PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever try a quad oring in a classic valve?

MindJob
10-25-2004, 10:06 AM
Anyone ever try a quad oring in a classic valve? Will it work?

Just wondering.

insixdays777
10-25-2004, 04:10 PM
i have no clue what you mean... but I did put one of my spare level 10 backing washers (the hard white plastic one) in my on/off...between the on off top and bottom...it makes my trigger freaking short and very hard to chuff...but still heavy...darn you stock on/off...

MindJob
10-25-2004, 06:33 PM
i have no clue what you mean... but I did put one of my spare level 10 backing washers (the hard white plastic one) in my on/off...between the on off top and bottom...it makes my trigger freaking short and very hard to chuff...but still heavy...darn you stock on/off...

The Quad o-ring replaces the small on/off oring in the e-mag on off. It is supposed to decrease the amount of friction on the pin or something like that.

the electrician
10-25-2004, 09:41 PM
yes I use one in my electro-magwith a classic valve.
basically it only uses one of the inner two seals available with the quad. this makes for a smaller sealing surface and a bit less friction. it also makes for a better recharge rate. about a 2 bps difference (depending on the gun).

but, it's not reallt goig to improve the performance in a noticeable way if you are using a classic valve in a full mechanical mag. it will max out at 16 bps(14 bps when using a lvl 10) already. so unless you are pulling the trigger faster than that, it won't really help. it won't make the trigger noticeably softer either.

I recommend trying the ULT on/off if you are pretty consistent with your trigger right now. it will make a big difference in trigger pull force and top out around 11 or 12 bps.

Asym
10-25-2004, 10:05 PM
I put a ULT in a classic and the oring that came with it would stick too much so I used a quad and it now works. Don't really have a way to test recharge rate so I can't back up Electrician on this, but have read and seen his posts when he tested this in the past.

athomas
10-26-2004, 09:23 AM
The emag quad will not work with a ULT. The on-off pins are a different size at the top. I suspect an aftermarket quad o-ring the same size as the ULT top will work though. Is this what you mean?

MindJob
10-26-2004, 10:18 AM
The emag quad will not work with a ULT. The on-off pins are a different size at the top. I suspect an aftermarket quad o-ring the same size as the ULT top will work though. Is this what you mean?

No, just with the standard automag on/off top and AGD emag quad o-ring.

Asym
10-26-2004, 10:24 AM
yes, had to order a huge batch of quads from a manufacturer to test out the theory that the quad would work in a ULT. In my case I don't think my recharge rate is fast enough so the normal oring that comes with the ULT would stick and never work, only way I could get it to work was reducing the friction by using a quad oring.

My instance wasn't really what the original question was about, but wanted to back up electricians point on less friction from the quad orings. I couldn't answer the the original question since I've never tried a quad oring in the standard on/off but I nver had problems with recharge rate or the pin sticking with the standard on/off pin.

GordDesigns
10-26-2004, 11:51 AM
I have allready done this conversion to my mag.

The key to success is the use of the .712 on/off pin from an E-mag.

Since your seal surface was in the center of the o-ring and now ( with the quad ring ) it's at the bottom. You need to move your activation point down by the 1/2 the thickness of the o-ring. So the shorter on/off is the solution.

Yes it works, and the sticktion on the trigger pull is noticably lighter.

Hope this helps.

:D

the electrician
10-26-2004, 05:40 PM
oops. good point. forgot to mention the fact that I use an RT on/off with shims in it. basically the same as shortening the pin.

as far as softer goes, you probably would feel a difference if you go from the hard white o-ring to a quad. I was already using buna-n o-rings in my stock on/off and then in the RT. there is not much difference in the feel between using the normal buna-n and the quad o-rings.the main difference in feel comes from the softer material, not the fact that it's quad.

no matter what on/off you use, (as long as you use air!!) I recommend changing out the hard white o-rings with some softer buna-n o-rings. that makes a difference. the RT urethane o-rings are better than the white ones, but not as good as buna.

if you are looking for a little softer, but don't want to buy the ULT, and don't want to shrten your pin, you can try some simple buna o-rings. basically you can get them from the local harware store fairly cheap.

AGDlover
10-26-2004, 08:55 PM
when i got my lowers i was still running a classic and let me tell you one thing. a emag on/off w/ quad oring in a classic = bad news!!!!!