PDA

View Full Version : Civic or Corolla?

Derman2k
10-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Hey. My car got totalled on Tuesday, and since the other ladys insurance admitted liablity they're giving me a pretty good chunk o change. I've got it narrowed down to two cars. Either a 2001 Civic EX Coupe or a 2005 Corolla S. Which do you think?

lord1234
10-22-2004, 11:45 PM
well if price was equivalent i would say 2k5 Corollla...but i have to say i really like the 01 civics....

Derman2k
10-23-2004, 08:33 AM
Yea, I'd prefer the Civic too but the corolla is only going to be around 3000 more than the civic. And its the parents making the call so.. I'm kinda stuck with the corolla i think.

frischtr
10-23-2004, 11:17 AM
How about supporting the American economy and the American worker by purchasing an American made car from an American company...

HoboJudge
10-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Because Toyotas are more reliable.

frischtr
10-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Because Toyotas are more reliable.

That's not true... Even if they were, why would you screw your fellow Americans over the slight possibility of your American car being less reliable than the Toyota?

We Americans have a certain standard of living... You understand that denying other Americans that same standard of living will eventually come back to bite you in the ***... We see it already in this country witha all of the outsourcing of jobs...

Protect American jobs by supporting American companies... The job you save may be your own...

Derman2k
10-23-2004, 11:31 AM
How about supporting the American economy and the American worker by purchasing an American made car from an American company...

I would if I could. My parents won't buy American so I can't get an American car.

tony3
10-23-2004, 12:08 PM
Toyota no doubt. I assume the civic is used, and the corolla is new. You will get a great warrenty with the toyota, not like you'll need it though, toyota's are rock solid.

lord1234
10-23-2004, 12:29 PM
i agree taht both cars are great...

to the poster that said "buy american"
hahahahahahhahahahahh

I am pro america...just anti american cars...they suck.

HoppysMag
10-23-2004, 12:35 PM
buy a nissan.

american cars arnt that bad anymore. focus's and cavilears are damn good cars for the money. but i hate to break it to you all. but nationalism in car companys is dead.

AcemanPB
10-23-2004, 12:37 PM
Toyota no doubt. I assume the civic is used, and the corolla is new. You will get a great warrenty with the toyota, not like you'll need it though, toyota's are rock solid.

Quoted for truth. Toyotas are super reliable and great cars. My dad drives a Tacoma and my mom drives a Lexus RX300 and both cars have been great - not a single problem. And before that my dad drove a Toyota Avalon and that car would go forever. The guy we sold it to called us the other day and said the car has 275,000 miles on it and is still ticking flawlessly. Toyota just knows how to build them right. Before my mom had her Lexus we had to deal with a POS Chrysler that we bought NEW. The driver side window always messed up and the A/C broke after only having the car for 8-9 months. After that my mom got a NEW Chevorlete Venture (minivan) which worked fine until about 80,000 miles and then some of the electrical systems started getting a little flaky and the heater would randomly stop working. Needless to say, the reliability of the Lexus (which we bought used) has been a welcome change.

Now I drive a domestic made car - a Ford Mustang (2000 - V6). After riding in several of my friends Hondas and Toyotas in the same price range as my car I can tell a huge difference in fit and finish. They just feel more solid. Now from what I've been reading the Domestic auto manufactures are finally catching up but your in the market for a car right now, not a few years from now.

Don't worry about buying American or Imported, buy which ever car you think is better. I mean thats how our economy was intended to operate.

pputkowski
10-23-2004, 01:17 PM
That's not true... Even if they were, why would you screw your fellow Americans over the slight possibility of your American car being less reliable than the Toyota?

We Americans have a certain standard of living... You understand that denying other Americans that same standard of living will eventually come back to bite you in the ***... We see it already in this country witha all of the outsourcing of jobs...

Protect American jobs by supporting American companies... The job you save may be your own...

You sir, are a moron.

