PDA

View Full Version : Next advancement

B.A.M.
10-27-2004, 07:14 PM
Here's a question that im just going to throw out there and see where it goes.
-What do you think will be the next major advancement in paintballing in general-

LittlePaintballBoy
10-27-2004, 07:16 PM
Jet-pack.

FreakBaller12
10-27-2004, 07:17 PM
people who don't wipe: date pending 3020 :rolleyes:

B.A.M.
10-27-2004, 07:18 PM
Now that would be an advancement

WenULiVeUdiE
10-27-2004, 07:21 PM
Maybe something in the realm of hopper technology. Or lower prices on everything.
I wouldnt say pnuematic triggers. They have been around since almost the beginning. It's just now that people are seeing other ways to adapt that technology( hAir, PTP frame)

But what I'd like to see more than any advancements in technology, is advancemtns in the sport itself. Stop the cheating, better refs, an international governing body of the sport.

B.A.M.
10-27-2004, 07:23 PM
I definatly agree that paintball as a sport needs to advance in not cheating and be more of a not proper sport but less um i cant think of the word

Python14
10-27-2004, 07:24 PM
It's probably gonna be in the size of guns. Companies will figure out ways to make compact systems and so forth

adt501
10-27-2004, 07:25 PM
a brand new tournament series. one that started over from ground zero. one that actually punished a team for cheating. one that did not allow full auto/ramping boards. that may never come to pass. oh, and give me a tournament series that is not owned/promoted by a manufacturer. this will never happen

automagkid24
10-27-2004, 07:34 PM
Prices for sure. Because some kids that cant get jobs arent able to aford the high end electro markers. I know because i am one of them. But im saving every penny i get towards a new gun.

B.A.M.
10-27-2004, 07:34 PM
You can get one sponsered by Microsoft because they have enuff money and computers with magical elves in them to help stop teams from cheating
But it is a good idea

personman
10-27-2004, 08:19 PM
If we knew, we wouldn't be posting here, we would be off developing the idea so we could make money off of it :p

Miscue
10-27-2004, 08:34 PM
Semi-auto, HPA, and electronic triggers I think were the biggest advancements. There's always room for innovation, but I don't think we're going to see something that changes all of paintball like these things.

Smaller, cheaper, more efficient, etc. - this is what we'll see if anything. I think that big innovations are going to happen over time in paintball, but not overnight... and I'm not referring to the markers.

BeaverEater
10-27-2004, 08:41 PM
I think the advancements are gonna be something like computers. The need to upgrade every couple of years so that they always have you buying new gear and spending more money.

Lurker27
10-27-2004, 08:47 PM
Has there been an innovation in the last 2 years? noo....

Bad_Dog
10-27-2004, 09:51 PM
Has there been an innovation in the last 2 years? noo....
...yeah, because improvements in loading systems (Halo, reloader, ect) just came out this week... *note sarcasm*

pump
10-27-2004, 10:03 PM
more things like the mQ-valvle where the noid propels the gun

Head knight of Ni
10-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Companies actually following ASTM standards. :rolleyes:

master_alexander
10-27-2004, 10:39 PM
well, the paintball industry is going up in popularity, actually at my local speedball field a group of 50 people are going from open to close, ordered 15 cases of paint, all rentals, no one else will be allowed. i would like to get into the business, a marker will come out, it is universal, you can put anything on it, it will be cheap and small, no bull stuff, everyone will be rich and happy. wanna help me? send me a pm

RtDaNiMaL
10-27-2004, 11:04 PM
i would say new pods...(from dye) that are unbrakeable (like those nalgene water bottles) with lids that dont pop open when you go to slide. That and I am sure that a larger tank size will come out like a 5500, along with new compressors. That and of course fiber glass light weight guns.

DaNiMaL :ninja:

Head knight of Ni
10-27-2004, 11:10 PM
i would say new pods...(from dye) that are unbrakeable (like those nalgene water bottles) with lids that dont pop open when you go to slide. That and I am sure that a larger tank size will come out like a 5500, along with new compressors. That and of course fiber glass light weight guns.

DaNiMaL :ninja:

There are already pods(not from DYE) that a "large" person can stand on without damage.

:dance: :ninja: oldschool style-> :)

White_Noise
10-27-2004, 11:36 PM
higher than 5000psi tanks will not be used. paintball uses scuba compressors, not a paintball specific compressor. why would someone in the paintball industry try to develop a new tank, regulator, and compressor combination, there would be no money in this.

im hoping the next major advancement is the enforcement of rules and stiff fines for those breaking these rules. following this, i hope that paintball can get a prime time slot of tv, and not at like 7am.

my $.02

--mike

pump
10-27-2004, 11:44 PM
new trigger designs that will increase how fast we can pull

force feed loader like the Qloader that will feed reguardless of gravity that hold more paint

and more cheating

VFX_Fenix
10-27-2004, 11:46 PM
Non-pneumatic paintball markers.

