PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistent Velocity on my Mag

Maverick
10-30-2001, 03:21 PM
I have problems with inconsistent velocity on my Level 7 Mag. I have cleaned and lubed the spring pack in the air valve as well as replaced (twice) the regulator seat. I still get inconsistent velocity. Just yesterday at the chrono I saw velocities something like this - 243, 220, 198, 247, 235, etc. The range is somewhere around 50 fps. Anyway, is there something else I missing? Could the regulator pin or spring need to be replaced? I was also thinking that maybe my Mag is fine and the problem could be with my Crossfire 68/3000. What do you all think? :confused:

BlackVCG
10-30-2001, 03:50 PM
Try shooting different paint with different barrels. Try a different tank. Make sure there is no dirt on the piston and the o-ring is well oiled. Feed the gun oil through your air inlet and cycle it 50 times with the barrel off. Keep trying different things and eliminating variables.

143Paul
10-30-2001, 04:45 PM
I had this same problem. It was my tank. There was a piece of trash in my tank reg.

After I cleaned my Tank Reg - A OK

Maverick
10-31-2001, 07:58 AM
Thanks BlackVCG and 142Paul. I have already tried many different paints with the same problem. I only have one barrel so I can't do the barrel thing right now but I'll try to find someone to borrow a barrel from. I've thoroughly cleaned and lubed the piston, piston o-ring and spring pack and I still have this problem. I am sort of leaning towards my Crossfire tank reg being the problem. I'm going to try a different tank and see what happens.
I do have one other question, should the piston and spring pack be lubed with some kind of grease or is gun oil fine?

143Paul
10-31-2001, 08:08 AM
The spring pack should be lubed with a white grease. Check your manual for the exact type, but it is not the gun oil.

Drizit
10-31-2001, 09:24 AM
I hope you don't mean you are using real gun oil. if so the solvents in it will eat all the o-rings in your marker. if you did clean it all out then replace all the soft parts. only use paintball oil or air tool oil (they are the same thing) the trick is they are designed not to kill o-rings.
if you were using paintball oil, I'd say clean everything and run a parts kit through it anyway just to be sure that you haven't missed something. good luck.

davej946
10-31-2001, 12:42 PM
Mav,
I too ama victim of inconsistant velocity. I have the EXACT same problem you do. I have a Crossfire 88/3000 and I'm starting to think that it is the Tank Reg. I'm saving up to but a Flatline. I think that will fix my problem.

Later

HyperSnyper
10-31-2001, 11:17 PM
I was a victim of inconsistent velocities, I have +/- 20 before. What fixed it was matching the paint to the barrel perfectly, just so the paint is held in place, but can be blown effortlessly through the bore. I got like +/- 6 with my stock setup. When I swapped to a Palmer reg, it helped tighten up my velocites a little. Hope this helps.

-HyperSnyper

Maverick
11-01-2001, 07:58 PM
Drizit, no I'm not using real gun oil. As far as the grease to use, what should it be?

Drizit
11-01-2001, 11:10 PM
to be honest I don't know what kind of grease to use. if no one else has any idea it check your manual, if you don't have it then give AGD a call I'm sure there tech support guys will be glad to tell you.

RobAGD
11-02-2001, 09:43 AM
As long at the spring pack has some oil or other goop onit you dont need to worry about that. The greese is only to prevent rust. Oil will work fine.

As for the velocity problem.

If you are shooting nice slow shots over the chrono that kind of removes the tank as an issue unless it's a super sucky tank.

what paints have you tried ?

what barrle are you using ?

whats the tank output pressure ?

why not bring your velocity up to 280's ?

what kind of chrono are you using ?

-Robert

Drizit
11-02-2001, 10:52 AM
one other thing I just thought of (rob just jump started my brain) how good are the batteries in the chrono, try firing a gun you know is stable over the same chrono.

Maverick
11-26-2001, 09:14 AM
I just wanted to bring you an update on this thread I started some time ago. I have corrected my inconsistent velocity problem. It turned out to be my gun setup. I had been using an ACI 4 stage expansion chamber as my foregrip (had it on my mag from my days of using CO2). Anyway, I swapped it out for a KAPP gas-thru foregrip and my problem is gone. The expansion chamber must have been restricting airflow somehow. Maybe there was some kind of particles trapped inside it, I don't know, but it was definitely causing my problem.

Failure
11-27-2001, 12:18 AM
n/m

Thordic
11-27-2001, 08:19 AM
4-stage expansion chamber means there are 4 seperate compartments with a fairly small opening between them. Air fills the first chamber, moves to the next, fills that, then the next, fills that, then the next, then you shoot, chambers empty, repeat process.

Thats why you were getting bad velocity :)

PyRo
11-27-2001, 05:45 PM
Something probably got clogged in the chamber. It is unlikely that a clean chamber would cause this.

Maverick
11-28-2001, 09:15 AM
PyRo, you are correct. I disassembled the expansion chamber and found some particles of what looked like teflon tape inside. These particles were probably floating around inside and every once and a while clogging one of the small airways between the chambers.

animal
11-29-2001, 12:14 AM
Hi all, I'm new to the mag world, but I started with the best it has to offer.

I had a similar problem with my emag tonight. Wasn't inconsistent, but in the middle of the game, the velocity dropped noticeably and stayed there. I went an chronoed and found it was about 40fps slower than when I chronoed earlier. The tank read 2000 lbs and output was between 800 and 1000. It was the end of the day so I just packed up, but when I removed the bolt assembly at home, I noticed that the lines didn't match up on the underside of the valve. Like it unscrewed or something. I tightened it hand tight and put it all back together. After securing I did notice it slipping back and forth about 1/8" or so when I would adjust the velocity screw. Anyone else have something similar? Should this be slipping like this? Is it inherently bad or just needs to be tightened more? I suppose watching the video would be a good idea, but I figured I'd find help here as well.

Thanks in advance

kilaueakid
11-29-2001, 12:49 AM
animal,
mine does that too, it must be from vibration....I haven't figured out what to do about it yet, I just keep an eye on it and tighten itby hand after shooting a couple hundred rounds. It would be nice to not have to worry about it.

animal
12-05-2001, 01:01 PM
I actually figured it out, I was completley wrong. I bent a nubbin forward into the barrel. Really chewed the hell out of the inside of the barrel as well. As soon as I fixed it, it shot fine again. I gotta get some plastic ones.

Heh, must be a dumb newbie thing to not look at nubbins first :)

Liko
12-05-2001, 01:07 PM
White grease... I think you're talking about white lithium grease. Should be available in most hardware stores. Just don't get one in aerosol form, or the solvents in it will eat o-rings like candy. Also, this stuff loves to grab dirt, so you'll need to check it from time to time and make sure the grease is still clean. If it's turning grey, re-lube it.