PDA

View Full Version : some people just dont understand..

P8NTBALLER590
10-07-2004, 03:18 PM
http://www.nbc5.com/news/3790631/detail.html he must have needed some revenge. it was a top story on the chicago land news at 12. Paintball is just getting bigger and bigger these days.

Mosfet
10-07-2004, 03:22 PM
I hate seeing news like that, but this really hurts paintball's image:
http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/3789261/detail.html

Onryou
10-07-2004, 03:23 PM
imagine the headline if the cop had actually hit the guy :(

teufelhunden
10-07-2004, 03:31 PM
http://www.nbc5.com/news/3790631/detail.html he must have needed some revenge. it was a top story on the chicago land news at 12. Paintball is just getting bigger and bigger these days.

The cop shouldn't suck and should've gunned this sucker down. If the guy was within paintball range [say, 100 feet] the cop should've nailed him..

I say demote the cop.

Mosfet
10-07-2004, 03:36 PM
The cop shouldn't suck and should've gunned this sucker down. If the guy was within paintball range [say, 100 feet] the cop should've nailed him..

I say demote the cop.

you're aim might not be so good if you had just got shot by a paintball in the face and you we're wearing a mask either.

THat marble article just pisses the hell out of me! :mad: :mad: :mad:

boardfu
10-07-2004, 03:40 PM
What a loser.

Skywalker
10-07-2004, 03:42 PM

I say demote the cop.

Agreed, this cop probably gets paid pretty decent money to be accurate when firing a gun, so I say demote him as well.

Evil Bob
10-07-2004, 03:44 PM
I hate seeing news like that, but this really hurts paintball's image:
http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/3789261/detail.html

The punk in this link needs to spend some quality time in jail despite being only 16, he needs to learn a very hard lesson on reality and respect. Remanded to the custody of his parents who probably didn't do squat and are the reason he's such a messed up punk in the first place.

-Evil Bob

personman
10-07-2004, 03:44 PM
How could someone mistake a paintball hit with a gun hit?
If you got shot in the face with a real gun, you'd be kind of dead :tard:

The guy who was shooting the paintball gun was a complete retard though, why in the world would you even think about shooting an armed officer with a paintball gun? :confused:

teufelhunden
10-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Agreed, this cop probably gets paid pretty decent money to be accurate when firing a gun, so I say demote him as well.

Seriously. What happens if it's a legit. threat... he won't be able to hit him? Great.

Evil Bob
10-07-2004, 03:49 PM
It's pretty simple, you guys know how much it hurts to get shot in the neck, compound that with facial nerves, and it can feel like you've been shot for real, especially when you've been hit from close range.

Alot goes through your head when you realized you might be mortally wounded, the whole life flashing before your eyes deal.... hitting what you're aiming at is usually one of the last things you think about.

-Evil Bob

teufelhunden
10-07-2004, 03:51 PM
Alot goes through your head when you realized you might be mortally wounded, the whole life flashing before your eyes deal.... hitting what you're aiming at is usually one of the last things you think about.

-Evil Bob

Self preservation is a natural instinct. Self preservation, based on the reaction of this cop, involved shooting the paintball kid. So shooting what your aiming at is top of the list of things to do.

Again, demote the cop. Make him pay for his own 9mms until he could qualify for a HS pistol team.

Fred
10-07-2004, 03:52 PM
How could someone mistake a paintball hit with a gun hit?
If you got shot in the face with a real gun, you'd be kind of dead :tard:

The guy who was shooting the paintball gun was a complete retard though, why in the world would you even think about shooting an armed officer with a paintball gun? :confused:

Cop was off-duty.

Lots of people get shot in the face and get to live with it... plus he was probably shooting hot, and it may not have broken... meaning the cop would have felt quite a bit more force, stunning him.

:cuss: stupid people...

sad to say but I think the industry NEEDS someone to get killed in a situation like that for them to wake up at the broad-ranging safety problems with easily aquired guns.

---Fred

Chojin Man
10-07-2004, 03:57 PM
also the marker could have been way hot.

Mosfet
10-07-2004, 03:58 PM
so you're saying it doesn't matter if he's been shot in the face WITH NO MASK and probably has paint in his eyes, making it difficult to see, if at all, that he should still be able to shoot the guy with full accuracy?

We all play paintball. we know how much splatter there is, AND let not forget those shell shards that could have blinded him! but no. lets demote him because he couldn't see through the paint in his eyes.

Lets also demote a cop who couldn't shoot his attacker that just hit him in the nose with a base ball bat.

