PDA

View Full Version : automag or cocker?

zepp21
10-12-2004, 03:38 PM
OK im new to automags/minimags. I was looking at getting a cocker but the place sold it. So i found this mag that i really like. I have a couple of questions though. What is the main difference between a cocker/mag?, how does a mag work? how do u cock a mag? will a mag work with co2? is a mag just as fast? is a mag upgradeable? and is a mag hard to maintain/clean?..thanks for the help.

zepp

|GB|
10-12-2004, 03:43 PM
OK im new to automags/minimags. I was looking at getting a cocker but the place sold it. So i found this mag that i really like. I have a couple of questions though. What is the main difference between a cocker/mag?, how does a mag work? how do u cock a mag? will a mag work with co2? is a mag just as fast? is a mag upgradeable? and is a mag hard to maintain/clean?..thanks for the help.

zepp

The main difference is that the 'Cocker uses pneumatics to re-cock. I believe the 'Mag uses a blow-forward design. You dont cock a 'Mag. Yes, it will work on CO2, but make sure your tank has an anti-siphone tube. It's just as fast as a 'cocker, as long as the cocker isn't E-bladed or anything. Yes, it's upgradable. 'Mags are probably one of the easiest markers to maintain, just drop a couple drops of oil in your ASA, and valve after each day of play, and it will treat you well.

sithos
10-12-2004, 03:46 PM
first, before anyone gets rude and yells "YOU DONT COCK AN AUTOMAG!" ill let you in on a little secret....

Secondly.. mags and cockers are very very similar, in that they both fire paintballs, and have the word auto in their names. other than that, not much compairson.

Personally, if you are sticking with mechanical operation (not electro), then mags own. Mags are very very easy to take care of, where as cockers can be a hastle if you have to time it, or if you plan to upgrade it.

Now... if you have some extra money to spend, you can build an ebladed (or race framed) cocker that will absolutly mow muppets (ok, ive never used that phase before and i really wanted to), but it will cost you around $600 for a decent used eblade cocker.

for the "how do mags work" question, im sure someone would be kind enough to post an animation or a link to a description by someone more intelligent than myself, its pretty simple, but I think this is the longest sentance I've typed in 5 years and my brain hurts.

JoshK
10-12-2004, 04:05 PM
this is a pic of the cocker...

http://paintball-guns.com/images/animated-autococker.gif

Joni
10-12-2004, 04:20 PM
And here's the mag...

http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77623&stc=1

teufelhunden
10-12-2004, 04:22 PM
If we're talking mechanical, get the 'Mag hands down.. as long as it isn't a classic.. bah.

punkncat
10-12-2004, 05:54 PM
There has been so much conversation over this topic through the years. All discussions about why such in such is better than so and so cause of blah blah , etc , etc , infinity.

The only thing that makes sense. Shoot both of them. Try a few others too. Go with what shoots most naturally for you. Go with the one you like the looks of. Go with the one you think you are able to maintain of something breaks.

I will say this. Cockers are WAY down in value right now. You should be able to pick up a really nice one for very , very cheap. Keeping in mind that you won't be able to get jack for it when you decide to sell.

Wc Keep
10-12-2004, 06:07 PM
i shoot both. both rock.

SCpoloRicker
10-12-2004, 06:12 PM
yep. get both

trains are bad
10-12-2004, 06:28 PM
another vote for both.

GT
10-12-2004, 06:33 PM
concur, for both

temps
10-12-2004, 06:45 PM
shoot both..

aside the main functions of the gun the differences are shape and trigger.

For example, I can shoot faster on my mag then my friends cocker. Yet he can shoot faster on his cocker then on my mag.

davidnj
10-12-2004, 07:07 PM
I have both and really like both..heh. They both have a different 'feel' to them when you shoot so do your best to shoot both and decide from there.

As far as upkeep I find both to be really easy. Just clean them after you play, oil them and such and you should never have any major problems.

Upgrades...the cocker has a ton more but Ive managed to spend a ton upgrading various mags so Im pretty sure there are mag upgrades out there.

I shoot them both just as fast, which I used really depends on which one feels better to me that day.

