Mango
10-30-2004, 03:58 PM
http://www.flat-earth.org/

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
10-30-2004, 04:19 PM
I'm not sure if this is a joke or not.

BlackWeenie
10-30-2004, 04:22 PM
"Does this fit in with the Hollow Earth theory?
Yes. Beneath the Earth, or hanging off the edges, is a land populated by either green-skinned women or Nazis.
20. Does Idaho exist
No. The existence of Idaho is a lie, fabricated by a conspiracy of cartographers, as is England (see question 10).
21. What about North Dakota?
That doesn't exist either.
22. Any other places which are believed to exist but really don't?
Yes, Australia. And then there are the cryptogeographica, places such as Kadath, Carcosa, Hobbiton, Narnia, Hy-Brasil, Hell and such whose existence has not been satisfactorily proven. "

PyRo
10-30-2004, 04:25 PM
Idaho and austraila do not exist :)

BobTheCow
10-30-2004, 04:41 PM
That "Springfield Paradox" page is funny... I live in a Springfield.

Python14
10-30-2004, 04:50 PM
The Springfield paradox pretty much gives it away.....it's the answer to the ever problematic question that plagues civilized society.

Which Springfield do the Simpsons live in?

teufelhunden
10-30-2004, 06:13 PM
Springfield, MA, IIRC.

gimp
10-31-2004, 02:01 AM
The Simpsons have to live in springfield nh. They had the episode were the old man of the mountain fell down, and there is one where they go to santas village. Matt groening has a house in NH too.

jpdgas
10-31-2004, 05:46 AM
Poorly thought out joke...as far as gravity is concerned. It's 330am so I might as well write it down.

#13. What about gravity?

Problem with inertia is that the earth would have to be continually accellerating in order for it to create the effect of gravity on its inhabitants. Acceleration by gravity is what, about 9ft/sec, so the earth would have to have a continual acceleration of 9ft/sec. multiply that by billions of years or even 6k years (depending on earth origion beliefs) and the speed would be astronomical. approx 23652000 mph gained per year. and unless there is a force driving the earth, the natural behavior of any object, even in the vacuum of space is to slow down. So if there is a propellant, where is the fuel? Fundamentally flawed.

And a turtles magnitism would have very little effect on anything on the surface that we live on considering that about 80% of everything is non-magnectic. but think how high we could jump if we learned to reverse our personal poles?
Its possible that my calculations are flawed, but i doubt it.

#20. my parents live in idaho, believe the myth!

and now, i sleep...

Brak
10-31-2004, 01:18 PM
The Simpsons have to live in springfield nh. They had the episode were the old man of the mountain fell down, and there is one where they go to santas village. Matt groening has a house in NH too.

youre both wrong, its actually Illinois. in one episode they say it. principal skinner says something about how springfield elementary has the worst grades in the state of illinois

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
10-31-2004, 01:35 PM
You are all wrong its in Oregon.

Kevmaster
10-31-2004, 01:38 PM
Poorly thought out joke...as far as gravity is concerned. It's 330am so I might as well write it down.

#13. What about gravity?

Problem with inertia is that the earth would have to be continually accellerating in order for it to create the effect of gravity on its inhabitants. Acceleration by gravity is what, about 9ft/sec, so the earth would have to have a continual acceleration of 9ft/sec. multiply that by billions of years or even 6k years (depending on earth origion beliefs) and the speed would be astronomical. approx 23652000 mph gained per year. and unless there is a force driving the earth, the natural behavior of any object, even in the vacuum of space is to slow down. So if there is a propellant, where is the fuel? Fundamentally flawed.

And a turtles magnitism would have very little effect on anything on the surface that we live on considering that about 80% of everything is non-magnectic. but think how high we could jump if we learned to reverse our personal poles?
Its possible that my calculations are flawed, but i doubt it.

#20. my parents live in idaho, believe the myth!

and now, i sleep...

thats assuming the laws of phyics we know today are actually what makes up the real tendancys of things in this world. maybe they are right...and you don't need to accelerate when you weigh 9000000 lbs to create interia :cool:

Warewolf50
10-31-2004, 01:58 PM
On the topic of which state they live in it is impossible to figure out, becasue none of the episodes really correspond. I mean in one episode they live near the ocean( the homer soul mate episode) another they live next to a lake and a bunch of corn fields( the homer starts working for the celebrities episode) soo there is really no way to tell excatly what state they like in.

btw here is a map o found of the simpsons springfield, tell me what region of the us it fits in wiht geographically.

link to full sized map http://www.csupomona.edu/~jelerma/springfield/spring_map.png

jpdgas
10-31-2004, 04:26 PM
thats assuming the laws of phyics we know today are actually what makes up the real tendancys of things in this world. maybe they are right...and you don't need to accelerate when you weigh 9000000 lbs to create interia :cool:

Since we have no other laws at this point, we either have to apply them or prove new ones.