Lets also demote any cop who couldn't hit his attacker who just gut shot him with a shotgun.

Am I the only one that knows that a paintball to the face will probably not just bounce, leaving no paint, or tears, or anything?

If his responding shot was done immediately, then his aim will most likely have been off due to those conditions. Whats he going to do. stop. whipe off the paint. pull out a hankerchief to clear his eyes, and then take a good aim at the guy?
No, hes going to immediately take a shot whether it hits or not hoping to at the very least scare off the attacker.

hitech
10-07-2004, 04:01 PM

I'd be willling to bet than NONE OF YOU (those without training) could have hit him with a single shot in the same situation. :nono: Stress stooting with a face full of paint. MUCH harder than you think.

Evil Bob
10-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Self preservation is a natural instinct. Self preservation, based on the reaction of this cop, involved shooting the paintball kid. So shooting what your aiming at is top of the list of things to do.

Again, demote the cop. Make him pay for his own 9mms until he could qualify for a HS pistol team.

It certainly is a natural instinct until you realize that you might be mortally wounded, then things tend to shut down from there. Not alot of self preservation at the point when you think you're dead.

-Evil Bob

Mosfet
10-07-2004, 04:04 PM

I've got an idea.

I shoot you in the face with my paintball marker. You WONT be wearing a mask.
Now. you've got 2 seconds to hit me with one shot of your marker.

Skywalker
10-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Yes, but police officers are trained or should be trained for this kind of stuff. Anyway, I just hate cops b/c they never need a reason for what they do. And b/c I'm always in the wrong place at the wrong time for some reason.

teufelhunden
10-07-2004, 04:15 PM
First, you assume that the paint broke. I'd bet it didn't.. why?

1) Probably from decent range. You're gonna have trouble walking 20 feet from a cop and leveling a gun at his face.
2) Probably a BE POS 12g gun. Low velocity, because this schmuck doesn't actually play.
3) Garbage paint with three feet of shell.

So paint in the eyes isn't a big deal. Shock? Sure. As for one shot, again, if the cop only took one shot, unless he realized he was shooting at a kid with a paintball gun, the cop should be demoted. If you're shooting, you're shooting at a threat..

And shooting a threat is shooting to kill.

Mosfet
10-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Cops are also trained to not just blindly fire if they can't see their target.
He's lucky he didn't accidentally shoot someone else, such as a child or its mother inside the house.
You do have one good point there that matches what I just said.
Cops are not supposed to shoot unless they can see and identify a threat.

His problem was not not hitting the person, but for firing his weapon.

hitech
10-07-2004, 04:22 PM
So paint in the eyes isn't a big deal. Shock? Sure. As for one shot, again, if the cop only took one shot, unless he realized he was shooting at a kid with a paintball gun, the cop should be demoted. If you're shooting, you're shooting at a threat..

Do you have any experience stress shooting? If not, you have NO idea what is involved. Second, you have no idea what the details are. One shot (as the article made it sound) and the suspect "surrendered". The cop is not supposed to continue shooting at that point.

Bottom line, those of you claiming the cop failed to perform adequately have NO idea what it takes to do what your asking and NO idea of the situation. You shouldn't be calling for him to be disciplined when you have no idea... :nono:

Like I said before, whom ever thinks they could have done better step forward. :wow:

Mosfet
10-07-2004, 04:27 PM
Thats definately not me. I'd probably have crapped my pants! :P

teufelhunden
10-07-2004, 05:06 PM
Do you have any experience stress shooting? If not, you have NO idea what is involved. Second, you have no idea what the details are. One shot (as the article made it sound) and the suspect "surrendered". The cop is not supposed to continue shooting at that point.

Bottom line, those of you claiming the cop failed to perform adequately have NO idea what it takes to do what your asking and NO idea of the situation. You shouldn't be calling for him to be disciplined when you have no idea... :nono:

Like I said before, whom ever thinks they could have done better step forward. :wow:

Stress shooting to the point where my life was on the line? Negative. Stress shooting with whatever those things are called... they shoot paint but use a real powered down charge.. yeah.. only for a bit though, apparently they're expensive. Shooting was harder, but not to the point where I was missing a body sized target at 20 yards.

Which brings up another point... police are always shooting under "stress shooting" situations. Why would this situation be any different? Every day I read about a police shooting where the suspect got shot..

Carbon
10-07-2004, 05:06 PM
Bottom line, those of you claiming the cop failed to perform adequately have NO idea what it takes to do what your asking and NO idea of the situation. You shouldn't be calling for him to be disciplined when you have no idea

exactly!

