PDA

View Full Version : Paintball and Canada ?

punkncat
10-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Is paintball illegal in Canada? Is there some law there against owning , or shipping markers?

*** Edited out ***

I also have run across people trying to buy from me and ship to Canada and they always want me to describe the item as a gift , etc , but not a paintball item.

What gives?

WenULiVeUdiE
10-13-2004, 08:19 PM
Dan is in Germany.

Most people do not have a problem with paintball and Canada. The items take a while to clear customs, like all others.

AnArchist_1944
10-13-2004, 08:20 PM
ok the gift part is so that it gets over the border faster or else it takes up to 4 weeks to ship and hwy he got his stuff confinscated i dont know but its the furthest thing from illigal.

Xas
10-13-2004, 08:37 PM
paintball is legal
when items are shipped over to canada we usually have to pay taxes on it (customs)
however if someone puts that its a gift you usually dont have to pay these extra taxes and it just slips by.
I buy most of my stuff from the states and thats how I have got it up here,.

SlartyBartFast
10-14-2004, 10:46 AM
however if someone puts that its a gift you usually dont have to pay these extra taxes and it just slips by.

And if it doesn't slip by and the customs officer is paying attention, you'll never see the item again AND you'll have a big fine to pay.

If you want it to be legal, it should say Sports Equipment and give the correct value. Even gifts are subject to taxes.

Deep Sixx
10-14-2004, 11:29 AM
And if it doesn't slip by and the customs officer is paying attention, you'll never see the item again AND you'll have a big fine to pay.

If you want it to be legal, it should say Sports Equipment and give the correct value. Even gifts are subject to taxes.

So you're saying that if something is sent as a "gift", it no longer has any value? So if I send a birthday present to a relative in the US, it becomes worthless as it is intended as a gift? No, you can label it a gift and put the value on it. The reason for that "gift" option is so the recipient gets a bit of a break on the charges for his present.

You can label the package contents as "sports equipment", check the "gift" box, and declare a value and it's perfectly legal. There's nothing wrong with declaring something a gift. Besides, it would be pretty difficult to prove the item WASN'T a gift if there's no business involved (ie: a private sale or trade).

Now, intentionally under-valuing on a customs form to get in under the tax/duty exempt limit is another story. Don't try this if there's a receipt in the package, or you insure it for it's true value... that'll get ya in trouble.

punkncat: Paintball is not illegal in Canada... lots of people play it all over the country. Dan (Triggernomics) is located in Germany, which you would have seen if you'd read his whole post. You're just doing the person a favour by labeling as a gift... it saves them a few buck in tax and duty. I do the same for people when I ship to the US. There's also nothing really wrong with saying it's paintball gear, but there's always a chance that'll confuse someone unfamiliar with the sport... "sports equipment" is just easier. For God's sake though, don't ever use the word "gun".

sixx

SlartyBartFast
10-14-2004, 11:58 AM
Well, if the recipient wants to avoid paying taxes and you want to declare it as a gift, make sure you gift wrap it and include a birthday card. ;)

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/courier/postal/ind_duty_free-e.html#gift

Deep Sixx
10-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Well, if the recipient wants to avoid paying taxes and you want to declare it as a gift, make sure you gift wrap it and include a birthday card. ;)

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/courier/postal/ind_duty_free-e.html#gift

LOL! I've never heard that before and I've done it dozens of times. Well... next person who buys something from me across the border gets a birthday card! I'll even make it myself!

sixx

punkncat
10-14-2004, 04:17 PM
Thanks for clearing that up.Why doesn't NAFTA make this stuff tax free ?

And I must have just totally missed the Germany thing....... :tard:

SlartyBartFast
10-14-2004, 04:46 PM
Thanks for clearing that up.Why doesn't NAFTA make this stuff tax free ?

NAFTA makes things DUTY and restriction free. Big difference. In thios case the taxes collected by customs are the same as having to pay sales tax in your resident state/province when you buy from another state/province.

But the reality is that only those states and province with reciprocal deals see any of the crossborder taxes paid. Otherwise, the seller usually sells the items tax free and leaves it up to the buyer to declare the purchase to their state/province of residence. And we all know that happens. :rolleyes: But in the case of the federal governments, they enforce their borders and everything has to pass through the tax collectors (customs).

When shipping to Canada, depending on the province the recipient may or may not have to pay provincial taxes. That depends on whether the province has an agreement with the federal government. That's the case of those provinces with HST. In the other provinces that have a PST but that isn't harmonised with the GST, well you're left to be honest and send the check to the province. And we all know that happens. :rolleyes:

Strider
10-14-2004, 05:51 PM

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/courier/postal/ind_duty_free-e.html#giftWow, thats great. :)