PDA

View Full Version : So I think I want a bike. . . .

slateman
10-25-2004, 04:43 PM
Hey guys (and girls and . . .undecideds :D )

I kow we have some guys who are into motorcycycles. Well my friend got one and I'm sort of likin the idea too. They're fun, they get great gas milage apparantly, and chicks dig them :D That and the fact that some guy gut a 205 MPH ticket riiding one :D Yea, I know, you'll poke your eye out kid :D :D

So here's what I know

They're not the safest things in the world.
I need a helmet
I want the crotch rocket :D I've actually ridden on a Harley and rode one a little (in a kind of controled, not able to destory anything except myself, environment ) It just seemed uncomfortable to me. My hands always seemed to high. Maybe its the way I ride my bicycle - always leaning forward to get more speed.

I'm gonna talk to my friend but I wanted to know any other info you can give me. Whats a good bike to start out with? Whats my insurance hike gonna be? What's maintance like

I have a car so I could ride just when I wanted to/ it won't rain.

Thanks for the info.

slade
10-25-2004, 05:00 PM
hmm, i may be interested in info on this too... im interested in motorcycles, but my dad says i cant get a permit until im 18 and have my drivers liscence (currently 16). im also interested in the crotch rocket style :D .

i_baked_cookies
10-25-2004, 05:26 PM
yea... considering crotch rockets are pretty cheap compared to cars, and they are like 40 times as fast... i was looking to get one maybe after college, or during if the big bucks roll in. if i get a car for a high school graduation present, then ill most probably save up some money to get a nice honda crotch rocket so i can kill myself before i finish college.

CaptaiN_JacK
10-25-2004, 05:50 PM
Crotch rockets are cool, but just watch out, dangerous driving behaviour generally sets in after a couple of months. I saw a guy on a crotch rocket pass a van in a 55 mph zone doing a wheelie! What a moron....

A helmet is a great thing to have, but it gets annoying really fast. You have to carry it with you into stores, it's cumbersome to carry around, etc. Just check to see what your states hemlet laws are, some states require them, some don't.

teufelhunden
10-25-2004, 06:02 PM
Starter bike: R6. Nothing really beats it, IMO. Quick, light, handles.. sexy!

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitinfo/2/mcy/5/8/yamaha_yzf-r6.aspx

CasingBill
10-25-2004, 07:06 PM
Dude.....start small on a used bike. Nothing more than a 600. You would be better served just to get some old beater bike and ride it for a year and then move up. Even a 600 is wicked fast.

BlackWeenie
10-25-2004, 07:11 PM
first and foremost, the reason for motorcycling is: chicks. secondly: to go fast. for a starters bike i would recommend any brand- 600cc. this way, you wont get nailed on insurance (here anyways, if you have anything larger than 750cc it costs more), and it'll still be hella fast.

dont listen to captain_jack... always wear a helmet. you WILL die in a crash without one, if you do wear a helmet and are involved in a collision, only the rest of your body will get mangled :). you dont have to carry it into stores with you, all bikes have helmet locks on them. also- it would just look odd if you had no helmet and were riding a crotch rocket, not to mention the incredible pain of taking bugs in the face at 140mph. ouch.

slade
10-25-2004, 07:51 PM
wait... wasnt captain jack in a fairly large car accident at one point?? youd think hed be more precautious after that... or am i thinking of someone else on ao?

ASDadam
10-25-2004, 08:54 PM
Here's the reality, if you get a crotch rocket there is a GOOOD chance you'll drop it, set it down, or find a way to lay it on its side at one point or another. So get a USED bike. Get one in good running condition, bring a friend with you who knows bikes. Second, don't get anything above 750cc's. They are incredibly fast so no need to kill yourself off the bat. Third take your time, if you get the bike spend a full day or acouple of days in the driveway learning the clutch and doing simple circles. This way you can figure out how to accelerate from a stop then later on shift into 2nd or higher gears. This will save you alot of trouble.

Insurance if you have a clean record like me is dirt cheap, i've got a 750 and its only 140 a year with raised premiums. If you're getting a bike for speed and chicks make sure you have a good life insurance policy as i'm sure you'll do some stupid tricks and show offs and we'll see you six feet under. Just be careful and smart when getting a bike, remember its not a car this thing can kill you faster than you can blink.