SlartyBartFast
10-07-2004, 05:19 PM

All right then. A challenge for all the Jerks who think the cop was incompetent.

Without wearing a mask, allow someone to shoot you in the face. Then see how well you can return fire.

What a bunch of :tard: s.

If that cop didn't first see the paintball gun and identify it as that, imagine his shock at being hit. He probably assumed it was a real firearm or that his life was in danger.

Put yourself in the position of someone not playing paintball. THey hear a bang, followed by pain, and if they grab where they were hit, it's wet. Think you slow down after every ounce of adreniline is shooting through your body to think, "hey, it might not have been a real gun. let's see if it was just paint." :rolleyes:

Seems to me he has every right to try and defend himself.

What do you jerks think he should have done? Just stood there and ask to be hit and killed (for all he knew).

SlartyBartFast
10-07-2004, 05:22 PM
Which brings up another point... police are always shooting under "stress shooting" situations. Why would this situation be any different? Every day I read about a police shooting where the suspect got shot..

There's stress shooting: "There's a known danger that you combating." You have time to think, asses, and react.
And stress shooting: "WHO THE F!!! SHOT ME? AM I BLEEDING? NEXT SHOT AND I MIGHT BE DEAD!" Act now, or leave in a body bag.

Everyone here would probably mess their pants if they were quietly walking home one evening and received a paintball to the side of the head without any warning. :mad:

Pickle
10-07-2004, 06:25 PM
DevilDog (teufelhunden),

I am going to keep this simple for you as you apparently need it. I make it a point not to flame on forums because for the most part it is pointless. However, I think you need to learn something. This will be my only post on the subject so listen carefully youngin.

If you are the type of person that is going into the military (as you have stated in other threads) may God have mercy on our other servicemen. What are you going to do when you make Sgt.? And you will make sergeant because you already show great promise under the Peter Principle theory. Are you going to demote those under you when they fail to hit their enemy during a firefight? Probably. You are going to be the Captain Sobel (re: Band of Brothers) of some hapless and unfortunate unit.

Unless you have been in a stress situation that required you to shoot or have been trained for such, I suggest you keep your uninformed and juvenile mouth closed. You may ask questions, in fact they are encouraged because that is the path to enlightment and education. However, you offering opinions or advice at an expert level is like Rosie O'Donnel trying to teach someone how to lose weight. Neither of you are qualified.

Your comments are inflamatory and extremely disrespectful to law enforcement everywhere. At least the other moronic poster that shared your viewpoints was honest enough to admit that he does not like law enforcement. Honesty I can respect. Self-exploitive grandstanding I can not. I have seen other posts of yours that travel along the same line of thinking and it is time that your train is derailed.

The US Supreme court has ruled that police officers make decisions based on what they know at the time. What did he know? He knew he was off duty, he knew he was outside of his home at night and he knew he was shot by something in the face. What gives you the right or luxury to operate outiside of these boundaries. Departments allow deadly force to be used to be used against a suspect with pepperspray. This is definitely more than pepperspray. Ever try shooting someone with pepperspray in your face?

When you have the expertise, the training, the knowledge or even when they finally do drop, please come back and offer opinions. Until then close the pie hole!

Also, you should reconsider your screen name. You haven't deserved it. My great grandfather who was at Belleau Woods did.

Eagle
10-07-2004, 06:29 PM
All right folks listen up. :mad: I'm active duty Navy. I;m getting out in a few months and intend to join my home town police force. This incedent took place at night, read-it was dark out. This guy was just shot, totally un-aware, in the face. He's in great pain and got some sort of fliud on his face that he naturally assumes is blood. We have no idea what other distractions were going on in the area such random lights passing or noises. The assailent was presumably at a medium range (I doubt he was dumb enough to do it at point blank range for fear of getting cought). This was a high stress situation and it is to be expected that at least some of the cops shots would miss. I'm a pretty good shot with the both the Barreta M92 and Glock G26 9MM pistols. I'm even better with the M16, and damn near expert with the M14. But, I've done stress shoots; you're breathing like you just sprinted half a mile, times running out, your vision is sometimes obscured, the inscructors are throwing crap at you, tugging at your clothing, and you have a whole crowd of people screaming everything under the sun at you. Acuracy goes straight to hell.

As for cops not needing a reason for what they do? Haven't you ever heard of 'just cause'? How about the 'Rules of Deadly Force'?

