PDA

View Full Version : Help with "cool" lingo again.... Gangbusters? WHA?

atcer
11-01-2004, 02:36 AM
OK I hear this at work, on the Chapelle show, and more recetnly tonight from Jim Carrey on "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind"

what is Gangbusters

ie: workin' like gangbusters

ie: on it like gangbusters

damn.... im so not cool or agg.... I still say rad.

TheTramp
11-01-2004, 10:04 AM
OK I hear this at work, on the Chapelle show, and more recetnly tonight from Jim Carrey on "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind"

what is Gangbusters

ie: workin' like gangbusters

ie: on it like gangbusters

damn.... im so not cool or agg.... I still say rad.

That's a term that's been around forever. My mother says that and I'm 30 years old.

Gangbusters = "like crazy" or "a lot"

workin' like gangbusters = workin' like crazy

Jeffy-CanCon
11-01-2004, 10:57 AM
That's an old term, gong back to the 40's, or even the 30's, I think.

gangbusters orign (http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19990413)

thejesus
11-01-2004, 01:38 PM
I still don't know what AGG means... I fell like, old and ****.

atcer
11-01-2004, 02:41 PM
wow
i have absolutly never heard that before like two weeks ago. im 23 so one would think that i should have heard it before now if the saying is that old.....

weirdness

Bulldog
11-01-2004, 03:04 PM
I've heard my dad say that one before. Not new by any means.

slade
11-01-2004, 04:16 PM
I still don't know what AGG means... I fell like, old and ****.
it essentially means "cool." it is derived from "aggro," which means aggressive, and was first used by HK army. you can always look at jayloo for paintball terms: http://www.jayloo.com/dictionary/index.html or just www.urbandictionary.com for terms in general.

edit: oh yeah and ive never heard of "gangbusters," but then again i am 16.

SummaryJudgement
11-01-2004, 04:45 PM
Yes, it's an expression that started during the 30s and 40s when organized unions would strike, owners would hire groups of individuals to fight with the pickett lines in an attempt to drive them back to work. Here's some more precise defs:

A law enforcement officer who works to break up organized criminal groups.

Extremely successful: an experiment yielding gangbuster results; a profitable, gangbusters quarter.

With great impact, vigor, or zeal: came on like gangbusters at the start of his campaign; a career that took off like gangbusters.

oldsoldier
11-01-2004, 06:31 PM
Damn, I used to say that in HS. In the 40's ;)

doc_Zox
11-02-2004, 12:01 AM
Long before Dragnet began changing names to protect the innocent, radio’s top cop program was Gangbusters, which debuted over NBC Radio on July 20, 1935, enjoying a twenty-year run on all four major networks. The influence of Gangbusters continues to be felt even today on popular weekly television programs like America’s Most Wanted.

Two particular aspects of Gangbusters were responsible for the show being so well-remembered today; first, the program’s classic opening, which ushered in the weekly proceedings with a combination of police whistle and sirens, shuffling feet, screeching tires, gunshots and the rat-a-tat of machine guns. This loud and brash cacophony introduced the slang phrase “coming on like gangbusters” to the American lexicon. The show is also remembered for its famous “Gangbusters clues,” a gimmick that appeared at the end of each program in which a national alert for actual criminals would be broadcast, giving listeners detailed descriptions of wanted evildoers. It has been estimated that these “clues” helped nab 110 individuals in the show’s first three years—286 criminals by 1943. This advocacy of encouraging the public to act as informers and bounty hunters continues today on programs like Unsolved Mysteries and America’s Most Wanted.

http://blogs.salon.com/0003139/2004/02/02.html