PDA

View Full Version : What to buy for a viking?

magmanl337
10-18-2004, 08:27 PM
Hey guys, as my dad is coming home soon, and just bought him a viking, what are some upgrades i should buy for it? The current Setup:

-2004 AKA Viking
-Was Board
-Eyes
-SCM
-Dynaflow 45ci 6800psi tank
-CCM Adjustable Feed Neck (No Rise)
-Halo B

afultz075
10-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Mitey Max - this is a volumizer, makes the gun slightly more efficient and reduces kick
Razor Trigger (that or dremel him something custom from the stock "fat blade")

ilikePB
10-18-2004, 09:07 PM
Mitey Max - this is a volumizer, makes the gun slightly more efficient and reduces kick
Razor Trigger (that or dremel him something custom from the stock "fat blade")
I'd go with a Mitey Max for sure like he said. However, for a trigger I'd either get a roller bearing from JMJ or Froth at undecidedpb.com. Also, maybe a Bedlam switch if he prefers a really light pull, I prefer the stock switch with no spring though. Or maybe a JMJ snatch grip too, I have one, they are nice. That's about it, not much else to get, they rock in stock. Oh yeah, get a tool kit too, that way you can adjust the LPR if needed and take the whole thing apart to clean it easily.

afultz075
10-18-2004, 09:26 PM
Personally, I hated my Bedlam switch, it was impossible for me to get a pull that I liked, now i'm using a flipped stock switch with no spring, well I think it's flipped at least, all I know is it's a hell of a lot better than my Bedlam.

Just make sure you give your Dad's gun a sick trigger job before you give it to him, because the trigger pull out of the box SUCKS.

Steelrat
10-18-2004, 09:28 PM
I'd go with a Mitey Max for sure like he said. However, for a trigger I'd either get a roller bearing from JMJ or Froth at undecidedpb.com. Also, maybe a Bedlam switch if he prefers a really light pull, I prefer the stock switch with no spring though. Or maybe a JMJ snatch grip too, I have one, they are nice. That's about it, not much else to get, they rock in stock. Oh yeah, get a tool kit too, that way you can adjust the LPR if needed and take the whole thing apart to clean it easily.

Or, you can just use the free roving toolkit I am sending around. Its stickied on the PBN AKA forum. Comes with the toolkit and equalink cable for WAS boards, no charge other than what it costs to send to the next user.

I agree with everything so far. Miteymax is nice, but not needed. Upgraded trigger is DEFINATELY needed. I like the razor blade. I have a JMJ reverse blade ordered, but I cant recommend it until I try it. The big items are the sticky grips, clamping feedneck, and Halo B hopper. Everything else is nice, but not necessary.

afultz075
10-18-2004, 09:30 PM
Honestly, my stock feedneck fits a barely sanded ReB perfectly and without movement, so I haven't really found the urge to spend $40 on a CCM.

ilikePB
10-18-2004, 09:32 PM
Or, you can just use the free roving toolkit I am sending around. Its stickied on the PBN AKA forum. Comes with the toolkit and equalink cable for WAS boards, no charge other than what it costs to send to the next user.
Sorry didn't notice that, my comp crashed and it took me 10 days to get it back up so I'm trying to catch up in all the forums I visit. That will save you a lot of money going with the free roving toolkit that Steelrat mentioned.

ilikePB
10-18-2004, 09:34 PM
Honestly, my stock feedneck fits a barely sanded ReB perfectly and without movement, so I haven't really found the urge to spend $40 on a CCM.
Can you hold your gun by the hopper with a hopper full of paint, a barrel and the tank on it? Because I can. :)

_tMAN
10-18-2004, 09:36 PM
wait, you bought your dad a viking?!

you my friend, are a great son!

afultz075
10-18-2004, 09:37 PM
No, but why would I? ;)

magmanl337
10-18-2004, 10:29 PM
wait, you bought your dad a viking?!

you my friend, are a great son!

Yea, ppl have been saying this alot. Its been around AO for a while, and Heather Frymark is making custom 3d carved grips for free for this thing, i just hope i get it all together in time for when he gets back from over seas. (He works in the navy, he's been repairing helicopters over seas for a total of 12 months, 1 week in the past 2 years)

RTDynaflow
10-18-2004, 10:47 PM
I would say for a volumizer the DC one. It is exactly even with the SCM. Looks better IMO. For a trigger I would go with any of the above mentioned and add a magnet in the front tang. All the vikings I have messed around with (7), the ones with magnetic trigger were the fastest and easiest to adjust the trigger on. You can custom tune the 25g WAS switch to perfection. Out of actual triggers, my two favorites are a one of delrin and a froth trigger (the forward angled one). Depends how he likes the trigger. Delrin trigger was very light and always passed a "drop" test. The froth let you bang you fingers into the trigger guard for ez walking.

If you want, I will drill your trigger and install a magnet for him free of charge. Just ship it over and I will cover the shipping back. If you want...

Maybe an empire micro rail? If you want have one.

Barrel?

Can't think of anything else. Would definately recommend the magnet mod. If he doesn't like it you can always back the screw out enough to negate it.

Nate

magmanl337
10-18-2004, 11:10 PM
Where can i buy the above mentioned magnet? and do i jsut glue it on the the tongue of the trigger?