Lumberjack
10-07-2004, 06:45 PM
Obviously there are no Lifeguards at the gene pool.

The kid who shot the cop was a fool for even thinking of doing something as stupid as what he did. The cop responded as he was trained to do. The kid is just lucky the cop was having an off day. We need to be more upset about the idiot with the paintball gun. More negative press is the last thing we need.

gc82000
10-07-2004, 06:58 PM
What about the shooter not the cop but the other guy. This entire situation started with him.

He should get some maximum jail time. Assault with a paintball gun is assault with a weapon a misdemeanor on Guam.
PLus if he ever showed his face around a real paintball feild, I would pesonally shoot his face. It is one thing to shoot at friends with protection, and anything to shoot at an armed off duty cop.

steveo356
10-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Ive been shot in the face once about an inch under the eye, that kid felt the pain a half full 20 oz cna do when thrown at about 400 mph. he did it on purpose and he was over shootin me all day playin in the woods behind my house... neeedless to say i dont think ill let him come out and play any more. kids who shoot unprotected peopel should be locked up

judgetimmmaaa
10-07-2004, 10:44 PM
facts that we know from the news article everything elses is made up,

1."around 9:20 p.m"
so its dark
2."the officer went outside his home to check on noises"
Ok so any body would be on edge, ever know a cop? cops tend to be more nervouse and cautious than other people Why because they general deal with the worst part of society. so much crap goes on that never hits the news and they are always threatend and some of those people that make threats can and will attempt to carry trhem out.

3."After being struck with what he believed was a real bullet"
any body would be scared and full of adrelin and react with what ever is close at hand to defend themselves.

4."he said, he saw the suspect pointing a black weapon at him" It says nothing about how close or far he was. was he in standing in the street like a gun fight at hign noon or crouched behinf a car or hugging a building? We dont know and can only guess.

5. "pulled out his gun and fired" Once agin he has just been struck in the face by something with a high rate of velocity, your disorientd I have been hit is it a flesh wound am i alive will there be more shoots fired oh wait call a ref for a paint check? no you react in this case it was a man with a gun it did not have to be an off duty cop lots of people own guns. A man has been assulted and reacted.

Basicaly its another sad day for paintball, The "20-year-old" is lucky to be alive. If I hear a noise that concerns me enough to grab a pstol and investigate and i get blind sided I might retun fire, I hope that never happends but it is a reallity.

Some of the people that play paintball and have opinions really should keep them to them selves, until thay have walked in some elses shoes. Sign up with you rlocal police department for a ride along, if your lucky and get "action" you will have a cop that takes you to the bad part of town and might even get to roll code with the lights and sirens on and exceed the spped limit but most likely that wont happen you will get a ride along in the quiet part of town. why becaus ethey dont want cilvians getting hurt. but if you get the chance listen to whats going on on there radio, there are som many crimes that you never hear about that happen every night.

No I am not a cop, I do have friends that are cops,
Do i think there are bad cops? YES just like every part of society you have bad apples but some jobs they make bigger headlines and may or may not get away with more than others. So back off the cops and grow up.

What this kid did was wrong, illegal and dangerous and potentialy deadly basicaly i think it qualifies as assult possibly felony assult

Some of the people in this forum need to act a little more mature, if I have offened you then my guess is your one of the people that need to grow up.

kenndogg
10-07-2004, 11:31 PM
Yes, but police officers are trained or should be trained for this kind of stuff. Anyway, I just hate cops b/c they never need a reason for what they do. And b/c I'm always in the wrong place at the wrong time for some reason.

pure stupidity.

AclowN
10-08-2004, 12:19 AM
i see all this bickering about the officer this the officer that... the officer did what he has been trained to do, darkness, cant see well in the first place, something hits you in the face.... HARD.... now you look up, through the paint/shell that has splattered all over your face and into your eyes..... or for those that dont think it broke, you look up already feeling the immediate nausea of a blow to the front of your face, and yes a blow cause i know this feeling... now... paint or no paint, your looking up blinded or dizzy..... either situation not good when you think you have been shot, you try to return fire on a target you CAN NOT FOCUS ON... so.. your eyes can not focus... due to either reason... and you try and hit something that has obviously threatened you. i think any person alive would say that someone shooting you in your face with a paintball marker, as you're simply walking outside your house?? could easily be seen as a threat.

