of air has been lost. Now I know you're thinking HA!!! He's BONKERS!!! but wait, the % volume lost is only 13% at the last shot of the 41 shot string vs. 14%. Again, by calculating the total percentage of volume lost over the course of the string, we see that 275% of volume is lost.

So you see that by simply preventing the chamber temp from shifting a little we can see an improvement in efficiency. Even if it's 0.05*K. This is why Mini conversions loose efficiency vs. their full sized brothers. Our debate has actually helped me to think through what's going on and I appreciate your points which inevitably point me in the direction of truth in explination.

VFX_Fenix
10-07-2004, 02:54 PM
As for my proof of idea, which I neglected YET again. Consider venting High Pressure Gas from a nozzle, notice that in some cases the gas will form a mist jet and in a few ice crystals will form around the nozzle reflecting the loss in temprature due to expansion.

hawpunch
10-07-2004, 03:00 PM
hey thanks to all of you, especially vfx_fenix and FallNAngel for your responses. your arguments made sense, and opinion seems to be divided on whether going to a mini body will traumatically effect efficiency and rate of fire. i'm using an air america messiah regulator and running 800 psi in and 320 psi out and it seems to be doing okay. anyone else have opinions?

jae park

VFX_Fenix
10-07-2004, 03:05 PM
I suppose I should also qualify that my argument really only works in terms of shooting long strings of paint. If only shooting a few balls ever second or so, or shot fast bursts, everything being equal, there shouldn't be an appreciable loss in efficiency.

GT
10-07-2004, 03:18 PM
So you see that by simply preventing the chamber temp from shifting a little we can see an improvement in efficiency. Even if it's 0.05*K. This is why Mini conversions loose efficiency vs. their full sized brothers. Our debate has actually helped me to think through what's going on and I appreciate your points which inevitably point me in the direction of truth in explination.

As for my proof of idea, which I neglected YET again. Consider venting High Pressure Gas from a nozzle, notice that in some cases the gas will form a mist jet and in a few ice crystals will form around the nozzle reflecting the loss in temprature due to expansion.

I'm not following your logic. Why would any gas, unless uder phase change, produce crystals when released to ambient? The whole problem with RT valves is that they heat up and increase the pressure in thier valve chamber causing "hot" shots. Basic law of thermodynamics is that you essentail lose some energy when releasing or filling a tank from the friction casued by the gas.

Any pressure change because of the decrease in temp is due to phase change, i.e. co2, which is not present in compressed "air"

Larger air chambers act as a buffer for this by allowing lower pressure opperation of the gun.

This is true, if your reg isnt up to the task.

Here's the scenario now that we're all on the same page (and hopefully will get that point across that I'm trying to make). Consider that V1 is equal to the volume of air that is contained within the chamber at the initial firing event at T1 (which we'll say is 297*K) and assume that 1*K is lost per firing event over the course of a 41 shot string.

If V1 = 0.196 and T1 = 297K and T2 = 256K then V2 = 0.168942761. This means that ~0.0271 ci of air has been lost. The valve still remains open the same ammount of time and so more air is consumed by the valve as the propellant gas temp. decreases per firing event. This might not seem like much, but that's almost a 14% loss in volume over the course of 41 shots. By calculating the total volume lost over the string that's roughly 290%.

Keep in mind that the it takes less volume to fill the mini as apposed to the full sized cocker. higher Volume does not equal better effiency.... nor does a lower operating pressure. Infact i would go as far to say that if you could reduce the heating issue of a high pressure system that a HP low volume gun would be immensly more effiecent.

VFX_Fenix
10-07-2004, 03:50 PM
I'm not following your logic. Why would any gas, unless uder phase change, produce crystals when released to ambient? The whole problem with RT valves is that they heat up and increase the pressure in thier valve chamber causing "hot" shots. Basic law of thermodynamics is that you essentail lose some energy when releasing or filling a tank from the friction casued by the gas.

Because you're taking the gas in the bottle your filling to a higher pressure, not venting into an open space. As for the RT That is a slightly different situation and most closely related to the SCUBA to bottle analogy because you're taking air which is at 14psi in the valve and almost instantly ramping it up to operating pressure(~300-400psi) again. This doesn't happen in Autocockers, there will always be some significan ammount of pressure remaining in the pre-valve chamber. This is why an AC can operate at lower input pressures from a gas source than an Automag. Because even though they both use some measure of air to shoot and possibly even have the same operating pressure (Yes, the Mag is an LP gun kids) the Mag completely vents ALL of the regulated air where as the Autococker only vents a portion of the regulated air. Mags and Cockers use air in completely different ways.

Any pressure change because of the decrease in temp is due to phase change, i.e. co2, which is not present in compressed "air"

Not true, the air vented from a full scuba into atmosphere if you place your hand over it is cooler that ambient, and can cause a vapor jet if conditions are appropriate for such an event to occur. Ever notice the "smoke" coming out of the barrel of your Mag while shooting? That's condensation from venting ~300-400psi gas into atmosphere. If we look at a phase diagram we notice that as temp. decreases at a given pressure density increases (which indicates condensation) until a phase change is reached, at which point a flat spot is found then density continues to increase until the next phase change and so on to absolute zero.

This is true, if your reg isnt up to the task.

this is taken out of context, the full text is as follows.

Larger air chambers act as a buffer for this by allowing lower pressure opperation of the gun. This means that the change in PV which directly influences T will be smaller.

