PDA

View Full Version : Polishing body?

j.t.
10-30-2001, 02:38 PM
I was thinking about polishing my minimag body. Is this a smart idea or should I just have it powder coated? I do know how to do it properly and have experience with doing it to other things before but nothing with a coating already on it.
By the way Redrider... sorry i havent been able to have my body powdercoated like I said but my season is almost over and I have been short on cash.
:confused:

Cha0tic
10-30-2001, 08:30 PM
ok you can polish your body, it will not be chrome, but it could look nice. i have pictures of it on my website if you check it out.

you want to start with 300 grit waterproof emory paper. you want to sand off a layer with this grit, rinsing it under the sink as you go. remember to sand from top to bottom around the body, not from front to back. after you sand a layer off with the 300, go to a 400, 500, 600, and go on until you get the gloss you are looking for. some people go as high as 1500 grit, but it is not necessary. when you are done, get some stainless steel polish and put it on there to finish it. good luck.

ProjectMag
10-30-2001, 09:18 PM
A nice metal polish is Mother's Mag Polish - can be found at any Wal-Mart. Going to a high grit like 1500 or 2000 is somewhat beneficial in that it gets rid of all the tiny scratches caused by the lower grit, it'll give you a much smoother finish.

j.t.
10-31-2001, 02:25 PM
Would a spray stripper take off the powder coat? I also have taken a coating off brass with a wire brush on my grinder and it didnt scratch it at all. Could this work also?:)

DRAGONSLAYER
10-31-2001, 04:58 PM
I polished my body with sandpaper, like was mentioned, the only real difference is that I sanded over a bucket of water. I dipped it alot so as not to let the "stuff" coming off the gun clog the papper. After that I used some polishing compound and then finished with a wheel sealer to keep fingerprints off. It is not chrome but I like the results, it is about the same shade as my valve. The process took me about 1 1/2. :)

j.t.
11-05-2001, 07:45 PM
I finally got my body polished! I used a soft wire brush on a drill press to get the coating off which didn't even scracth the body. After that I used a buffing wheel with stainless steel polish to get it to a glowing shine!:D