PDA

View Full Version : Preferred barrel of choice

Carbon Blue
10-13-2004, 09:23 PM
hey whats up guys!? im in the market for a barrel and currently have a 12inch dye stainless steel barrel. I love this barrel but it weighs my gun down soooo much. Im looking at a 12 inch dye ultralite right now. Do you guys have any reccomendations on to what barrel i should get? im not too big on kits because there too expensive and im just fine with one barrel. Are 10inch barrels any good? what is the preferred length for my xvalved mag?> and im mostly a speedball player . thanks

AGMICROMAG
10-13-2004, 10:05 PM
i run an evil driver barrel.its only avail. in 14", looks great on my micro and very affordable-.689 one piece extra light, and it actually performs awesome :)
i play alot of speedball and airball and love the way the 14" sucks in tight againts the Air Bunkers, just my preference but hope this helps

Manderson666
10-14-2004, 12:18 AM
ive always been a huge fan of DYE. i had a 14" ss on my cocker a few years ago, loved it.

Carbon Blue
10-14-2004, 12:20 AM
ive always been a huge fan of DYE. i had a 14" ss on my cocker a few years ago, loved it.

im a huge fan of dye also, i just want something lighter and something different. im definitely looking at the ultralites and boom sticks in the 10-12inch range.

VFX_Fenix
10-14-2004, 02:12 AM
CP One Piece 12" (4.5oz)
LAPCO Bigshot (loud)
Smart Parts All American (quiet)
J&J Ceramic 14" (4.8oz)
St!ffi (if you just need to shave down to 1.8 oz. for a 12" barrel)
Bob Long - Long Shot SS 14" (14.8oz)
TASO Pro Serries SS 14" (10.9oz)

Kits -

CP Pro
FREAK
Evil Pipe
Snapshot

Most Air Ball players tend towards 14" + barrels. Pallet/Hyperball/Woods/etc (Hard Bunker) players tend to be in the 12 - 14" range with a higher prefference for the 12". Scenario ballers are sort of mavericks, they'll go anywhere from a 4" to an 18"+ barrel (I know because well... I've not only seen the "paint wands" but I own one that I use out in the brush).

Short barrels tend to be faster/more mobile/tighter. Many people who like short barrels play with them because they tend to point faster and its generally easier for them to manouver around bunkers with a 10" or less barrel. Mid length (12" - 14") barrels are good all around functional barrels that have a good mix of site radius (for those that believe in such things) and what I like to call "poke-ability". Great general use barrels. Long barrels, 16"+, tend to be slow and methodical, their length prohibits playing really tight when working bunkers, however some people just absolutely love'em. People who tend to use these barrels are generally going for a good base of fire (hose monkey perhaps?) that they can moosh into a bunker or poke through stuff to get shots or any other number of reasons.

Personally I like 12" to 14" barrels. I like them for asthetic reasons more so than functional reasons since I have both 12" and 14" barrels and they both shoot about the same. Some of my barrels require me to turn up my velocity a bit or turn it down. Generally barrel length is a matter of personal prefference, then again so is the barrel material.

If you've played with a 12" then stick with a 12" unless you're ready to adjust to your longer/shorter barrel. For me, anything shorter than a 12" is just silly, especially with how short the acceleration zones are on a lot of barrels. I can play with barrels longer that 14" but it takes a lot of work for me and it isn't very comfortable for me, but then again I still don't get the appeal of a rail/uni-mount because they all make my guns feel too long. Anyway, I hope this helps some.

Flossabe
10-14-2004, 03:04 AM
They absolute quietest barrel I have ever shot by far is the Lucky 15 kit from Warped Sprotz, it is a 3 full barrel kit, no inserts, fronts, or backs, in sizes .685, .689, and .693, never have a problme with barrel match and even if the paint is .681 it still shoots stright ever time. The people I play with say that you cannot hear me shooting at them at all. Theese are the barrels that Avalanche uses and you will not find a quieter, strighter barrel any where guaranteed. and they come in a cool case. Check them out at www.warpedsprotz.com you wont be sorry. I noticed you were woried about the length, 10" barrels kindof suck, not enough length to do any good, this is a 15" kit witch you may think is a llittle long, personlaly all I play is airball and I will never go to any berrel below 14", but that is personal prefrence.

halfHP
10-14-2004, 04:00 AM
Ive used the Dye stainless 1 piece boomsticks almost exclusively for the past 3-4 years. My favorite used to be a boomstick 12". I think the other is a 10", not sure but its smaller. I really like those barrels because they are so smooth - very easy to polish out and super tough. Definitely heavy though, and it may be just me but they seem unusually loud too.

Right now, believe it or not, my favorite barrel is a 14" j&j ceramic barrel. Costs about $30 brand new. Call me a liar or a loser or whatever but I swear it outperforms the boomsticks in just about every way. One thing I have noticed about the J&J barrels though is that they seem to have alot of gunk coated onto the inner surface of the barrel that doesnt just rinse out with water. Once I gave mine a good cleaning it was perfect. It's quiet and I swear it seems to shoot straighter and farther. And the weight difference - as far as I know the J&J ceramic barrels is one of the lightest around. Quite a noticeable difference.

Thats my 2 cents.

Titansu
10-14-2004, 01:35 PM
You'd want to buy a DYE boomstick w/ 10" black tip - not for the performance & accuracy issues... mainly because I'm trying to sell one. :shooting:

daviselk
10-15-2004, 05:20 PM
I have a 14" sanchez system, but i know that Dye has allways had good barrels but some do not fit on mags if u have a twist lock assembly. So your taking a chance their if u dont have a ULE or somthing.

14" looks, feels, and plays well. go with 14".

Imag
10-15-2004, 07:22 PM
I actually use a 14"2 piece all american (smart parts, i know i know..) but its actually very accurate on my mag and i think it looks great. its mediumish light but WAAY lighter than my brothers boomstick (or than my dads flatline ((yuck)) ). heres some links from Toms Tech Tips on this website that i found helpful..

Boresize (http://www.automags.org/resource/tech/tomstech/02_boresize.shtml[/url)
and...
Barrel Efficiency (http://www.automags.org/resource/tech/tomstech/01_barrel_eff.shtml)

i especially found the barrel efficiency one interesting..

also take into consideration what size paint you normally shoot and find a good barrel to match it, i believe pbnation.com has a barrel chart you can use

hope this helps!

Flow_Tech
10-16-2004, 05:08 PM
go with a 12-14" scepter,great 3 bore kits for under 140,and avalable in differnt tips,and backs,i have 2 scepters,wouldnt use another barrel ever..

MonsterMag
10-16-2004, 07:26 PM
usally any barrel over 100 bucks , Freak,kit, pipe kit , empire kit, any many others

there are ecpections thow , such as the boomy, AA , and others

:cheers:

Rumble
10-16-2004, 09:23 PM
If you are worried about the weight of your gun, get a stiffi! barrel. Its supposedly the lightest out there, because its made of carbon fibre. I've never shot one, so maybe someone else can give you some more insight.