PDA

View Full Version : Tools *need info.*

dj89
11-01-2004, 11:27 PM
ok i'm geting ready to get some tools. want them to last a long long time.

what kind and were should i get them plz post what you like and dislike about them

hand tools
stockets
werches
etc.

power tools
table sander
grinder
umm more to come

TransMan
11-01-2004, 11:43 PM
Go to Sears and buy all the Craftsman tools thats you need Snap-on is good too but I've found you get more use out of there lifetime warranty then craftsmans(which is a bad thing).

PyRo
11-02-2004, 12:07 AM
ok i'm geting ready to get some tools. want them to last a long long time.

what kind and were should i get them plz post what you like and dislike about them

hand tools
stockets
werches
etc.

power tools
table sander
grinder
umm more to come

Hand tools
Husky tools are decent although somtimes they make you call husky to get it warrentied. They just send it to you no questions asked without you sending in the broken one, but they send you a stanley tool as a replacement and stanley tools don't have warrenties so in some cases they only make good on it once. Although since it's basically the honor system with them you could just say you it was a husky you broke.

Craftsman is alright, on par with husky for the most part, some of their tools seem real cheaply made. I have a set of craftsman line wrenchs that just feel horrible.

SK is a step up from both of them in between the sears stuff and the tool truck stuff (although their are actually sk trucks). Sears carries their stuff now although very little of it is in the sears by me they have tons of it online. With the slight quality increase comes a nice price increase too though, and you have to mail the stuff in to get it warrentied.

Then if you have money to burn or are planning on beng a mechanic, auto body guy, or somthing like that you can go with snap on, mac, matco, or cornwell (I think I spelled that right). You will pay out your backside for tools but they are damn good. Of those brands I like mac better. As far as the warrenties on those i'm not sure, I know you can mail them in but you might be able to get it done from one of the trucks, not sure.

Power tools:
Don't buy craftsman its garbage.
Metabo makes a good grinder.
Dewalt and milwalkee are both good brands. I prefer dewalt because as stupid as it sounds I cannot stand the color on alot of milwaukees tools.
I think Porter cable makes good stuff too although alot of people are going to disagree. They actually have the most powerfull recipricating saw (sawzall) going now I believe.
Makita tends to be a bit cheaper and is ok stuff if you arn't going to use it every day.
I think bosch is actually making some decent stuff now too. I saw one of their table saws that the thing seems very well made although it's fairly new so I cannot tell you how they hold up yet. Cool collapsable stand for it too.
I've heard good things about the panisonic cordless drills, apparently their 9.6v has just as much power as the 18v dewalts.

JimmyBeam
11-02-2004, 12:46 AM
i like snap on wrenches, they are a little thinner which comes in handy for tight places. for the rest just get craftsman.

my drill gun is a Makita. works great, never had a problem.

if your looking to go cheap, look into Harbor Freight

PyRo
11-02-2004, 12:56 AM
Makita stuff is cheap.
A snap on wrench set is what around $300? I bet my gear wrenchs are thinner than your snap on wrench :)

JimmyBeam
11-02-2004, 01:10 AM
gear wrenches are nice, but about the same as Snap on. but can you get stubby gear wrenches??? or angled???

PyRo
11-02-2004, 01:26 AM
gear wrenches are nice, but about the same as Snap on. but can you get stubby gear wrenches??? or angled???
Yes and yes

JimmyBeam
11-02-2004, 01:28 AM
well, by all means then.....go with the gears

fire1811
11-02-2004, 07:35 AM
handtools i have craftsman
and for power tools i have DeWalt of Millwaukee(mostly DeWalt)

PyRo
11-02-2004, 07:46 AM
well, by all means then.....go with the gears
You forgot to mention that if your trying to break them loose and need the closed end of the wrench the gear wrench is weak in that aspect :)