PDA

View Full Version : Yay cars!

teufelhunden
11-02-2004, 09:42 AM
Due to some unforseen developments with my education [namely, I really don't like the college I'm at, and am going to transfer to somewhere close to home and commute] I need a new vehicle. I'm not sure about what vehicle, and that's where you guys come in. If I had my way, I'd buy this car with some sort of loan so I could build credit, but my old man assures me that this is not the way to go about establishing a credit line-- that I should go and get a credit card with some puny limit, and work from there.

So here's what we're looking for:

Usable back seat and decent trunk [nothing huge, but... um, usable :)]
Reliable [well, duh]
Standard
4dr
Decent audio [CD player a must]
Safe [which, in my old man's mind, excludes Toyota]

I think that about covers it. Now, for priceranges; My dad would prefer a new car with the above requirements, 20-25k. It'll be a family car til someone totals it their first day with their license [4 kids in the family, probability is high], so I guess he sees it as a long term ride.

If I had my way, though, I'd be looking for something along the lines of 6-8k. Would be my car from now til I a) killed it or b) got something new because I actually had a good job.

Preliminarily, along the new car route, my dad and I were looking at the Mazda 6 S Sport [I'd like the 6. Who knows what my dad would say engine wise] with the Bose package and 5 spd. He said to look at Subaru too, because of the standard AWD. Oh, right, this car has to be decent in the snow, we're in Jersey, and we do occassionally get decent snow. Good gas mileage, as always, is a plus. And preferably 87, not 93 [Subarus need premium, right? :-/]

Thanks fellas.

HoppysMag
11-02-2004, 11:45 AM
for 20K you can get almost any of the compacts, ( focus, cavi, neon ect) i suggest a altima 3.5 SE.

do you want import or domestic?

new ford 500

save up a little more and you can get a new BMW 325 for like 27 or a 325 XI ( awd) for 31

lord1234
11-02-2004, 11:53 AM
find my pictures of my toyota...that i totalled and walked away with out a scratch from...then tell your old man...get me a toyota...

otherwise...get a honda accord.

Lurker27
11-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Resale for BMW E36's are down. You can snag a reaaaaally nice car for under 10k.

I would NEVER buy new. Ever. It's a simple matter of money. Even if you have to fix crap, its less than taking a depreciation hit of 63% in 5 years.

magman007
11-02-2004, 01:14 PM
well your dad is on the right track with the mazda. Although i would suggest a mazda 3, which is a cooler, sportier (albiet smaller) solution. they are amazing litle cars, and despite being only front wheel drive, they handle well in all situations. Availible in a 2.3 engine, 160 hp is alot for the little car, and makes it alot of fun. trust me. grab up the hatchback, and have good amounts of space. im 6 f00t 250 pounds, and i sit comfortably in the back.

mazda has an amazing range of cars out now, and the 6 is great, but for a college student, i would grab up the 3 with the 6 cd changer, and bose package, with the 2.3 engine, and the 5 speed manual tranny. more fun than a barrel of monkeys!plus, they are quite safe

Chipper
11-02-2004, 01:51 PM
I personally like the Jettas, look nice and you can get them for a good price. But if you want domestic I would suggest a Dodge SRT-4.

i_baked_cookies
11-02-2004, 03:34 PM
the new volvo s40 starts at like 24k i think. obviously they are one of the safest and most reliable brand of cars out there. i have a 1998 s90 with 189,000 miles on it and it still runs perfectly.

edit- oh yea, if you upgrade to the premium audio on the s40, it has 12 speakers plus a subwoofer totalling 400+ watts. if you want a really nice stereo... well yea.

BobTheCow
11-02-2004, 03:54 PM
So here's what we're looking for:
Safe [which, in my old man's mind, excludes Toyota]Wha...? Feel like elaborating? :confused:

MaChu
11-02-2004, 04:47 PM
I know it doesn't fit your criteria, but....

http://www.bridesvisited.co.uk/images/Carriages/modern/1_%201959%20Pink%20Cadillac%20Convertible.jpg

teufelhunden
11-02-2004, 04:51 PM
Wha...? Feel like elaborating? :confused:

Hell if I know.

It's looking more and more like the Mazda6, as Consumer Reports loved it as well.

I do like the pink Caddy ;)

mcveighr
11-02-2004, 05:02 PM
I like the Subaru WRX.

GT
11-02-2004, 07:51 PM
Honda, everything else can kiss my ***

Mango
11-02-2004, 07:52 PM
http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/hsugh.gif

MaChu
11-02-2004, 11:56 PM