BlackWeenie
10-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Here's the reality, if you get a crotch rocket there is a GOOOD chance you'll drop it, set it down, or find a way to lay it on its side at one point or another. So get a USED bike. Get one in good running condition, bring a friend with you who knows bikes. Second, don't get anything above 750cc's. They are incredibly fast so no need to kill yourself off the bat. Third take your time, if you get the bike spend a full day or acouple of days in the driveway learning the clutch and doing simple circles. This way you can figure out how to accelerate from a stop then later on shift into 2nd or higher gears. This will save you alot of trouble.

Insurance if you have a clean record like me is dirt cheap, i've got a 750 and its only 140 a year with raised premiums. If you're getting a bike for speed and chicks make sure you have a good life insurance policy as i'm sure you'll do some stupid tricks and show offs and we'll see you six feet under. Just be careful and smart when getting a bike, remember its not a car this thing can kill you faster than you can blink.

agreed. except for the chicks and speed part :p

slateman
10-25-2004, 09:06 PM
THanks for the info. Definitely gonna check with my friend. When you say practice, should I maybe find an empty parking lot instead? My driveway always has like 3 cars in it :rolleyes:

Two things: I'm 21 and I don't have any tickets or accidents. And its gotta seat two people. My GF would kick my *** if I got a bike and she couldn't ride with me. Obviously I'd have to wait till I got used to it before I'd take her on but once I did . . . .:D :D :D

gc82000
10-25-2004, 09:45 PM
Ok most bikes come with two seats, so that would not be an issue. As for a specific bike I would say a R6 by Yamaha, looks nice, easy ride, handles pretty smooth, fairly cheap, and its is a Yamaha a toyota on two wheels. As for a class try to stick lower then 600cc You will still go fast, I hit 132 in a mile stretch, dont reccomend you do that.

What else you need a helmet, dont listen to anyone else get one. You would not play PB with out a mask, so dont ride without a helmet. A closed face helmet is what you should get, make sure it goes below your chin.
Second a jacket. I dont know about you but I like the usse of both arms. What about you?

Also gloves, pants and boots in that order. They are not necesary to ride but they make crashing that much softer. ;)

I myself do not have a bike but I have ridden many of my friends rides. I have rode a R6, R1, hondas CRX, and Suzukis GSR, and GXR (the king of all bikes). But I want a Ducatti 996 myself. I think there is a factory in Texas that sells them off the line.

slateman
10-25-2004, 10:00 PM
OH yea, I'm DEFINETLY getting a helmet. ANy idea how much a decent used 600cc should run me? ANd what kind of maintance is there on a bike?

steveo356
10-25-2004, 10:11 PM
I my self have 2 road legal motor cycles and a pair of dirtbikes and ill tell you right now a helmet is the most useful piece of equipment ever invented. im 16 an have riden since i was 11 and i can safly tell you i woul have mangled myself sevral tie is if werent for my helmet. one time including my dirtbike kicking otu from under me, fliping up n hiting me squarly on the top of the head i mean i was out cold for a couple hours but it could ahve been worse. my road bikes ia have a custom frame with a harly motor. and a old honda night hawk 750cc im thinking about getting rid of.

so things ull need
**HELMET** good one mine set me back 2or 300 dollars
cheapy bike to get you started my first was an 80 cc yamaha 2 stroke
other riding gear altho optional youl be realy glad youhad because road rash sux and gets infected realy easy

maintence kinda like a car gas oil TIREs(important one messes up when you got 2 ur gonna have problems) ive seen 600s and the liek for 650 750 on the side of the road

luke
10-26-2004, 08:49 AM
Want the roar of a Harley but in a diffrent package, check this out >
http://www.customchrome.com/hr3v.html

I'm going to build the Hard Core 2 here pretty soon. :cool:

slateman
10-26-2004, 09:13 AM
Thanks but I ain't got 20 grand. Unless thats Canadian ;) :D

THanks for the info, I'm meeting with my friend a little later this week. He said he might let me try out his :D :D :D

cphilip
10-26-2004, 09:39 AM
Read up:

http://www.beginnerbikes.com/

Fixion
10-26-2004, 10:06 AM
Speaking of insurance. What is the cheapest company out there? I got a quote from Geico for $450ish/year. Thats considering that I'm 18, never had any tickets, never had any accidents, had mile license for a while, and a complete newbie to bikes (although I've ridden a few times without a liscence :D). Thats for a '95ish EX 500 (Ninja).

cphilip
10-26-2004, 11:12 AM
Well as they say in the commercial. Call Progressive... Thats who I use.