The problem with earth inertia is that it would not create gravity. inertia is the tendancy for an object to risist change in it's state of motion. The acceleration and deceleration of the object has to work against the inertia of said object. So there must be a force to set the object in motion initially and then work against intertia to create positive or negative g's on the object.

So if the speed of the earth was static and on a linear course, then we would have no gravity. Ever feel g-forces on an airplane? same thing. When it drops and climbs you get positive and negative g's. If the earth was not accelerating it would not create the positive g's to hold us on the ground.

oldsoldier
11-01-2004, 01:00 PM
heh, I had the same Springfield theory, like 10 years ago...lol

CaliMagFan
11-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Who the hell said that the earth bound people to it through inertia?... thats the most retarted thing i have ever read (aside from this flat earth page as a whole). We are held to the surface of the earth, like water, like other animals, like mountains, by gravity. Gravity has nothing to do with mass and its relationship to force and excelleration. Althoug it DOES excellerate things at the rate of 16ft/sec^2, that is not due to the spinning motion of the eath,... I'm sure we all know, and i dont even know why i'm humoring this guy, that the spinning of the earth causes us to "weigh" less because of centrifugal force....

why am i thinking i missed something... it seems like too simple a problem was missed here..

SO, australia doesnt exist, but new zealand does?... riiiigh, where did NZ come from?... and i've been to all the places that are supposed "corners" of this guys flat-earth save the one in syberia, RU and they are no where near the edge of anything, except maybe "civilization"

oh yeah, a few weeks ago i flew from near tierra del fuego (southern tip of south america) to jakarta indonesia via the antarctic route.... we didnt hit any edges, and i'm still here to talk about....

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/flatearth.html

i get it now.. not worth arguing over... at all

-kyro

Deep Sixx
11-01-2004, 02:51 PM
youre both wrong, its actually Illinois. in one episode they say it. principal skinner says something about how springfield elementary has the worst grades in the state of illinois

Until it was moved [to Sprinfield] brick by brick. That's the next line.

sixx

Warewolf50
11-01-2004, 04:35 PM
Who the hell said that the earth bound people to it through inertia?... thats the most retarted thing i have ever read (aside from this flat earth page as a whole). We are held to the surface of the earth, like water, like other animals, like mountains, by gravity. Gravity has nothing to do with mass and its relationship to force and excelleration. Althoug it DOES excellerate things at the rate of 16ft/sec^2, that is not due to the spinning motion of the eath,... I'm sure we all know, and i dont even know why i'm humoring this guy, that the spinning of the earth causes us to "weigh" less because of centrifugal force....

why am i thinking i missed something... it seems like too simple a problem was missed here..

SO, australia doesnt exist, but new zealand does?... riiiigh, where did NZ come from?... and i've been to all the places that are supposed "corners" of this guys flat-earth save the one in syberia, RU and they are no where near the edge of anything, except maybe "civilization"

oh yeah, a few weeks ago i flew from near tierra del fuego (southern tip of south america) to jakarta indonesia via the antarctic route.... we didnt hit any edges, and i'm still here to talk about....

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/flatearth.html

i get it now.. not worth arguing over... at all

-kyro

dude it was ment to be funny not serious, you know a joke, funny haha.

CaliMagFan
11-01-2004, 08:51 PM
wolf,
if you go to that link you'll find that the page that was linked at the start of the thread MIGHT have been a joke... but sadly, there are a group of people out there that actually think this....
so, no, not funny, no joke...
-kyro

Warewolf50
11-01-2004, 09:27 PM
There is no question in my mind that tha page is a joke, point and case this one anwser in the FAQ

11. Does this fit in with the Hollow Earth theory?
Yes. Beneath the Earth, or hanging off the edges, is a land populated by either green-skinned women or Nazis.

that is a joke no way in hell it isnt, an dyes there were more anwsers like this but this was the first one i came across.

BlackWeenie
11-01-2004, 09:32 PM
wow, can you guys honestly not tell that this is a joke? its sooooooooo obvious. just read like 3 things and you'll see.