So um get both! If thats not an option you definitely need to shoot both, No sense spending a few hundred dollars if you are only going to depend on peoples opinions.

zepp21
10-12-2004, 09:10 PM
alright thanks guys, so a automag, automatically cocks itself when u hook it up to a tank, they are easy to take care of, upgradeable, and shoot fast. DO they hold there value? IS there a difference between a minimag/automag, if so what are besides size. and this seems like a dumb question but can u get a different bolt for them...like in a cocker u can replace the bolt.....same for the automag or different?

zepp21
10-12-2004, 09:16 PM
ps. Ive shot both and they feel pretty much the same, im looking at mags b/c i found one for 299 with barell, its a powerfeed automag, im kind of depressed that i waited too long, i found a very nice deal on a 98 cocker....was for 150 with a jj ceramic barell....should i wait or is the price on the mag a good deal also?

RTDynaflow
10-12-2004, 09:24 PM
alright thanks guys, so a automag, automatically cocks itself when u hook it up to a tank, they are easy to take care of, upgradeable, and shoot fast. DO they hold there value? IS there a difference between a minimag/automag, if so what are besides size. and this seems like a dumb question but can u get a different bolt for them...like in a cocker u can replace the bolt.....same for the automag or different?

Yes.
Yes, they hold value pretty well - depends on model.
Yes. A minimag has a different body and a lot of the used ones have the upgraded ReTrO valve. Depending on your air source, you will probably want a classic valve (you said you are on c02?) Mags have a few main components... Body, Rail, Valve, trigger frame, barrel.

Yes and No on the bolt questions... the valve can be broken down into 4 main parts. The regulator (rear section that unscrews), valve itself (main tube thingy), on/off assembly (little brass thing in bottom), and the bolt/power tube. The only bolt upgrade you will ever need is a level 10 kit....So, yes you can upgrade the bolt - but no, not like a cocker.

Nate

RTDynaflow
10-12-2004, 09:26 PM
ps. Ive shot both and they feel pretty much the same, im looking at mags b/c i found one for 299 with barell, its a powerfeed automag, im kind of depressed that i waited too long, i found a very nice deal on a 98 cocker....was for 150 with a jj ceramic barell....should i wait or is the price on the mag a good deal also?

what kind of mag? anything short of a ULE RT custom that is not a good price.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=153666

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154797

If you will be getting into a mag, I highly recommend a nitrogen tank. You can get a steel 45/3000 for around 40 bucks. Not the greatest, but way better then co2

nate

zepp21
10-13-2004, 02:12 PM
its a 68 automag with a rt pwr feed....one quick question....is it easy to install a double trigger? or is it like the old model 98's where u have to saw the trigger guard off?

RTDynaflow
10-13-2004, 03:06 PM
its a 68 automag with a rt pwr feed....one quick question....is it easy to install a double trigger? or is it like the old model 98's where u have to saw the trigger guard off?

Let me put that deal into perspective...Lime green ford pinto $$40,000 - stock 300kmiles.

Mags come with a single trigger frame. The only way to add a double trigger on that frame, is to cut it up. However, this is usually not allowed at most fields and IMO looks like crap if done wrong. You can buy a double finger trigger frame. There are several out there... Intelli, logic, rogue, Y frame, Z frame. They will run you about 130ish.

Check out those links I gave ya. For around 320 fragtek has some ULE RT customs that are decked out. He will probably drop in here and give a link...

zepp21
10-13-2004, 04:00 PM
what links?

zepp21
10-13-2004, 04:09 PM
dynaflow, i checked out those links. What are the main differences between an automag powerfeed, an automag rt, and an p/f automag ...guessing that p/f means power foward or something..........+ are these models upgrades then they call them these are are these one that u can buy stock

RTDynaflow
10-13-2004, 04:44 PM
dynaflow, i checked out those links. What are the main differences between an automag powerfeed, an automag rt, and an p/f automag ...guessing that p/f means power foward or something..........+ are these models upgrades then they call them these are are these one that u can buy stock

p/f - powerfeed
RT - reactive trigger - these are the second gen AGD valves - they won't run on c02, only nitro. They are much faster recharge rate and all around faster to shoot.

They are both. Some are upgrade done, some are bought stock. Automags are rather simple design, so it is easy to put together your own custom mag.

Nate

spasticsquirrel
10-13-2004, 06:57 PM
I will say this. Cockers are WAY down in value right now. You should be able to pick up a really nice one for very , very cheap. Keeping in mind that you won't be able to get jack for it when you decide to sell.

too bad mags aren't too good sellers i beleive...