Wheelman
10-26-2004, 01:58 PM
Well The last thing you gonna wanna look at is an R6 it is definatley not a beginers bike, but something like an older FZR or a Katana in 600cc would be a good start. both can be found relatively cheap parts are plentiful and the seating is forgiving enough for 2 people. They are both pretty quick bikes but there not gonna be the fastest thing out there and they are both better looking than an ex500 ninja. Just buy whay your comfortable with not what you think you look good on that's how you get yourself killed, and expect to dump it at least once.

slateman
10-26-2004, 03:24 PM
Yea, thats what Chris says (my friend with the bike) he said its kind of like when you get real comfortable on skis and then stop paying attention and suddenly wipe out. Only it hurts more and other cars can kill you. . . .

ASDadam
10-26-2004, 07:13 PM
My first and still riding bike is a 92 Katana 750. 26k miles and still running strong. It seats 2 comfortably and i can ride it for hours without a problem. Definately a good beginer bike.

BeaverEater
10-26-2004, 08:18 PM
Before you determine that you want a rocket, go to a local motorsports shop and sit on one. Many people find them uncomfortable, personally i like them better. As for insurance, I was quoted on a 2001 R6 for about 450 a year (im only 17, it will go down when im 18). I personally dont have a bike, but im getting one next spring. Also if you take a riders course, your insurance will go down a little bit.

lather
10-27-2004, 03:44 AM
Hey guys (and girls and . . .undecideds :D )

I kow we have some guys who are into motorcycycles. Well my friend got one and I'm sort of likin the idea too. They're fun, they get great gas milage apparantly, and chicks dig them :D That and the fact that some guy gut a 205 MPH ticket riiding one :D Yea, I know, you'll poke your eye out kid :D :D

So here's what I know

They're not the safest things in the world.
I need a helmet
I want the crotch rocket :D I've actually ridden on a Harley and rode one a little (in a kind of controled, not able to destory anything except myself, environment ) It just seemed uncomfortable to me. My hands always seemed to high. Maybe its the way I ride my bicycle - always leaning forward to get more speed.

I'm gonna talk to my friend but I wanted to know any other info you can give me. Whats a good bike to start out with? Whats my insurance hike gonna be? What's maintance like

I have a car so I could ride just when I wanted to/ it won't rain.

Thanks for the info.

What production bike can reach 205 mph? Dont know of any street legal bikes that can do that.

Well anyways if you dont have much experience with bikes, Id advise buying a cheaper "beater" bike until you get some riding experience. Seen lots of new riders buy a shiny new GSXR 750 or R1 only to drop it or crash. A once pristine $10,000.00 bike now looks and handles like garbage.

So get a nice used F3 or older R6, those bikes still outperform most riders abilities anyways..plus if you drop it (and you will sooner or later :) ) it wont be so painful to have a few scratches on your plastic..

Fixion
10-27-2004, 08:00 AM
What production bike can reach 205 mph? Dont know of any street legal bikes that can do that.

Well anyways if you dont have much experience with bikes, Id advise buying a cheaper "beater" bike until you get some riding experience. Seen lots of new riders buy a shiny new GSXR 750 or R1 only to drop it or crash. A once pristine $10,000.00 bike now looks and handles like garbage.

So get a nice used F3 or older R6, those bikes still outperform most riders abilities anyways..plus if you drop it (and you will sooner or later :) ) it wont be so painful to have a few scratches on your plastic..

