PDA

View Full Version : Losing my voice

1ofkind
10-09-2004, 06:41 PM
I was playing on a Xball field yesturday and I encountered a new problem from screaming out and calling bunkers. What happen was I was losing my voice. My throat hurt in the middle of the day(3 hours of playing) and my voice was raspy. I just want to know is there something I can do to prevent this or did anyone else ever have a problem like this?

I don't want my loss of voice to ever stop me from helping me team :(

teufelhunden
10-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Drink more. Usually helped me out towards the end of tourneys. And don't scream at the top of your lungs.

-Tab
10-09-2004, 06:54 PM
same with me.

i yell A LOT, and very loud.

i keep the water coming and talk quietly off the field - you know - save the voice for the important stuff

mcdkid
10-09-2004, 07:08 PM
best way to help is don't give so much deep th---- i mean just get some halls cough drops. i have the energy to ref all week but since i am inchare and doing all the yelling, i cut my work days down a bit.

Bob_da_Splatman
10-10-2004, 10:04 AM
best way to help is don't give so much deep th---- i mean just get some halls cough drops. i have the energy to ref all week but since i am inchare and doing all the yelling, i cut my work days down a bit.

He's right you know that is a good way to save the voice.........I've created more mutes than I'd like to think about

But seriously try useing a code system so you use less words

Personally, I carry a Mr. Mic with me on the field

daviselk
10-10-2004, 01:55 PM
use a megafone "chh hes over their chh"

mobius
10-10-2004, 03:07 PM
From my theatre experience: don't scream from your throat. Try to yell from deep in your stomach. Tighten your stomach muslces and push the sound out, rather than letting your vocal chords do all the work. In theatre we call this projecting. It can also be alot louder than screaming. I can yell all day long like this, and not lose my voice.

|GB|
10-10-2004, 03:19 PM
From my theatre experience: don't scream from your throat. Try to yell from deep in your stomach. Tighten your stomach muslces and push the sound out, rather than letting your vocal chords do all the work. In theatre we call this projecting. It can also be alot louder than screaming. I can yell all day long like this, and not lose my voice.

*Starts projecting* ;)

Nice idea.

peewee
10-10-2004, 03:25 PM
Project (just watch full metal jacket a couple times just watch the gunny) & I usually try to keep some hard candy around something to help create saliva. Halls cherry are good, helps with breathing also. Keeps ye old snot locker clear....

Bob_da_Splatman
10-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Halls cherry are good, helps with breathing also. Keeps ye old snot locker clear....

You have to see the irony of that coming from krusty!! :spit_take :rofl:

flyinasian016
10-10-2004, 03:53 PM
mm..jolly ranchers...

CaliMagFan
10-11-2004, 12:45 AM
MOBIUS is right... you must project because your vocal chords are really just meant for talking and not really for shouting..... some other things that effect vocal performance are... (comming from singing for a rock band):

---drinking dairy is bad for teh throat... this is more like a singing thing... but your voice will get worse faster when you drink dairy because (i think) the basic pH of milk and cheese and so forth takes away some of the mucous lining of the throat.

---warming up.... if you warm up your body, then why not your throat... if your team has a calistenics routine before the game, then you can all shout as a team during it... or lead a team stretch in a low yell.... just so you dont have to look like a total dip yelling by yourself...

---drink tea with honey

---lots of water (said before) --but its damn true

---throat spray... lots of music stores sell a spray that you shoot into your mouth like mint spray... i used to use it when we would play 2 shows some nights... it kinda put a barrier down and keeps your VOx chords from getting inflamed, will save you from losing your voice too...

good luck
-kyro

daviselk
10-12-2004, 07:44 PM
are they alloud to use mega-fone's?

1ofkind
10-12-2004, 07:49 PM
Lol I highly dought it... Its fun screaming anyway and the people around watching me love it, they all crowd around me and are like, wow this guy is awsome! lol Hehe, okay that happened only once :p

flyinasian016
10-12-2004, 07:55 PM
be uber 1337 nd get a fox trot voice for your whole team!! :rofl: