PDA

View Full Version : Need some Input from AO - New Rail, Pics, Etc . . .

CoolHand
10-19-2004, 03:12 PM
OK guys, I've been working on this rail for quite a while now. I'm calling it the Gamma (Alpha, Gamma, Delta would be next, etc. . . . . I like greek letters).

Anyway, here is where your input comes in.

I'd like to see how many folks would be interested in these rails. They will be cut from 6061 T-6 Alum billet, not an extrusion. No final price yet, but I know they won't sell if they are over $100 a piece, so obviously under that. They will be higher than the Alphas though, guaranteed. Estimated weight is ~4oz. Uses RTP sears. Should fit an EMag. Dimension wise, it comes out flush with the back of the valve (the valve does not hang out the back at all), and should end up extending the same angle as the front of the ULE body on out the front. It will be flush at the bottom of the body, and then extend forward at the same angle (so its longer than a stock RTP rail, by about an inch).

This is a go/no-go thing. The design is done, so if you don't like it, vote that way, and let me know why you don't like it. (anyone who simply posts that it doesn't "flow" well will be shot on the spot, and/or have a rabit wombat put down their shorts)

Here are the pics:

http://www.logicpaintball.com/GammaTilt1Wire.jpg

http://www.logicpaintball.com/GammaSideWire.jpg

http://www.logicpaintball.com/GammaTop.jpg

http://www.logicpaintball.com/GammaTilt3.jpg

http://www.logicpaintball.com/GammaTilt2.jpg

http://www.logicpaintball.com/GammaTilt1.jpg

Also, I'm making the poll public, so I can see who voted how, and ask about what people don't like.

Thanks for looking.

Wheelman
10-19-2004, 03:14 PM
Let me be the first to vote for......Sweeeeeeeet

:headbang:

CoolHand
10-19-2004, 03:16 PM
Let me be the first to vote for......Sweeeeeeeet

That's what I'd hoped you'd say.

Here's to hoping most folks feel the same way. :dance:

Thanks for looking.

CoolHand
10-19-2004, 03:18 PM
lbonettosd - What didn't you like? (Not gonna get mad or anything, I just like feedback.)

Thanks for looking.

chairman_mao
10-19-2004, 03:19 PM
I'm not real hot on it. The shape is ok, very similar to the rail Tuna just released as well as Rouge's and the standard AGD rail. Also I personally don't like the spaces that are milled in between the flairs and the rail body. It's just more places for paint to collect and what not.

My thoughts on the shape may change with seeing it placed with a body. I sometimes have a hard time visualizing . My other main concern is tolerances. It sounds like you are not using AGD parts to constuct this, which is fine, but I know that there have been many problems with fabricated parts that are not AGD based (e.g. the IT bodies). This would be a major deterant for me from purchasing htis product.

lautt
10-19-2004, 03:31 PM
i love the holes in it :hail:

CoolHand
10-19-2004, 03:31 PM
I'm not real hot on it. The shape is ok, very similar to the rail Tuna just released as well as Rouge's and the standard AGD rail. Also I personally don't like the spaces that are milled in between the flairs and the rail body. It's just more places for paint to collect and what not.

My thoughts on the shape may change with seeing it placed with a body. I sometimes have a hard time visualizing . My other main concern is tolerances. It sounds like you are not using AGD parts to constuct this, which is fine, but I know that there have been many problems with fabricated parts that are not AGD based (e.g. the IT bodies). This would be a major deterant for me from purchasing htis product.

OK, I'm gonna get this one out of the way early on.

ANY decent machinist can hold the tolerances necessary to make a mag work correctly. AGD does not do their own machine work, so obviously its not some mo-jo that Tom has, its just the skills of a decent machinist. That said, like always, anything I manufacture comes with our Lifetime Warranty.

Now, no more talk of bad tolerances. Stigmas are hard to erase, especially when they aren't earned. My stuff has always been close tolerance, and barring any unforseen shenaniganns from the anodizer or the like, they will continue to be. If we do ever have a problem, that's what the warranty is there for.

You won't need it though. :nono:

Burphel
10-19-2004, 03:35 PM
I actually really like the milled out wings. From a scenario player standpoint, it gives you something to run zip ties to if you can't find a Weaver mount for something you want on your Tac-one. Could also be good for those who want slings.

Or you could just use it with a ULE body and let it just look cool.

Only real downside I see is having the weight-reduction cuts to the middle go all the way through the body. I dislike the idea of unnecessary openings into the innards of the gun.

atm743
10-19-2004, 03:42 PM
very very nice if it fits an e-mag for sure :D when do you know when they will be coming out?? and will i be able to send in my own rail for you to mill or do you have to buy the hole new one?? ill give it a B+ but i think that you should do some milling were the valve rests like your alpha rails for stock mags. but i am looking in to buying one after seeing the pics:D lmk if you will be able to let us send in e-mag rails then you can mill em?? thanks

Big'n slo
10-19-2004, 03:43 PM
I like the overall shape and design, I too dislike the through cuts on the wings.
Would it be possible to lengthen the rear of the rail past the bottom of the valve and add a built in D-ring shape? Basically a built in snatch grip,

http://home.comcast.net/~jeffreykier/GammaTilt2.jpg

Basically offers something the others don't.

Magz_rule
10-19-2004, 03:46 PM
Would i be able to put on my rogue 15* Vertical adapter on this or no?

tony3
10-19-2004, 03:48 PM
Looks just like tuna's double winged rail.

WenULiVeUdiE
10-19-2004, 04:05 PM
I like it. It gives me a laid back vibe. Most mag products look " in your face!", but this is something different. Very nice.

jwalker87
10-19-2004, 04:09 PM
i really like the cuts on the wings. However, I don't think they should go all the way through. Maybe a trough-like thing on the top and bottom of the wings, if you know what I mean. I like the overall design though! very sexxxy!

DiSoRdeR
10-19-2004, 04:10 PM
I like every thing about it, especially the cuts through the wings :headbang: I will have a job in a couple of weeks, so I will definitly have to pick one up :D Do you know when they will be available any time soon?

Chipper
10-19-2004, 04:15 PM
i really like the cuts on the wings. However, I don't think they should go all the way through. Maybe a trough-like thing on the top and bottom of the wings, if you know what I mean. I like the overall design though! very sexxxy!
Would that maybe be harder to clean?

But yeah, that is sick. If it was priced reasonably ;) there would be nothing stopping me from buying it.

p8ntball365
10-19-2004, 04:21 PM
if the price is reasonable and they come in black i might think about picking one up. as for cleaning do you think it would be hard to clean, under normal conditions of course?

luke
10-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Very nice. I REALLY like it because it's original. :headbang:

Arawn
10-19-2004, 04:51 PM
I like the slotted wings, they'll make it easier to strap your mag to a length of wood and construct a makeshift Mag-spear.

:D

It seems like every time I pop in here, someone has come out with some sexy new option for Mag builders.

B.

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
10-19-2004, 05:57 PM
I'm just not a fan of the sharp angles, I like your Alpha rail better.

Even though I don't like it personally, it has its ups, and it should sell.

Chronobreak
10-19-2004, 06:25 PM
i think it would look ncie on one of my stealth body desighns :D other than that i dont see it flowing with anything out currently.it also doesnt look to stand out from any rails that are currently offered from you,tuna,or rogue.

il tel you the same thing i told tuna i think a more omega type rail would be nice. how come thers no flame rails? i dono all the rail desighns are plain imo

and on a sidenote it appears there wont be NAY holes which is a BIG PLUES in my book ;)

White_Noise
10-19-2004, 07:51 PM
hey coolhand, love the new rail. if you do make these, i will deffinately be ordering one.

btw, lil question for you. will the 1.1 vertframe trigger fit into the 1.0 frame? if so i may want to order one from ya.

--mike

fire1811
10-19-2004, 08:06 PM
make and exact copy of the Omega rail
still the best looking rail IMO

fire1811
10-19-2004, 08:07 PM
also
PLEASE make sure that the foregrip can slide far enough back so that it is REALLY close to the trigger frame.

CoolHand
10-19-2004, 08:10 PM
hey coolhand, love the new rail. if you do make these, i will deffinately be ordering one.

btw, lil question for you. will the 1.1 vertframe trigger fit into the 1.0 frame? if so i may want to order one from ya.

--mike

I can make one fit. :rofl:

They won't just drop in, but its doable, done three or four already, so I know it works. The safety won't fit in a V1 frame, but the trigger will go just fine.

If we do these rails, its gonna be at least 8 weeks out, putting the release around the first of the year.

Tony - Yeah, they do look alike. But do you really think I just solid modeled that whole deal in less than three days time? I've been working on this design for ~6 weeks (not just modeling it mind you, the whole process), we just happen to think along the same lines. I could use the line about great minds and all, but I will refrain just now. :D

CoolHand
10-19-2004, 08:12 PM
also
PLEASE make sure that the foregrip can slide far enough back so that it is REALLY close to the trigger frame.

Yeah, the slot is cut far enough back that you can butt the VA right up against the frame.

I hear ya bud, I dig that look too.

BeaverEater
10-19-2004, 08:14 PM
Its a neat design but its just not for me. I didnt like wings in the first place and now you've just added more.

fire1811
10-19-2004, 08:17 PM
Yeah, the slot is cut far enough back that you can butt the VA right up against the frame.

I hear ya bud, I dig that look too.

very good thats what i wanted to hear

CoolHand
10-19-2004, 08:26 PM
Its a neat design but its just not for me. I didnt like wings in the first place and now you've just added more.

Yeah, ya got me there. :rofl:

Can't argue with that.

I added the wings to break up the giant slab look you get from a wingless rail (which I kinda don't like).

Thanks for your input though. :headbang:

Chronobreak
10-19-2004, 08:30 PM
make and exact copy of the Omega rail
still the best looking rail IMO

i wish somone would remake them

:hint hint ;) ;)

shartley
10-19-2004, 08:33 PM
Yeah, ya got me there. :rofl:

Can't argue with that.

I added the wings to break up the giant slab look you get from a wingless rail (which I kinda don't like).

Thanks for your input though. :headbang:
I agree.

Tunaman
10-19-2004, 08:52 PM
I think it's cool as hell. Nice job.

firebanex
10-19-2004, 09:19 PM
I LOVE it coolhand. just so much cooler than others in my opinion.

i would deffinatly buy one when/if they are realesed. (that is asuming i have money and i can convince my parents i need one)

Bad_Dog
10-19-2004, 09:59 PM
It doesnt fancy my style but I do think that alot of people will like it. Maby something for scenario peoples to enjoy.. prolly hook a sling or somthin on there :p

Skywalker
10-19-2004, 10:16 PM
Who's cares about the rails, make an electro vert frame for the mag. I've been waiting for quite some time now/

CoolHand
10-19-2004, 10:41 PM
I think it's cool as hell. Nice job.

Thank you.

Where did you get that extrusion you cut yours from? (if you don't mind my asking) Or did you even start with an extrusion?

Its not a big deal either way, I was just curious.

I am liking the reception so far.

Keep the feedback coming folks! :dance:

Skywalker - Stay tuned son. :ninja:

SpecialBlend2786
10-19-2004, 10:46 PM
I like what I see so far....

Lets see a ULE body on that model!

reese0351
10-19-2004, 11:18 PM
Would i be able to put on my rogue 15* Vertical adapter on this or no?

I'd like to know that as well. Of the three rails that just came out it *looks* like none of them will be dovetailed.

Bob_da_Splatman
10-19-2004, 11:23 PM
I am def diggin' it though it has the sharp angles which normally put me off I like a lot!!!

CoolHand
10-19-2004, 11:24 PM
I'd like to know that as well. Of the three rails that just came out it *looks* like none of them will be dovetailed.

If its made to fit a Classic rail, then no it won't fit.

However, I have ways of making them co-operate. :ninja:

I can make it fit, one way or another.

Thanks for looking.

ScatterPlot
10-19-2004, 11:39 PM
Really like the cuts. Very original, which is something that is hard to do to a rail.

frop
10-20-2004, 12:16 AM
I had my doubts at first, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. I would suggest filling in the hole on the nose extension & rounding off or beveling the sharp edge on the nose. Other than that, I like it. :D

RTDynaflow
10-20-2004, 01:55 AM
Love it. Only thing I would like to see, the rear of the rail extended an inchor so. Like someone else mentioned... Kind of like a build in snatch grip in an open D cut.

Nate

Threewheeler
10-20-2004, 04:43 AM
Very nice. Love the ?holes? through the wings. If only I could afford to tote around 6 different mags...

Janixs
10-20-2004, 08:41 AM
Great job; not something I would buy but the more products for Mags the better for us all. I would like to see someone make a one-piece body/rail similar to the X-Mag but with out the removable breach. How about a rail that you can attach a folding stock on the back and a clip on the front for those scenario players.

Big'n slo
10-20-2004, 10:05 AM
Love it. Only thing I would like to see, the rear of the rail extended an inchor so. Like someone else mentioned... Kind of like a build in snatch grip in an open D cut.

Nate

See!! I'm not the only one!

C'mon be daring!

http://home.comcast.net/~jeffreykier/Pics/rail-copy.jpg

:ninja:

logamus
10-20-2004, 10:32 AM
i am just not a fan of the "wings" on mag rails and it looks like you have added a second "canard" to the rail. if someone is into wings then this thing is hot, but if someone is like me and fairly anti-wing then its a great idea but not on my gun. good work though ryan.

TheTramp
10-20-2004, 10:43 AM
It seems to me to be basicly like a Tuna rail (which I like) with slots cut through the wings. I can't tell with the renderings how the extra length will look on a gun. I like the Tuna rail so I'd probably like this one as well. The slots are pretty cool.

I wouldn't spend the money myself because I just bought a ULE rail from Tuna but I suppose I might buy it if I didn't already have something.

I don't think you'll sell a ton of these because it's very close to the Tuna so you have direct compatition. Perhaps a real picture of it on a gun would show how it's different. Only so many people are going to spend ~$100 to lose a few ounces and you'll have to split those people with the guys who are already selling lighter rails.

So....I think it looks good but I'm not sure you'll sell a ton.

The Frymarker
10-20-2004, 10:49 AM
I like it, but then again I like everything :D

jayloo
10-20-2004, 11:01 AM
I like it and that is all. Just not enough for me to buy one.

I am always in the market for something new and innovative for my mag but the bar has been raised very high with the design of the Cord -> Dallara -> karta body/rail combos. Im diggin all the curves and complex millings. Sharp corners and angles just dont appeal to me.

CoolHand
10-20-2004, 07:33 PM
OK, since I was not paying attention, and got beat to market by the other guys, I am going to abandon the Omicron entirely, and likely abandon this one as well.

If there are enough folks that want one of these (say more than 25 people), and are willing to pre-order (non-refundable), and wait out the 8 weeks that it will take to get them done, I will do a limited run of them.

If that is what you all would like me to do, let me know, and I will start a pre-order thread in the dealer's forum. When the list gets up to 20 names or so, I will get the ball rolling.

Let me know what you think.

jwalker87
10-20-2004, 09:54 PM
I think you should start up a preorder thread. Set a definite price, and set a minimum amount of people who must sign up before you will make them. It's about $100, right? If so, I would definitely be interested in one.

GT
10-20-2004, 10:02 PM
the "window wings" look sweet.

CoolHand
10-20-2004, 10:35 PM
I think you should start up a preorder thread. Set a definite price, and set a minimum amount of people who must sign up before you will make them. It's about $100, right? If so, I would definitely be interested in one.

I think I'm gonna do that.

Check in the dealers forum tomorrow or the next day for it.

Thanks for looking.

mobius
10-21-2004, 09:38 PM
I would totally buy one if it didn't have the ULE holes in the wings and the nose. Otherwise, I like it better than any of the other current offerings.

CoolHand
10-22-2004, 06:14 PM
OK, preorder thread in the Dealer's Forum is up.

Go Here for PreOrder Info. (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=156184)

Thanks for looking.