Dayspring
10-27-2004, 11:50 PM
The next advance will be in loader technology.

BlackWeenie
10-28-2004, 01:23 AM
I think the advancements are gonna be something like computers. The need to upgrade every couple of years so that they always have you buying new gear and spending more money.

i honestly cant see this happening. i mean what can be improved? size, weight, efficiency? sure, but this wont make old guns obsolete. they will still be capable of speed faster than pullable and fine for weight and efficiency... not much thats worth throwing thousands of dollars at to upgrade to a new gun every two years.

breg
10-28-2004, 03:43 AM
What I would like to see:
A new league complete with all new teams, rules, etc. That is just me. I would like to see a sea change that focuses more on the enjoyment of the sport as opposed to the players.

Things I think would be cool:
Some little gadget that (is not built in to the marker) figures out local humidity, wind speed, altitude, etc. that you use to size a paintball, and match it to the bore of your barrel. (Probably need to build in some calipers...) I know that are ball sizers out there, but this one would be cool with all those flashy lights. :D

What I figure is going to change:
More marketing dollars thrown into catch phrases (smaller! lighter! lower pressure! now comes in red!) Enough mud slinging to make a political convention blush, as well as nothing that really grabs my attention.

Resurrecti0n
10-28-2004, 12:04 PM
Prices in general...

rabidchihauhau
10-28-2004, 12:47 PM
a brand new tournament series. one that started over from ground zero. one that actually punished a team for cheating. one that did not allow full auto/ramping boards. that may never come to pass. oh, and give me a tournament series that is not owned/promoted by a manufacturer. this will never happen

hey - I TRIED to do that in 1997 with the GTO series and in 2000 with the USPL and PaintFest.

At the first GTO event in MD, I kicked out a team that had violated roster rules and had a pro on their team - he was literally wearing a disguise and wasn't using any of his own equipment.

At USPL, we had a penalty system that let us stop the game and assess things right then and there - no more game continuing despite some cheater's moves.

Guess what? I got no real support from the industry, no real support from the teams; we maintained strict neutrality - all of our programs were open to anyone who wanted to participate with no favoritism. In other words, if you bought into a program, you got what everyone else in that program got.

The industry doesn't want FAIRNESS. It wants to be able to manipulate events and sponsorships and teams and players; that way, the guy who can cheat the best comes out on top.

I hate to tell you this, but back in 1992 the teams had the opportunity to set the direction for the future of paintball at the first NPPL meeting. They could have set up a system that rewarded good play and was even-handed across the board. Instead, they chose a different path, one in which you change the rules to accomodate cheating, anyone with enough money can buy a rep and everyone is out for the buck instead of building a sport.

(temporary) end of rant

Mosfet
10-28-2004, 12:55 PM
1. Paintball gun control
2. Magnetic paintball accelerater canons.

side note: I think theres already a movement towards skill over paint going.
Pumps are making a comeback (Lapco Grey Ghost)

Although I'm joking about #2, I'm not so joking abut #1.

Lurker27
10-28-2004, 02:02 PM
For all intents and purposes, we're shooting paintballs as fast and accurate as we were 2 years ago...loader technology was moer or less topped out with shot queing and the HALO B, which keeps up with even the craziest fingers.

Chris42050
10-28-2004, 02:57 PM
I would like to see improvements in the paint and loaders. Develop a loader that uses paint bullets instead of paintballs.

Mosfet
10-28-2004, 03:03 PM
I was thinking of making a 6 shot paintball revolver just for kicks

Then we can start the Old West Paintball Days!

ZyperioN
10-28-2004, 04:00 PM
I hope that now that we've passed the speed and efficency revolutions, we will begin a reliablity revolution. I swear everytime i play somebody has a problem with their gun and with all the money we spend on markers these days a reliablity arms-race would be great for the sport.

BlackWeenie
10-28-2004, 05:06 PM
I would like to see improvements in the paint and loaders. Develop a loader that uses paint bullets instead of paintballs.

how the hell would that work? you think theres a lot of cheating now? if they used these no one would ever go out and tourneys would be a waste of everyones time.

Duzzy
10-28-2004, 06:04 PM
I hope that now that we've passed the speed and efficency revolutions, we will begin a reliablity revolution. I swear everytime i play somebody has a problem with their gun and with all the money we spend on markers these days a reliablity arms-race would be great for the sport.

Get a Phantom, a Mag, or a Tippmann. (preferably the Phantom)

Fred
10-28-2004, 06:15 PM
I think the insurance companies will figure out that in order to cover their own butts, they won't insure any event that has markers shooting over 1 shot per trigger pull... we'll be back to mechanical, or sealed boards like the IR3 had a few years back.

