PDA

View Full Version : Laser Engraving a mag?

Deathshadow9k
10-22-2004, 01:52 AM
i've never seen any mags with laser engraving on the bodies. I've seen it on the rail, but thats a thicker chunk of metal. Is it a big :nono: cuz its made of aircraft grade aluminum or what?

Pickle
10-22-2004, 11:21 AM
I have been having a problem with this too. I want the engraving to be on top of the ULE body but apparently because of the curvature it is too difficult.

WenULiVeUdiE
10-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Contact FBM. They have done engraving on DM4 bodies and the like. They should be able to do ULE's, but not sure.

Jeffy-CanCon
10-22-2004, 02:30 PM
I've never seen it on a ULE body, but a friend of mine once had the entire text of "Green Eggs and Ham" laser-engraved on his steel-bodied Mag.

Pickle
10-22-2004, 03:06 PM
Fbm?

Ellomdian
10-22-2004, 03:07 PM
It is very possible to laser engrave a Mag - posted this question a few days ago, and asked my dad - he has a las. engraving machine at work. The curvature can be corrected by the software for most smaller designs, and if you like the distorted look, you can run the flat design right over.

No stealing my idea - Hitman Logo on the side of a black annodized frame, and inlay red engraved pinstripes. Cost - 2 days of work and a coupla beers for my dads boss.

nt2004
10-22-2004, 03:10 PM
No stealing my idea - Hitman Logo on the side of a black annodized frame, and inlay red engraved pinstripes. Cost - 2 days of work and a coupla beers for my dads boss.
oh come on. I'm required to steal that idea ;)

rpm07
10-22-2004, 03:54 PM
Fbm?

http://www.fireballmountain.com/

Army
10-22-2004, 04:05 PM
Laser engraving on the battery pack:
http://www.hunt101.com/img/067543.JPG

By FBM at the 2003 IAO.

imstoiched!
10-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Call around and ask your local jewelry stores. Most higher end establishment will have some way to do this. If it is on a flat surface, you may not need "laser" engraving but a stylus type mechanical engraver. Should also be slightly cheaper to do the mechanical method...although that may limit you to script and non-custum logos and graphics.

me AKA Laserjock

zeroack
10-22-2004, 05:22 PM
We have a local here that does laser engraving on glasses and other things that are round. She's made up a jig that turns the glass as needed. Pretty neat set up.

Here's what I'd like to put on the side of my ule mag...

http://www.hamilton.net/~tron/junk/mechwarrior.jpg

Not huge but large enough to get noticed.

I've also thougth about making a flame pattern and getting that done on some barrels too...

Zero

DiSoRdeR
10-22-2004, 05:25 PM
Never thought about laser engraving a mag before, you gave me some ideas :D

argnot
10-22-2004, 05:28 PM
Also there is an attachment that can go in the engraver that rotates the circular piece (Barrel, Inserts, mag bodies) So that the focal point of the of the laser remains the same. When you try to do a curvered piece or something that isnt flat the focal point weakens giving you the "fuzz". Its like an X. The center of the X is the best focal point and if the surface of the object you are engraving raises or falls it the beams widens. So it can be done. Have fun.

RRfireblade
10-22-2004, 11:47 PM
Have laser engraver, will travel.

Actually, no I won't but you can just it to me instead. :)

Jay.

argnot
10-23-2004, 08:05 AM
I was gonna say what kinda engraver you have that you travel with. You could make a killing going to fields and lasering stuff. We recently did some experimentation and found out that our cutter cuts ginger bread very well. Now you can make your chrostmas houses with the presicion of a laser. How sweet is that?

Thekrazeeone
10-27-2004, 03:02 PM
Hmmm... I've engraved full gun prints over the curves of DM4s, and those things have more curves then (insert hot chick name here)

Deathshadow9k
10-27-2004, 07:37 PM
coo, at least now i know i can get my two favorite mechwarrior names engraved on the sides of my phantom and ULE mag when i get the money for it, thnx guys