PDA

View Full Version : For all you spelling Nazis!

guysdaman
10-26-2004, 05:30 AM
The Amazing Human Mind

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty esdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas thoguht slpeling was ipmorantt!

:rofl:
:dance:

Remington
10-26-2004, 05:41 AM
Touche my good fellow! Touche indeed! :headbang:

FactsOfLife
10-26-2004, 06:34 AM
Please feel free to spell your resume like that before the next job interview...

MantisMag
10-26-2004, 09:42 AM
A. this is old. very old.
B. it only works when you have words in context. if you just misspell random words it doesn't work.
C. you have to have the right letters. so this doesn't actually apply to spelling. this only works on typos where you switch letters around and only if they're not the first or last letters.

Hasty8
10-26-2004, 10:12 AM
I wholly agree with Mantis.

Our complaints on spelling are not so much the accidental (and entirely understandable) occasional misspellings. It happens.

What most of us are outraged by (and rightly so) is when "How are you doing today?" becomes "wo hr u ding 2dy?.

This is abominable. Not just because it indicates a lazy mind and is slowly destroying the language but because it speaks to a great deal more.

People who routinely type like this demonstrate a "less-than-fresh" self image. They do not care to put forth their best, or at the very least, their bare minimum. They seem to revel in their ability to operate on a near autonoumous level.

Also, one thing to consider is that we think as we speak ergo if we speak lazy then we think lazy. This bothers me as more and more these days I keep hearing "This country is going to crap!" (typical warcry of the liberal camp but that's another thread altogether) by the very people who type and think as demonstrated in the above example.

And they wonder why?

:shooting: cable and the internet. Pick up a book written over 25 years ago and learn how language is to be used.

PyRo
10-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Pick up a book written over 25 years ago and learn how language is to be used.
Not all books over 25 years old are well written, and who is to say that no examples of good writing still exist? If you can't find it then you just arn't looking in the write (:)) places.

BlackHalo
10-26-2004, 02:07 PM
FactsOfLife - I know if any resume that passes my desk has any spelling mistakes, it goes right to the round file. They don't even get to the interview.

It just shows bad form if you don't get at least a few people to proof read it. Context errors are almost as bad...You know they just hit [F7] for the spell check and didn't make sure that the spell check was correct.

:)

ScatterPlot
10-26-2004, 02:37 PM
That thing only works with that sentence. Make up one that has words more than say 5 letters wrong, with the rearranged letters ACTUALLY rearranged, and you can't do it. Those have some letters changed up, but for the most part they are arranged so that the major parts are still intact.

Try this one:

The eeoitasrvcin of the dbuufotl ashriaclogoet cmecenmod pleceircy at the smae innastt taht the muindtage of the aorttciy recehad it's aabrrrity mmuiaxm evloetian.

Which is...

The evisceration of the doubtful arhcaeologist commenced precicely at the same instant that the magnitude of the atrocity reached it's arbitrary maximum elevation.

See?

Linkwarner
10-26-2004, 02:45 PM
that last one made my head hurt, I think I got one whole word out of it. commenced.

PyRo
10-26-2004, 03:24 PM
FactsOfLife - I know if any resume that passes my desk has any spelling mistakes, it goes right to the round file. They don't even get to the interview.

It just shows bad form if you don't get at least a few people to proof read it. Context errors are almost as bad...You know they just hit [F7] for the spell check and didn't make sure that the spell check was correct.

:)

What I want to know is how you got the job; your post is full of gramatical errors. :)

BlackHalo
10-26-2004, 03:25 PM
Strange - I recieved a mail that said someone replied to my post, but it's not here. (Edit - There it is!)

Ah well, I'll answer it anyways.

This is how I type normally. For a resume I'd expect more.

..and where are my spelling errors? (Edit - ahh, removed that bit)

(Edit - If you wouldn't mind pointing out the gramattical errors I'd appreciate it. It's how I learn :) )

Hasty8
10-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Not all books over 25 years old are well written, and who is to say that no examples of good writing still exist? If you can't find it then you just arn't looking in the write (:)) places.

Sorry. Never meant to insinuate that only older books are of the well written breed. I just tend to favor those.

I like language that is colorful and paints a rainbow of imagery.

Lesta
10-26-2004, 04:39 PM
"esdnatnrd"

I dunno what that word is.

OysterBoy
10-26-2004, 05:05 PM
Sorry. Never meant to insinuate that only older books are of the well written breed. I just tend to favor those.

I like language that is colorful and paints a rainbow of imagery.

Very well put. Any book which makes you ponder about the concept or which lays out a full picture is a damn good book. And despite the popular opinion (Such as on Family Guy ;)), I think Dean Koontz is a decent writer, atleast, in the books IVE read :)

Reccomended Books / Authors:
Stephen Kings Darktower series
HP Lovecraft (Any book)
Robert Heinlien (spelled that wrong :/)
Larry Niven (Specifically, The Ringworld books)

..wow.. way to get off topic, Alex..

flyinasian016
10-26-2004, 05:44 PM
Who is to say that no examples of good writing still exist?

Batman & the boy Wonder, Robin?

1stdeadeye
10-26-2004, 07:25 PM
Repost!

Shartley posted this a year ago! ;)