You'll also note that I included in my scenario an ideal regulator that had an infinitely fast recharge rate so pressure drop off wouldn't be an issue (hence why I neglect to inclue P in my equations).

Keep in mind that the it takes less volume to fill the mini as apposed to the full sized cocker. higher Volume does not equal better effiency.... nor does a lower operating pressure. Infact i would go as far to say that if you could reduce the heating issue of a high pressure system that a HP low volume gun would be immensly more effiecent.

True, however, every marker has roughly 2 points at which it is most efficient. A low pressure point and a high pressure point. Also consider that barrel selection will effect efficiency as well. According to TK an ideal barrel is between 10 and 12 inches long with a muzzle break (much like Crown Tip barrels that AGD produces and LAPCO's Autospirit/Bigshot). It is a known fact that a certain volume of air is reuired to accelerate a ball to a desired FPS given an acceleration zone of length X and pressure of Y. This is why HP guns can get away with really short barrels and why lower pressure guns require longer barrels to remain efficient.

GT
10-07-2004, 04:00 PM
Not true, the air vented from a full scuba into atmosphere if you place your hand over it is cooler that ambient, and can cause a vapor jet if conditions are appropriate for such an event to occur. Ever notice the "smoke" coming out of the barrel of your Mag while shooting? That's condensation from venting ~300-400psi gas into atmosphere.

Sure, If the tank is cooler that the surronding air, but when it vents long enough it will heat up.

True, however, every marker has roughly 2 points at which it is most efficient. A low pressure point and a high pressure point.

Correct,
So why would the same gun with less volume mean that it is signifganly less effiecient? All you are doing with a mini is decreasing the volume, so increase the working pressure and I doubt you will see a statistical difference in effiency.

VFX_Fenix
10-07-2004, 04:30 PM
Sure, If the tank is cooler that the surronding air, but when it vents long enough it will heat up.

Okay... P1/T1=P2/T2
Now P1 - 207bar (Pressure of the air inside the tank ~3000psi), T1 - 297K (temp of air inside the tank roughly 75*F and assume that abient is also 75*F) : P2 - 1bar (pressure of gas in atmosphere ~14.7psi) T2 = (T2=(P2T1)/P1) = 1.43*K
1.37*K is close to absolute zero, this number is hugely incorrect but that's because in reality the gas would have undergone a phase change to liquid (which requires a fair ammount of energy). EDIT - Using a correct gas law the venting gas is actually only 2*K cooler than initial as opposed to the rather large 290+K cooler.

Correct,
So why would the same gun with less volume mean that it is signifganly less effiecient? All you are doing with a mini is decreasing the volume, so increase the working pressure and I doubt you will see a statistical difference in effiency.

Not correct when considering that a major alteration to the gas system has been made. Any change must have some effect, for good or ill. I did qualify that the change would not effect efficiency at low ROF, however, at High ROF the effect would be magnified and become more pronounced.

GT
10-07-2004, 10:36 PM
Okay... P1/T1=P2/T2

1.37*K is close to absolute zero, this number is hugely incorrect but that's because in reality the gas would have undergone a phase change to liquid (which requires a fair ammount of energy).

like i said, cant use ideal gas law at this pressure.

EDIT - Using a correct gas law the venting gas is actually only 2*K cooler than initial as opposed to the rather large 290+K cooler.

so you are telling me a 3*F change in temp is going to create condensation and decrese effiency on long strings? We still have not addressed the friction issue.

You almost have me motivated enough to pick up my freshman chem and phys. book..... almost :rofl:

VFX_Fenix
10-08-2004, 02:22 AM
So those numbers didn't look at all right to me, so I went and talked to some people and I was using incorrect values in my equation (I feel stupid now). So, without further delay, here's the actual temp. shift.
T1 = 297K
T2 = 282K
ΔT = 15K (~27*F)

I will be exonerated!

That was seriously bugging me.... Anyway. it's crash time, night!

lew
10-08-2004, 09:50 AM

That kind of setup (LP ram and 3-way) won't do a whole lot for efficiency (adds maybe 10-20 shots), but where it comes in useful is a light trigger pull and possibly the ability to pinch paint instead of chopping. There would be less resistance in the 3-way, which would lead to a lighter trigger pull.

I feel so honored to have my claims being used. :D :)

Fred
10-08-2004, 09:57 AM
Doc recommended AGAINST cutting down his Fastback bodies to min-length when I asked about it... it was on the Tinker's guild, IIRC it was the recharge issue.

---Fred

Python14
10-08-2004, 10:42 AM
This has to be the most educated discussion on AO for a while.

VFX_Fenix
10-08-2004, 11:51 AM
gtrsi - As for the friction caused by the recharge of the reg in the chamber, assuming I did my calculations properly anyway, the loss on the first shot is roughly .01K net. Over the course of a long string, the loss can be up to 5K net, but without really knowing how much air is used per firing cycle, all I can say is there is a definate cooling trend in the charge chamber which can be magnified or reduced by making the proportion of the gas used from the chamber per firing cycle smaller or larger respectively. It's basically about weighted averages, because a certain volume of gas (x) actually undergoes a fairly large loss of temprature which is absorbed through the rest of the chamber ((x/y)T+yT) then the same thing is repeated again but with heating when a new volume of gas (z) enters the chamber ((z/y)T+yT) and brings the chamber up to a new temp, the loss of pressure in the reg also - so on and so on.