PDA

View Full Version : probablem with trigger

giblit
10-30-2001, 10:43 PM
ok i just bought a used mini mag for my old pos cocker and the guy had this mag i think for a year and half and he put an extended pin in it so it would have a shorter trigger and i dont know what this means. also i got a double trigger for it and the trigger goes all the way back and i dont know if that s supose to be right it feels like im shooting my old spyder. i have nitro ive tryed lubing it ajusting the trigger and everything and i cant figure out how to make the trigger not go so far is this normal?
plz help!

Drizit
10-31-2001, 09:34 AM
ok mag trigger jobs 101 (oh boy am I going to get reamed for telling anyone to touch the sear rod. :) )
first gas up the gun.
once the sear rod is pushing out as far as it wants to, start turning it with needle nose pliers until there is about the thickness of a peace of paper between the end of it and the back of the trigger.
next pull the trigger and enjoy.

a word of warning. if you crank it out too far you will do nothing but short stroke the gun. keep that in mind when you think "it would shorten my pull even more if I keep turning this out." also you will want to stay away form trigger stops unless you managed to find an autoresponse trigger somewhere.

other then that you will want to learn a lot more about how your mag works before you try any of the other mag trigger jobs that ppl say you can do.
hope this helps, and have fun on the field, with your shiny new (sorta) mag.

Potatoboy
10-31-2001, 09:41 AM
I'm not going to ream Drizit, but I will say this: Don't mess with the trigger rod! Doing so is almost as bad as screwing around with a cocker's timing just because you're bored. Messing with the rod will more than likely end up causing excessive wear, and may make your market function abnormally. You may want to get an AGD trigger frame. The intelliframes are nice 2 finger triggers, or if you really don't care for 2 finger triggers, a lot of us have purchased the intelliframe and have our stock frames just sitting around.

Drizit
10-31-2001, 01:56 PM
I've never run into any excessive ware because of a trigger rod adjustment. I agree that if done improperly you marker won't work properly though. however you have peaked my curiosity. how could it cause ware exactly? it's something I'd like to look into.

froggie
10-31-2001, 02:50 PM
If you are looking to shorten up your trigger pull then I would just recommend the Intelliframe right away. I played with a benchmark double-trigger and I had the same feeling that the pull was just too long and the gap between the sear rod and the back of the trigger was rather large, even after turning out the rod to the point where it wouldn't short-stroke. The benchmark is a somewhat decent frame but after playing with the Intelliframe I wish I could have gone with it first and saved some money.

Drizit
11-01-2001, 12:25 AM
just found something somewhat related to your problem on www.g3pb.com in the projects section. it's how to put a trigger stop in a benchmark frame. this doesn't look like the type of thing that will be easy but it just may fix your problem. however don't be too surprised if you have to fight with the thing for a long time to get the adjustment to work so that the gun will cycle. I have it form someone who knows about all there is to know about mags that the benchmark frame for the mag is junk (not the word he used but hey we have a filter for things like that) he referred to it as possibly the worst aftermarket part made for the mag. (blunt eh?) your other (and probably better) option is to get your hands on an intelliframe.

Panzerr
11-01-2001, 08:26 AM
If you mess with the length of you trigger rod too much, you may end up with a problem I experienced last summer with my RT.

My trigger rod slowly backed out over time. Symptoms were: inability to remove valve due to the on/off pin not being depressed by the sear (i had to take the whole gun apart and press it in with a screwdriver), non-recharging of the valve due to the on/off pin not being in contact with the sear. My RT actually seized up on me during the 2nd Polar Bear last summer.

Drizit
11-01-2001, 09:14 AM
that is something that could happen. and there is only two solutions I can see working.
1. don't screw with it in the first place (not my recommended solution but it would do the trick)

2. LockeTite.

Tankdriver
11-05-2001, 05:34 AM
Does anyone know what the 'proper' length of the trigger rod should be? When i first bought my used mag i took apart the whole gun, including trigger rod and i unscrewed the whole thing to check for dirt and rust. Now my mag leaks down the barrel occassionally and after reading this post I am pretty sure that incorrect trigger rod length is causing it. Also, want to thank you guys for the posts about the benchy. I was this close to buying one, but now i think i'll save up the money and go with an Intelliframe instead. :)

scribe
11-05-2001, 07:15 AM
if it leaks down the barrel occasionally i believe it's a problem with your power tube. most likely an o-ring. what you want to do, is get yourself the automag video that airgun sends you with each gun. it is very helpful. he even troubleshoots at the end of the video and air leaking down the barrel is one of them. i'm sure u can still get the video just by calling airgun.

www.airgun.com

Drizit
11-05-2001, 09:02 AM
scribe is right you can still get the video from AGD. all you have to do is register your gun then call them and ask for it. I got mine within a week and it was totally free. and as to the trigger rod length as long as when you gas the gun up there is still at least the width of a peace of paper between the end of the rod and the back of the trigger you should be ok. as to it being to short the only way to check that is to put it at stock length and I can't remember what that is. however if you turn it out to the max safe length you should be all right.

Panzerr
11-05-2001, 10:48 AM
What type of grip frame is it?

Tankdriver
11-05-2001, 08:36 PM
you won't believe my luck. The previous owner of the mag was nice enough to send me the instruction video along with the gun. When I pop it in the VCR and it JAMS up my VCR, spewing tape all over the place. I haven't gotten another copy of the video, or a VCR for that matter. Anyhow, the grip is the stock grip frame. From Drizit's post, it sounds like it's ok for the trigger rod to be 'too long' so that there is a bit of travel between the back of the trigger to the frame itself, rather then 'too short', which might cause other problems.

grr. wish I had the video and a VCR to watch it on. My question is, what is the factory set trigger rod length? anyone know where i can look this up?

BTW, thanks for all the help. Gotta start saving for that intelliframe.

Drizit
11-06-2001, 10:41 AM
there is a sweet area if it's too short then it won't close the on/off all the way and you will still me screwed. however if you pull it and the trigger stops before it contacts the frame then you are still good, however if the trigger rod still has some movement after the pull you may still have problems. do a search I know that the trigger rod length is on here somewhere.

deded
11-08-2001, 05:47 PM
http://www.airgun.com/faq.html#triggerrodlong

Hope this helps!