HoboJudge
10-23-2004, 01:40 PM

If the American companies want us to buy their car, they should make a better product. Buying a car just because it is American is stupid. It only promotes the creation of an inferior product. The consumer should not be obligated to buy a worse car when there are better available. If theres an obligation for Americans to buy American cars, then automanufacturers have an obligation to make more reliable cars then they are now.

lord1234
10-23-2004, 01:47 PM
my girlfriends sister has 6000 miles on her cavalier(its a 02 i think she doesnt drive much). She has had to spend nearly half the cars value repairing things.

the sisters husband has a 2003/4 f150. He has had so many problems with his timing chain that the car has nearly been lemoned...(he is wishing it was right about now)

I drove a 92 camry to 200k miles before it died. My gf drove a Honda civic to 109k(she totalled it yesterday). Neither of these cars required anything other than routine maintenance. EVER.

American cars are obviously a lot worse than japanese/asian cars.

Derman2k
10-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Yea, we own 4 other toyotas so I think thats why they want to stick with the toyota. I went to check both out today again and I'm definetly getting the corolla. Its pretty sweet looking too. I wish I could get the xrs corolla but thats pushing it a bit. I had a 96 Corolla and on Tuesday it got totalled because some lady pulled in front of me and stopped in my lane... 20 feet away... when it was raining. At least her insurance company admitted liablilty so its cool I guess..well not really but its better than it being my fault. I gotta help with the payments though :(

BlackWeenie
10-23-2004, 03:39 PM
i would definately go with the toyota. its 4 years newer than a used civic which i honestly dont think is a good car to begin with. as for the "buy american cars to support the economy," actually most of the asian "brand" cars are manufactured in north america... so you really arent losing jobs, because a lot of the factories are in north america.

pputkowski
10-23-2004, 03:45 PM
as for the "buy american cars to support the economy," actually most of the asian "brand" cars are manufactured in north america... so you really arent losing jobs, because a lot of the factories are in north america.

Especially toyota...why do you think they run a tundra in the nascar truck series races?

One of the qualifications is that the base truck they model it after is 100% made in america.

nastymag
10-23-2004, 03:47 PM
you know alot of american cars are not made in the US.
and those japanse cars have manufacturing plants here.
i support american labor, but only if its just as good or better then the alternative.
why should we support sub standard manufacturing.

but yea many US companys dont really manufacter in the US.

Toyotas are great cars i would corolla.
my dad bought a 2003 Tundra, it is sooo nice. nice power, very nice accerlation. and has some of the best turning radius for a truck. and nice sound system stock.

HoppysMag
10-23-2004, 04:23 PM
SERIOUSLY most "foriegn" cars are mad here in america by americans.

mcveighr
10-23-2004, 04:59 PM
Buy American, what a joke.

Get the Corrola, its a nice little car, mileage is awesome. I dunno about the "S" though, is that the one with 170hp?

Cavaliers and Sunfires are terrible.

TransMan
10-23-2004, 05:08 PM
Well most of the toyotas sold here are made here my brother-in-law works for toyota so how is buying a car from toyota gonna hurt the american worker?

PyRo
10-23-2004, 05:26 PM
Their is nothing wrong with American cars, those are just nasty rumers.

Mango
10-23-2004, 05:34 PM
2k5 Carolla

If your in the market for that kind of car check out the VW Jettas as well, much better cars in my opinion.

magmanl337
10-23-2004, 09:16 PM
Niether. 1965 Mustang Coupe. Nice ride, and the lady's love it. Buy one...like NOW.

Why haven't u bought one yet?

Lohman446
10-23-2004, 09:29 PM
This thing about American cars being inferior is not accurate... I work on these things every day, I see real world conditions not some test car sent to Consumers Report, and see them well past the couple years they consider.

This thing about American cars and foreign cars and where there built is not accurate. I would wager that there is more assembly done on some Toyotas, Mercedes (the M class in particular) and other foreign cars than say many American cars - like most of Chryslers RWD and 4WD platforms are 49% assembled down south like Mexico, as in they come itno the assembly plant as rolling chassis. Many GM and Ford cars are built in Canada - which is still American, but not the patriotic US some of you are discussing.

I personally drive Tauruses - the 94 was hit by a Chevy G van that ran a red light without slowing when it had 250K on it - teh 92 was rolled at 90+MPH when it had 120K on it - both driver's walked away, care to try that in a Civic?

HoppysMag
10-23-2004, 09:43 PM
Many GM and Ford cars are built in Canada - which is still American, but not the patriotic US some of you are discussing.

wait wait wait, did you just annex canada? lol

Lohman446
10-23-2004, 09:58 PM
American - as in North American. I'll count Canada but I dont give a flip what the government says, Mexico doesnt count.

pputkowski
10-23-2004, 10:01 PM
This thing about American cars being inferior is not accurate... I work on these things every day, I see real world conditions not some test car sent to Consumers Report, and see them well past the couple years they consider.

This thing about American cars and foreign cars and where there built is not accurate. I would wager that there is more assembly done on some Toyotas, Mercedes (the M class in particular) and other foreign cars than say many American cars - like most of Chryslers RWD and 4WD platforms are 49% assembled down south like Mexico, as in they come itno the assembly plant as rolling chassis. Many GM and Ford cars are built in Canada - which is still American, but not the patriotic US some of you are discussing.

I personally drive Tauruses - the 94 was hit by a Chevy G van that ran a red light without slowing when it had 250K on it - teh 92 was rolled at 90+MPH when it had 120K on it - both driver's walked away, care to try that in a Civic?

My friend flipped his RSX going 85 and walked out without a scratch, and the car still ran fine.

And still looked better than a taurus.

TylerDurden
10-24-2004, 12:31 AM
^-LMAO!!!! :rofl:

joez
10-24-2004, 01:28 AM

Hey, heres an idea, why dont you go educate yourself and learn where cars are really made before you spew as much crap as you just did in that post.

Toyota employes almost 200,000 AMERICAN employees. Most of the product line that is sold in the US is built in the US. Unlike your so called American car companies who all now have manufacturing plants in Canada and Mexico so they can pay their employees less *caugh* no unions *caugh*, avoid the horrendous taxes that we, the US impose on foreign made vehicles imported out side of North America, and charge more for a highly inferior product.

You say you want to protect American jobs, then go buy a product from somebody who actually employs Americans instead of outsourcing to Canada and Mexico. When you buy a foriegn automakers car that was built in the US, you are helping support the employees, the American workers. When you buy your domestic that was made in canada, you are supporting the fat cat board of directors who oursourced your precious American jobs.

If i hadnt joined the party so late this reply would have been about 2 pages long citing specifically how wrong and idiotic you really are, but i think ill just leave it at this.

nastymag
10-24-2004, 01:50 AM
OWNED!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Lohman446
10-24-2004, 06:52 AM
Toyota employes almost 200,000 AMERICAN employees. Most of the product line that is sold in the US is built in the US. Unlike your so called American car companies who all now have manufacturing plants in Canada and Mexico so they can pay their employees less *caugh* no unions *caugh*, avoid the horrendous taxes that we, the US impose on foreign made vehicles imported out side of North America, and charge more for a highly inferior product. .

Careful, most of the foreign cars are built in "right to work" states - aka no strong unions.

frischtr
10-24-2004, 04:05 PM
You say you want to protect American jobs, then go buy a product from somebody who actually employs Americans instead of outsourcing to Canada and Mexico. When you buy a foriegn automakers car that was built in the US, you are helping support the employees, the American workers. When you buy your domestic that was made in canada, you are supporting the fat cat board of directors who oursourced your precious American jobs.

That's exactly why I said purchase American made cars from American companies... All you have to do is look at the VIN and make sure it begins with a '1', and you know it's been made in America...

frischtr
10-24-2004, 04:10 PM
Toyota employes almost 200,000 AMERICAN employees. Most of the product line that is sold in the US is built in the US. Unlike your so called American car companies who all now have manufacturing plants in Canada and Mexico so they can pay their employees less *caugh* no unions *caugh*, avoid the horrendous taxes that we, the US impose on foreign made vehicles imported out side of North America, and charge more for a highly inferior product.

Just as Lohman446 said, these cars are all manufactured in southern, 'right-to-work' states, without the benefit of strong unions... Their wages are considerably lower, and the benefits packages considerably less than those of union employees... And where do you cite that American cars are of less quality? Consumer Reports? Give me a break...

frischtr
10-24-2004, 04:14 PM
I realize that I'm fighting the losing fight here, but it is unfortunate... I wish that people would just spend the few extra dollars on American made products (not just cars)... It really does make a difference, especially to the working-class citizens of this country...