I believe the Suzuki Hayabusa can reach those speeds. If not stock, the definatly with some tuning. Those things are the fastest production bikes I know of.

cphilip
10-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Before you determine that you want a rocket, go to a local motorsports shop and sit on one. Many people find them uncomfortable, personally i like them better. As for insurance, I was quoted on a 2001 R6 for about 450 a year (im only 17, it will go down when im 18). I personally dont have a bike, but im getting one next spring. Also if you take a riders course, your insurance will go down a little bit.

That must have been for liability only. If you finance a bike you must keep full coverage. It will be MUCH higher.

I don't find them comfortable. But I am old. I need to sit upright on a bike. And if your short the Sports bike do not allow you to put both feet on the ground.

The MSF course will not drop your insurance on a person until he is like 21. There is no deduction for it until then... but it is "a must" to take it. You really should. I highly recommend it. But most if not all Insurance companies will not give you the reduction until your 21.

In fact I say take it BEFORE you buy a bike. The bigginers course supplies bikes. It will help you make a choice better as to what bike you want. They will use things like Rebels and such to start you out. Best way to do it.

virus
10-27-2004, 10:39 AM
do take a MSF course (http://www.msf-usa.org/)
do get a helmet... myself i use a fullface for cold weather and my beanie during the summer
and yes bugs hurts... june bugs are the worst and the all taste better at midnight

do start out on a smaller used bike.... when you drop it you wont feel as bad
if leanin towards a sport bike get one of the naked varitey... replacing plastic fairings get expessive quick.... also look into frame sliders... they can help reduce damage to the fairing when you go down....

do wear boots that cover your ankles.... other then a helmet the rest depends on your confidence level and how well you want to protect yourself.... most of my other gear (gloves, jacket, chaps) i just use for warmth now....

i started out on an '82 KZ440ltd for a few months.... the next spring took the MSF course.... rode the 440 for a another month or so... put 1200m on it in uder a week and started lookin for a bigger bike that was more comfortable.... ended up with a '99 maurader still a used bike and have put 18000 on in the 1 1/2 years i've had it..... i would like to go bigger (probly to the 1600cc version of the bike) as i do ride 2up quite often.... but other then that i am quite satisfied with what i got now....

slateman
10-27-2004, 06:27 PM
Talked to my friend, he said it was cool to try his bike as long as he was there. He also said that when he took the course (like 3 or 4 years ago) there was a 8-14 month waiting list :eek:

I still want to do it, but I have no idea what my schedule looks like next week, much less next year. I'll figure it out though.

PS: I'm not 21. I'm 22 ;)

CasingBill
10-27-2004, 07:14 PM
when you're ready for some real classes.......

Kieth Code (http://www.superbikeschool.com/)

pickedlast
10-27-2004, 07:16 PM
alright... when u want a bike.. u start with a frame... such as the metal kizz frame... www.danscomp.com = good site to go find other parts.. like rims(gotta bling bling)with a cassette(if u want).. bars... grips... a headset...stem(f-it series 2).. bottom bracket... a chain... and crank arms... thats a real bike right there :headbang: dam it feels good to be gangster.. go watch props 53.. u will understand.......... who needs engines anyways..pssshh

CasingBill
10-27-2004, 07:17 PM
or this

wheelie school (http://www.ononewheel.com/)

Destructo6
10-27-2004, 07:35 PM
I believe it was a CBR600F4i a few years ago. The guy was selling the bike and equipment on eBay, along with the ticket saying, "205mpg", for some outrageous amount.

The first thing I'd say is, don't let your ego get the better of you.

Everyone knows the bike is fast, don't feel the need to prove it regularly.

Always wear a helmet, ankle-high boots, gloves, long pants, and a motorcycle jacket. If/when you crash, you'll still wish you were wearing full race leathers.

I crashed a bike at about 50mph, wearing full race leathers (on a track), and got away without any roadrash (the broken ankle is a different story). I had some good bruises, but that was was the extent of injuries from initial impact and sliding across the pavement. Leather is most definately a rider's friend.

An older Honda CBR600 (F3 most likely) should be both inexpensive and reliable. They can also be dang fast, if set up properly.

Big'n slo
10-27-2004, 08:11 PM
or this

wheelie school (http://www.ononewheel.com/)

Meet you in Orange County :D

CasingBill
10-27-2004, 08:14 PM
Meet you in Orange County :D

I was thinkin the same thing!!!