PDA

View Full Version : Illinois paintballers look here!!!

tasker89
10-11-2004, 09:51 AM
I read a story in a local paper (Joliet area) that said a fairly serious fire had occured at CPX. Apparently several of the outbuildings on the property burned. ANy body have any information about this?

RenagadeOfFunk
10-11-2004, 10:15 AM
...I haven't heard any news about that...

...the cow that started the chicago fire back from the dead?...

....MOO!!!...

Titansu
10-11-2004, 10:35 AM
A co-worker's brother works there. She said that the fire was located in the Referee's break area and in the HPA fill booth - near the chrono range. I believe they were looking towards arson.

tony3
10-11-2004, 11:55 AM
WTF, this sucks, even though I don't like cpx, I got to respect the field that got me into paintball. Why would anyone start cpx on fire? Possibly disgruntle refs from when they got fired a year or so ago? ;)

AGDlover
10-11-2004, 12:36 PM
from what i heard it was former refs and ppl who useto work there that did it

tasker89
10-11-2004, 01:56 PM
Buildings burn at Challenge Park

By Joe Hosey
STAFF WRITER

JOLIET — A blaze consumed two buildings and may have extremely impaired the operation of Challenge Park Xtreme.

Two small wood and metal buildings burned to the ground in the fire overnight Tuesday. The blaze also destroyed 30 carbon dioxide tanks and regulators and two air compressors.

Ray Dagnino, the park's proprietor, told a patrol officer the ruined property is "the heart of his business, and it will take $35,000 to replace the damage," according to a police report.

Police were called to the extreme sports facility on Schweitzer Road shortly before 9 a.m. Tuesday, and officers found the smoldering remains of two buildings. Numerous carbon dioxide tanks were knocked over and strewn about, police said.

Officers had employees evacuate the area and called in the fire department, and firefighters doused what was left of the flames.

Dagnino reportedly told police that he purchased the skating, mountain biking and paintball park in June and that he has experienced problems with former employees.

Dagnino, who previously worked as the general manager at Challenge Park and also as the general manager of Haunted Trails arcade, did not return repeated calls for comment on the fire and his statements in the police report.

Contact Joe Hosey at (815) 729-6054 or via e-mail at jhosey@scn1.com.

10/08/04

tony3
10-11-2004, 02:47 PM
Ha I Knew It!

nt2004
10-11-2004, 06:19 PM
I bet someone got some revenge on the refs. Those guys were always jerks whenever i went there. My friend was really sick and he sat on the curb in bedlam while the ref was talking and the ref started yelling at him

SeeK
10-11-2004, 11:39 PM
Of course this is a serious situation but doesn't anybody else think it's odd that a wooden building with several hundred pounds of CO2 was still burning? I'd think once the burst disks blew the fire would go out.

On the brighter side we can hope that the new compressor can do 4500 fills.

Tyger
10-12-2004, 01:53 AM
So we're talking the ref's shed and airfill tank area?

-Tyger

nato
10-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Personally, Im glad to hear it. Ive had too many sour experiences there and too many friends who used to work there that were mistreated. Obviously my response is unkind and immature but then again thats how they acted when they would practically spit in my face after I would pay up to one hundred dollars to play there.

N.A.T.O.

jrod
10-13-2004, 09:42 AM
So we're talking the ref's shed and airfill tank area?

-Tyger
Yeah, just the ref shed and airfill shed.
I was there Sunday. Business as usual. They have the air stations in one of the pavilions. And, can only fill to about 2000 psi. Obviously, the compressor was damaged and not operating.

I heard the following, so I'm not sure how true it is:
The refs used homemade napalm to burn one of the swamps in front of bedlam. Well, you know what happens when you give a bunch of kids crazy ideas.

By the way, Challenge Park has really gone downhill. A year ago, everyone used to ask if you were having a good time. The refs were friendly, and very aware of safety. Now they just don't care. They don't run open woods games. They don't give safety briefings before games. And they don't care if they match up 15 rental noobs vs. 15 speedballers with Angels, DM4's, etc.... It's not the refs fault. Kids will be kids. But, if you don't provide the necessary supervision to your teenage employees, the service is really going to slide.

I'm going to be giving Fox River a try in the future.

tony3
10-13-2004, 12:20 PM
Honestly, don't even bother with challenge park, just go to badlandz or fox.

RenagadeOfFunk
10-17-2004, 05:16 PM
just another problem with their airfills... :rolleyes: