PDA

View Full Version : Projection TV+XBox=Bad?

WickeDKlowN
10-24-2004, 05:07 PM
We just got a new 65" Mitsubishi HDTV the other day, and since Halo 2 is coming out soon, i'm thinking of hooking my XBox up to it. I've heard all these horror stories throughout the years of video games screwing tv's up so I'm kinda skeptical about it. it says multiple times in the book not to leave he sidebars on and that "certain video game patterns" will cause uneven aging or something. Is thee any truth to this? I should be ok if I just don't leave it paused for extended periods or time with he tv on, right?

magking1971
10-24-2004, 05:11 PM
It was true for all the older TVs.
Now it is just a myth.

Hairball
10-24-2004, 05:33 PM
Now it is just a myth.

"Older TV's" being how old?

Restola
10-24-2004, 05:35 PM
I ran the original playstation and N64 on a big projection tv when both systems first came out. Never had a problem then, never had a problem with any new models of tvs either.

personman
10-24-2004, 05:36 PM
I've never heard that before.. it sounds like bull to me.. then again I'm not an expert on TVs so I wouldn't know..

Warewolf50
10-24-2004, 05:38 PM
I've never heard that before.. it sounds like bull to me.. then again I'm not an expert on TVs so I wouldn't know..

excatly what i was gonna say

CaptaiN_JacK
10-24-2004, 05:45 PM
It's funny you should ask this, because only last week we were playing halo on my big screen mitsubishi hdtv and all of a sudden a whitish fog appeared on the screen, the best way i can describe it is this: you know when you are standing on a warp, like in blood gulch, and somebody tries to run through the warp, and your screen starts getting white? well, that's what happened, only it lasted like half an hour, then it went away. Weirdest thing ever, never happened before. The tv is only about 2 years old.

Head knight of Ni
10-24-2004, 05:50 PM
The problem is if you have one screen on for a long time on projection tv's. Like if you were to pause it for a long time you might get a "ghost image" permanently on your screen.

WickeDKlowN
10-24-2004, 08:28 PM
The problem is if you have one screen on for a long time on projection tv's. Like if you were to pause it for a long time you might get a "ghost image" permanently on your screen.
OK, cool. Thats what I thought.

I think I might get the Xbox HDTV adapter thing just for Halo 2. It's only like $20.

teufelhunden
10-24-2004, 08:31 PM
The Xbox HDTV adapter owns. I have it at home.

In Halo, it makes sniping 100x easier, you can actually see to the other end of BG :)

OysterBoy
10-24-2004, 08:37 PM

I'd imagine games like Doom3 would too; your always in that same sorta setting, gun in lower right, dark screen everywhere else, probly make a blurred ghost image.

MonsterMag
10-24-2004, 08:43 PM
your safe , go ahead the xbox wont hurt your tv ;)

:cheers:

AcemanPB
10-24-2004, 10:10 PM
OK, cool. Thats what I thought.

I think I might get the Xbox HDTV adapter thing just for Halo 2. It's only like $20.

Definetly get the HDTV adapter it makes a big differnce. And I wouldn't worry about the TV my friend has a big projection TV and we play Halo through it all the time and the TV still works fine. Although one of my friends had an older big screen and their little brother turned off the N64 as they were leaving to go on vacation but left the TV on so the words "VIDEO 1" stayed in upper right hand corner of the screen. They got back two weeks later and everytime we watch TV at his house now you don't even really notice that it still says "VIDEO 1" :)

Kevmaster
10-24-2004, 10:33 PM
Just make sure you don't leave a static image on a plazma screen TV....at Duke we learned that the hard way on three plazmas that had to be replaced (64")...it will burn the image into the screen and will make it alwaysthere

tony3
10-24-2004, 10:37 PM
Now it is just a myth.

Your sig offends me :cry:

you-> :shooting: :( <-my self esteem

Miscue
10-25-2004, 12:07 AM
Definetly get the HDTV adapter it makes a big differnce. And I wouldn't worry about the TV my friend has a big projection TV and we play Halo through it all the time and the TV still works fine. Although one of my friends had an older big screen and their little brother turned off the N64 as they were leaving to go on vacation but left the TV on so the words "VIDEO 1" stayed in upper right hand corner of the screen. They got back two weeks later and everytime we watch TV at his house now you don't even really notice that it still says "VIDEO 1" :)

Some of the new TVs (like mine, tee hee) makes the display message move around so it doesn't burn in.

I use my TV for XBox and my computer sometimes - I just make sure I don't leave static images on the TV for too long without turning it off or something.

Hexis
10-25-2004, 08:30 AM
There are mutiple types of Rear Projection TVs. The original method for all TVs was a CRT based display. Burn in is less of a problem on CRTs than it was, but can still cause issues today. If you have an LCD or DLP/DMD (or Dila/LCOS) based RP you should not have a problem with burn in.

Fred
10-25-2004, 01:01 PM
I was just gonna say I havn't had any trouble with my projection TV and my Xbox... (52" HD)

but... WHAT IS THIS XBOX HD ADAPTER????? :wow:

nt2004
10-25-2004, 03:00 PM
im not sure about projection tvs but i am pretty sure that the HD tv's that use gasses will get burn in if you have health bars or anything that stays the same for a long time. If it happens, you have to replace the gas

Hexis
10-25-2004, 03:17 PM
All CRTs can have issues with burn in. The phosphors on the screen that are excited by the electron gun get literally burnt in. Overall the screen has a limited lifespan. You are accelerating the wear by haveing bright high contrast static things in video games (like a score or health bar). You don't see this normally because most shows/programms don't have a big high contrast component on the screen through out the entire show, let alone through mutiple. There is no eay to fix a burnt in screen. There are Direct View and Rear Projection TVs based on a CRT.

Plasma TVs (the nice expensive really thin ones) can also be burnt in through a similar mechanism. I know of no way to fix those either.

There are other types of displays that are not subject to burn in. DLP is my favorite. LCD is another. They have other huge advantages over CRT (and some disadvantages).

If your RP TV is CRT based I would be very careful. It can get bad quickly on RP based on CRT. Most folks suggest not playing videogames on a CRT RP set.

personman
10-25-2004, 03:22 PM
I was just gonna say I havn't had any trouble with my projection TV and my Xbox... (52" HD)

but... WHAT IS THIS XBOX HD ADAPTER????? :wow:
http://www.xbox.com/en-us/hardware/highdefinitionavpack.htm
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/209496.asp

i_baked_cookies
10-25-2004, 05:30 PM
the high def pack for xbox rules. now that pretty much every game supports high def, they look absolutely amazing on tv. i have like a 52 inch flatscreen (not plasma), that supports highdef, and all my games look crystal clear and super sharp.

my old tv, which was about 8 years old when we got rid of it last year got messed up by my n64 and playstation. it was a about 60 inch projection (not widescreen). we had to give it a good 400 dollar repair.

atm743
10-25-2004, 07:43 PM
well for those high def tv's you should buy this! http://www.xbox.com/en-us/hardware/highdefinitionavpack.htm

buy what your need for what kind of tv you have

WickeDKlowN
10-25-2004, 07:54 PM
well for those high def tv's you should buy this! http://www.xbox.com/en-us/hardware/highdefinitionavpack.htm

buy what your need for what kind of tv you have
Already been said ;)

CasingBill
10-25-2004, 07:56 PM
The whole problem is "burn in"...no matter what causes it. If you watch the same channel for long times and it has the little disney logo or whatever in the corner, it will eventually show up on other channels. It doesn't matter what causes it. Xbox, PS2, or a channel logo....if it stays on the screen long enough, it will burn in.

WickeDKlowN
10-25-2004, 08:30 PM
Kinda OT question but it's my thread so who cares.

COuld the fact that I'm just using the normal A/V hook-ups(instead of composite) for my DVD player be the reason that movies still have the black bars. According to the manual and dvd box it's the right aspect ratio to watch it in standard mode w/o bars. Or could it be that I just have a cruddy DVD player? I've tried like 3 movies. Mabey I'm just a retard...

CasingBill
10-25-2004, 08:40 PM
no.....there are different size 16:9 dvds....mine does the same thing

gibby
10-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Some of the new TVs (like mine, tee hee) makes the display message move around so it doesn't burn in.

I use my TV for XBox and my computer sometimes - I just make sure I don't leave static images on the TV for too long without turning it off or something.
Cool...what kind of TV did you get? Not too long ago, I picked up a Sony Grand Wega 60" LCD TV!!! PURE SWEETNESS!!! :D No problems with "burn in" on my TV. But on older projection TVs(older meaning...it's something that would take 3-4 guys to move it) or plasma TVs...you risk the chance of burn in.