But, I think a few kids will lose eyes, or maybe even get killed, by an uber-ramping-boucing whatever marker in a tournament where rules aren't being enforced before the insurance companies realize what kind of time bomb they have in their laps.

It's gonna happen sooner or later.

---Fred

Lohman446
10-28-2004, 06:23 PM
I am so sick of the whining in this thread...

The next improvement in this game will be a solid slide from tournament to rec style play - even rec tournaments. What I mean by this is pretty sudden paintball is going to grow up in the age of its participants. Its expensive for instance.

I want to see a clubhouse, like golf courses. Where after playing for a few hours the players go relax, have a beer, a drink, etc. Paintball is going to calm down from this push towards TV to be more in the realm of what recreational golf is. It is going to become as much about comradarie (sp) as competition for 90% of the players (as if it isnt already). The industry and fields are going to learn that and the ones that do first are going to make a lot of money because of it.

WenULiVeUdiE
10-28-2004, 06:37 PM
[QUOTE=Lohman446]I want to see a clubhouse, like golf courses. Where after playing for a few hours the players go relax, have a beer, a drink, etc. QUOTE]

Honestly, the day I see beer being sold at the field is the day I stop playing.

Lohman446
10-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Honestly, the day I see beer being sold at the field is the day I stop playing.

Theres a point in there I understand. However when I get done in with a day its not uncommon for us to all go out for dinner and a few.... I normally pass on the few. But still you get the idea

Rokudon
10-28-2004, 06:57 PM
rotating mag breech that has heat sensing targetting for the barrel to find those pesky "snipers" in woodsball :D lol, that would be fun, but i agree with ZyperioN, reliability and durability would be a next step for some manufacturers, or maybe a battery that would last longer in the case of loaders and some guns. or, they could work on gun electricity efficiency. or a fully mechanical gun design that has a built in mechanical warp feed. the variants are too great, and there has been much in the development of PB technology. the only time where i think a new development would arise is by having the sport grow to the level where companies begin seeing it as a market, and they begin designing more and more thingd for the comunity. look at the auto industry, there are so many companies out there, but only certain vehicles are popular because of how well they do what they're supposed to do, and have a reputable background.

NukeGoose
10-28-2004, 07:04 PM
I imagine that guns will get smaller, and more efficient, which will allow us to use even smaller tanks and get a decent amount of shots per fill. Also, I can imagine seeing the rise of the defensively dominant teams, instead of the in-your-face 50 teams. Why? With faster guns, why send 2 bodies to the fifty where they'll likely get shot if you can lock down every lane by doubling up all of the back bunkers and dropping pod upon pod, and moving only when you have a good chance of making it?

hardr0ck68
10-28-2004, 07:05 PM
If players can evolve then maybe this....

Well if everyone were to suddenly give up their preconcieved notions of what is good and bad about a paintgun then this is what we could do NOW.

Run guns at much HIGHER pressures so you could make all the internal components smaller and more compact. This would lead to overall smaller guns with better efficiency.

Better efficiency means smaller tanks making the guns lighter and smaller overall.

Built in crono's that maintain your velocity at exactly what you set it to even when your tank starts running below your working pressure. This would mean that even though you we shooting a "high pressure" marker you would use it to the bottom of the tank. In order to do this you would have to have a fixed barrel but since everyone has to waist money on replacable barrels this thinking would have to change.

Trigger systems that would accomodate ALL of your fingers for "4 finger walking" pushing the fire power into the 30 BPS range.

Pre-load bolt systems that chamber the next round while you are firing the first elliminating ball feed lag.

Pressure feeding loaders that feed balls from anywhere into your flamethrower. OOPS we already have that, Warp Feeds....

Electronically timed millisecond on/off valves that would completely eliminate regulators. Lets see, we can take off the tank reg, then the vert reg and oh yea the LPR too. You would have to be ready to put all those manufacturers out of business.

Very high speed two shot bursts where the 2nd ball would draft close behind the first ball for greater accuracy. The first ball would disrupt the air column and leave behind a turbulent wake. The turbulence would disrupt the laminar flow that leads to vortex shedding on the 2nd ball. Disrupt the vortex and improve the accuracy.

No real gun with any state of the art firepower shoots from a clip. Clips are so 1900's. Real guns in all the worlds militaries use a belt feed from a huge magazine. We still love our cute little pods and hoppers and fashion matched pod belts so we look good when we are posing on the field. Maybe someday we will get with the program and use a backpack that could shoot a case of paint non stop. Oh yea, we have that right now too but no one wants it.

And last but not lease an electronically timed, high pressure marker without regulators could plug into a laptop, test itself and tell you exactly what's wrong with it.

This is just one possible reality, most likely not to be part of any of your futures. Have fun with your pods.

AGD

Miscue
10-28-2004, 07:21 PM
The next great paintball innovation: Aiming.