People bickering about what the officer did is ignoring the true issue here.... the fact of the matter is, this kind of publicity is hurting our sport bigtime... finally paintball is hitting TV more and more... and soon this stuff won't be as bad... but look at it from the standpoint of the generally ignorant public in reference to this sport... imagine if ALL you saw about other sports was the bad.... look at football for instance, what if all you heard about was the injury list..... hear about broken bones galore... the occasional death... permanent injuries.... paralysis.... look at that... if that is all you see... if you saw none of the gameplay cause you never went to a local field and watched a team play..... would this not seem to be a VERY scary and dangerous sport if that is all you knew?

in honesty, if ALL I saw was injuries and maybe the occasional chatter about who won the title for a certain sport, ANY sport... i would be reluctant to let anyone participate if i could prevent it... because injury reports are never a beautiful thing to look at......... well, unless its hockey :P just kiddin

this post is just showing the underlying problems, all that we see on the News, or until recently, television in general was the BAD stuff about the sport... pretty scary stuff to someone that doesnt know the sport...

Mardi
10-08-2004, 01:14 AM
We all know that it was a paintball gun to begin with. Now we're a paintball community so if we heard the 'thwack-thwack' of a gun we would be able to distinguish it from a real gun and a paintball marker. Put yourself in the cop's shoes, he walks out of his house after hearing noise that sounds like gunfire (if he didn't hear a gunfire-sound alike, then why'd he have his gun on him?) so yeah, he exits his house to inspect the gunfire. BAM he gets hit in the face. Now none of you can honestly say that getting hit doesn't hurt. I've been playing for three years, I'm not that good, I get out mostly every game and still every time I get hit it stings.

You might be able to build up a little bit of tolerance but from 100 feet away on a field and the balls can still leave welts/bruises on your body, through a jersey, through gloves... Etc. I've been hit on the bare neck and it killed for three days afterward. Now, imaging this, you were just hit in the face. Even with my mask on, if I get hit in the top of the mask/top of the forehead, my head still snaps back from human reaction.

You were just shot in the bare face, it stings, and hurts, and you now have a liquid running down your face. At a paintball field you'd suspect it to be a paintball but on the streets of a city it's another story... To this day I still have to go tell my neighbors that what I am shooting at my target range in my backyard is in fact a paintball marker. I don't take my stuff out in public at all unless it's tucked away in a backpack or that kind of such. So how often does a regular Joe see a paintball marker?

Paintball is a new sport, I could ask every single person that would come to my work (I work in a mall) and guaranteed that only a tenth of the people could actually describe how a paintball marker works or describe it accurately in appearance wise. Most have heard about the sport, but it's a new sport so players are still rare.

Any who back to topic, you're a cop, you were just shot in the face, it hurts, badly, first instinct? You were just shot (with a real gun)... Paintball markers come with their own 'BAM' aftershock, so the only thing setting them apart from actual guns are (well besides the bullets) are the appearance and method of working. Sure they are fruity colors and look pretty crazy but take the Tippmann series, they LOOK Like M4s... Take an uneducated average Joe, shoot them in the face and then record down their action.

I completely agree with everything the cop did; however I would have rather him hit the kid, somewhere non-lethal though. He was just shot in the face, adrenaline is running, and he has a split second to draw his own gun and take a shot. Chances are that he isn't going to sit there for a second, take aim, and then fire. First shot is a warning, and then you go for the organs...

Notice to kiddos: Paintball is a fun, safe sport; if you treat it in a fun and safe way. Have consideration for your neighbors and other city neighbors and leave your markers concealed during transport and only use them in a game situation. Treat them like a regular gun because sure they can't do as much damage as a regular gun but shoot someone in the naked eye and by golly, It doesn't matter what you got shot with, you'll be blind. Play safe, and remember, it's a game but treat it with respect.

(Sorry for the rant, I was just pissed at the people that were mocking the Police Officer's ability to shoot. They shouldn't be taking stabs at the officer; it wasn't his fault that he got shot. He has probably never been shot with a paintball or a bullet, so how could he have compared this wound to anything if he's never been shot before.

Blame the incident on the kid with the trigger-happy finger. They're what I like to call the 'one percent-ers'. Only 1% of the paintball Population is out to shoot stop signs, and random people. And even though there are 99% of us out here, that one person out of a hundred is what gives the rest of us a bad rep.)

-Mardi

Edit: Fixed the spelling mistakes

azza
10-08-2004, 03:13 AM
I havnt read all the posts, but if someone in NZ got done with that, once they were arrested and found guilty would face upto 3 months in jail (pretty weak IMO) and or a fine of upto $2000USD ($3000NZD)

Cheers
Azza