RTDynaflow
10-18-2004, 11:58 PM
Err.. you can get them all over. Mine are from Radioshack. No, you have to drill the front of your tang out. Easy to do.. if you have a drill press. Wish I had some pics of the trigger before I press the magnet and glued it in. If you just glue the magnet on top it won't work. That and probably fall off. I think you posted on my other thread??

Anyway, I got around to testing the trigger thi saturday. With two magnets (one counersunk into the tank, the other sitting on top) the trigger was WAY too far back to even work properly. You MUST countersink the magnet. Like I said, it isn't a hard thing to do, if you have some machine tools availible, a little know how and time.

A link - http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=155444 Check out the very last pic. You can see how it is level with the tang. The magnets will run ya about 3 dollars at your local radioshack. I have a butt load of them laying around... and like I said, just ship it to me (Houston) USPS (cost ya like 80 cents) and I will drill it and set ya a magnet and ship it back off next day, free of charge. Should be about a week round time, depending on where you live. Or if you haven't purchased a trigger yet, you can have JmJ (or whoever) ship it directly to me....

LMK

Sac
10-19-2004, 02:43 PM
another type of trigger to check out are the new JMJ concepts roller bearing triggers.

The Frymarker
10-21-2004, 01:31 PM
Cutting left panel today. Each panel takes a day to carve, hopefully I should have you pics next week.

Take care

magmanl337
10-21-2004, 04:10 PM
Thanks heather, ive had a pretty bad today, but you've raised my spirit. :clap:

MMM
10-21-2004, 04:57 PM
magman
If you want the magnetic trigger mod our token AKA tech in San Diegodoes them. He also went out the Colorado to spend a few weeks with John at JMJ to create the new roller trigger that is also magnetic and externially adjustable. I highly recommend the mod or the new trigger, magnetic triggers have a crisp sharp feel to them that just can't be reproduced any other way.

The Frymarker
10-24-2004, 11:38 AM
Thought I'd give you a sneak peek at what's to come....
http://www.grip-me.com/newgrips/cncpics/broncos.jpg

I should have these grips ready to go this week.

Take care

can'tthink of1
10-24-2004, 12:48 PM
-Dynaflow 45ci 6800psi tank

Do you mean a 68/4500 tank?

magmanl337
10-24-2004, 02:12 PM
Do you mean a 68/4500 tank?

lol ya. 6800 psi would be too much hahah

ilikePB
10-24-2004, 04:05 PM
Thought I'd give you a sneak peek at what's to come....
http://www.grip-me.com/newgrips/cncpics/broncos.jpg

I should have these grips ready to go this week.

Take care
WOW, those are looking very good so far.

magmanl337
10-24-2004, 08:37 PM
Those are awesome heather, they look nice so far.

The Frymarker
10-24-2004, 08:41 PM
One pair is finished and is curing......I decided to do another pair, since the mold was just sitting here.

So your dad will have 2 pair, he can put the other set on another marker I guess.

The other pair I just spent an hour hand painting the resin into the mold.

I think you and your dad are really going to like them. I'll let you know when they ship, I usually like to hold on to them for a week just to give them some extra time to cure.

magmanl337
10-24-2004, 08:46 PM
Just remember, my dad coems home in 10 days, but i dont think he'll mind if they come in late. i was going to give him my mag as a backup to him when i buy a new gun for myself around january, they can go on that gun, or i can just keep them on hand incase one of the other grips get damaged.

The Frymarker
10-25-2004, 07:44 AM
I should be sending both pairs out this Saturday. Please email me your address.

magmanl337
10-25-2004, 03:24 PM
sent u an email - thanks again for the grips.

Coray
10-25-2004, 06:06 PM
Whoa, nice grips, gj

The Frymarker
10-26-2004, 08:15 AM
Thanks,

Yeah one of the panels didn't come out the way I wanted it too so I'm doing that one over. This happens quite often, so that is why I like to say orders take 3 weeks. That way I can sometime to redo them if needed.

It is usually tiny bubbles that form, I can't notice them in the mold, it is only after they are demolded do I see them.

magmanl337
10-26-2004, 12:28 PM
No problem heather, is there any chance we can get a pic of the one that turned out good? Alot of people are asking me for pics.

The Frymarker
10-26-2004, 02:20 PM
Well I wanted to surprise you both but if you really want pics....

http://www.grip-me.com/gripmepics/Pict0630w.jpg

The one on the top is clear with the horse logo hand painted into the mold, do worry it is resin and it is not going to come off.

The second pair is made with a graphic printed and placed inside of the resin, they look better in person, I'm not the greatest picture taker.

I like them both I can't really decide which I like better.

Creative Mayhem
10-26-2004, 05:07 PM
Nice Job! Can't wait to see the grips for my "special" friend :ninja:

ilikePB
10-26-2004, 07:45 PM
WOW, those things look awesome! You do some quality work.

LeatherPants
10-26-2004, 07:46 PM
What to buy for a Viking? Paint. Lots of it. :shooting:

magmanl337
10-26-2004, 08:23 PM
What to buy for a Viking? Paint. Lots of it. :shooting:

amen to that lol. :hail: