PDA

View Full Version : J&J Edge and MacDev Matchstik kits

afultz075
10-19-2004, 09:13 PM
I'm getting an Excalibur, so i'm gonna need a barrel kit at some point. Most i'm willing to pay is $140 for a kit, and these two have really caught my eye and are in that range. Anyone have experience with either of these, or even better, both of these? How the build quality, quietness, etc of each?

fire1811
10-19-2004, 09:18 PM
i have shot the Jj and it shot well
prefer the custom products kit though

personman
10-19-2004, 09:19 PM
I have a JJ Edge kit and I love it. I've owned it for about a year and a half and I dont intend to switch barrels unless I get another gun that is not cocker threaded or this one snaps in half or something. It's extremely light. I dont know about quietness, I never pay attention and honestly I dont care either. I would love this barrel even if it sounded like a freaking shotgun :)

afultz075
10-19-2004, 09:36 PM
Do you have any trouble with paint matching with the J&J though? There's only two bores in .68x.

digitard
10-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Never used the Matchstick.

But.

Used to have a sponsorship with J&J and used it with my Excal I had, and a few Vikings. Nothing special, but pretty good barrel kits. I dug it. Straight shot, normally could shoot out a break pretty easily.

Our whole team used em' for a while. There were 3 vikings being used and all shot well. I actually like the barrel, and they're very inexpensive.

Normally would end up using the 69x tip or the 689. Had no problems with bore sizing/etc. Seemed (I had a full bore set) I always had a bore for any type of paint we shot.

afultz075
10-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Nice! So far i'm liking the J&J, only thing that still makes me interested in the Matchstik is the 3 tips, but seeing as I don't use 12 in. tips and i'm only used to using 14 in. barrels and not 16 in., I think the 3 tips are kinda negligible.

digitard
10-19-2004, 09:56 PM
I had a 10" and a 12" tip on mine. I mainly used the 12" and rarely changed out. Mainly I just kept it with me cause our barrel pieces went missing a lot (yeah... we had to order kits all the time...lol) so I'd loan tips to other teamates/people/etc.

FragTek
10-19-2004, 10:48 PM
If $140 is your price range I highly encourage you to purchase a MatchStik kit, you simply can't go wrong for the price, they shoot phenominally!

ubooze
10-19-2004, 11:55 PM
I got a J&J Kit at Shatnerball. I am just going to say a few things. The case is like SUPER hard to open sometimes. The barrel feels light, almost to the point it feels cheap. They seem uber thin, I mean, compared to my Cermaic and Javelin. They KINDA feel cheap, just EVER so slightly, but the interior is super smooth and shiny. They screw together with a slight grind/sqqueel, but they do their job. Shoot smooth and straight. When it comes to cleaning itself, not as nice as my Ceramic, it does a relatively okay job. I wanted a full deramic edge kit, but those cost more.

Never seen or touched a MatchStik, I think the largewr (is it 7-piece?) kit looks nice. But then again, it could be crap.

SO, try to compare them. But I am sure neither one will really dissapoint you.

SpecialBlend2786
10-20-2004, 12:17 AM
Matchsticks are great values for money IMO. they even come with a nifty case now:)

guysdaman
10-20-2004, 12:56 AM
I have used a J&J Edge kit...it got the job done, but I wasn't happy with the amount of backs mine came with. I eventually sold it and bought a Scepter which I am very happy with!