B.A.M.
10-28-2004, 08:35 PM
i would also like to see price drop and a advancement in no wipe technology for paintballs

Mosfet
10-28-2004, 08:46 PM

HAHAHA!

:shooting: :dance:

23bps! and he still can't hit the banana!

adt501
10-28-2004, 09:09 PM
the guns cant get any faster, cause they are already faster then you can pull the trigger, so fast in fact that players are using assists to shoot faster. loader technology? only people dragging around their nine volt revvies could say the loaders are too slow.

more efficient? that could (will) happen, but thats not an advancement per say. HPA was a break through in that area, and will probably be unmatched for a long time.

miscue had it right, its time for people to aim. hard to hear, but we will have to face it someday.

this sounds morbid, but the next advancement in paintball will happen after their is a major accident. a death. it will happen. maybe not a death, but someone losing an eye as a direct cause of a malfunctioning (or functioning) paintball gun. there have been so many close calls and such, statistcally its impossible for something tragic to not happen. its only a matter of time :(

when that happens, paintball can go both ways. it can could be OVER for everybody. insurance companies will now be heavily involved. people writing letters to their state represenative. when someone gets injured from a paintball gun the **** will hit the fan. paintball guns will be in danger of becoming a lethal weapon instead of a non lethal weapon.

or, it could change for the better. how it could get better is beyond me. but the way things are going, things will have to change

this is not a rant or a whine

ZyperioN
10-28-2004, 09:14 PM
Get a Phantom, a Mag, or a Tippmann. (preferably the Phantom)

Yes but I want a gun that is tough as a rock, but doesnt shoot like one ;)

BlackWeenie
10-28-2004, 10:35 PM

youd actually be surprised at how good pros are at aiming. the reason behind shooting lots is to get people into their bunkers so that the front guys can move....

Miscue
10-29-2004, 03:45 AM
youd actually be surprised at how good pros are at aiming. the reason behind shooting lots is to get people into their bunkers so that the front guys can move....

Gee, ya don't say? :D

Lohman446
10-29-2004, 06:08 AM
Let me step back and think - with the Viking proving that low pressure operation is possible - I mean 50PSI you only have to compress air 4:1 to get there we might see something really interesting.

Im thinking an on-gun compressor of some type, maybe in the stacked tubes maybe as a bottle like we have now with a compressor on it.

Scott Hudnall
10-29-2004, 06:27 AM
As we've seen in the past 10 years......regarding paintball prices....

Increased competition and production capabilities will continue to drive paint prices lower.

Insurance will have to crack down on fields/markers/etc which are not meeting ASTM requirements. That is about essential business liability, no more and no less. Certainly it's not "if" a major lawsuit will occur in relation to a related issue, but "when". There's been several significant lawsuits, obviously, which did lead to redesign of goggles and lens retaining systems (thinking specifically of the Splatterzone/Indianapolis/JT Paintball lawsuit from the mid '90's).

The biggest advantage that players will see, however, is going to be lower paint prices. Somebody tell me it costs less to produce .22 caliber ammo than paintballs?

B.A.M.
10-29-2004, 08:50 PM
idk but i was talking to a guy who played in 1988 and said it was 1 buck for 10 balls so thats 10 for a hundred and 100 for a thousand if my math is right so paint prices have gone down. Alot

JoshK
10-29-2004, 09:22 PM
i dont know if anyone said this...but I have a feeling the nitro tanks are all gonna become more like angel air, and they are gonna be a lot higher psi (think 10,000 or more) and the tanks will be smaller...hmmmm...i dont know...possibly stuff just getting cheaper :)

TDonovan
10-29-2004, 09:37 PM
More pump play. I think it's already starting to happen too... :)

With CCI's business up 300% an Grey Ghosts comming back, it has to mean at least some growth in pump paintball.

JoshK
10-29-2004, 09:43 PM
ya...when im older (and my parents let me get a second gun) i want to get a phantom or something of the like...pump looks soooo fun...and plus it will add alittle chalenge against some of my more noobish paintballin buddies...

And if anyone says paintball wont be around because some person makes a big lawsuit and the united states bans it...i got one organization for you...NRA!!! I think they would help us :D.

Now that im done with my no reason post...lets here some more predictions! :bounce:

B.A.M.
10-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Ya i also want to get a phantom with the many other thing i want to buy

teufelhunden
10-30-2004, 11:26 AM
And if anyone says paintball wont be around because some person makes a big lawsuit and the united states bans it...i got one organization for you...NRA!!! I think they would help us :D.

I don't pay my dues to the NRA so they can help out a bunch of whining paintballers.

If the government bans paintball or whatever far fetched scheme you have cooked up, it''s going to stay that way. Nobody had the balls to band together to fight someone in the industry who was manipulating the business, so why do you think they'd get together to fight the government?