PDA

View Full Version : Should I Get An Autococker ?

Gunsmoke
11-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Hey guys what's up! I was thinking about buying an autococker (2K3). I was wondering if it is easy to time and worth my while? If u got a cocker let me know how it shoots, what's your setup, possible problems that can happen, and overall maintinence on autocockers. Post pics if u would like. Also what color do u recommend and what barrel do u recommend with ur cocker. Thanks.

Dayspring
11-03-2004, 05:25 PM
www.wgppress.com

www.air-powered.com

Cocker forums. :)

Night$tryker
11-03-2004, 08:19 PM
i think that autocokers are really good guns but they do fail you sometimes and automag don't so you choose

Gunsmoke
11-03-2004, 08:28 PM
I have an automag right now and i want to maybe buy another gun.

FallNAngel
11-03-2004, 08:45 PM
i think that autocokers are really good guns but they do fail you sometimes and automag don't so you choose

Riiight... nothing ever goes wrong with mags :rolleyes:

The only time my autococker ever failed me was when *I* did something wrong. Maintenance is generally a few drops of oil in the asa before you start the day and you're done. Once you get used to timing, it should only take a few minutes to time properly.

BeaverEater
11-03-2004, 08:54 PM
Once timed correctly autocockers are pretty good guns. I have one as a backup, and it works out pretty good.

teufelhunden
11-03-2004, 09:19 PM
'Cocker teching is simply different than teching a Spyder or an Impulse. That's why people think it's hard. It's really quite simple... timing is merely getting the lug to drop before it recocks and not having the two events too far apart or too close together.

If you are buying a 'Cocker, buy used. I can't stress that enough. The resale for 'Cockers is so terrible that for the price of a new Prostock you can get a completely upped STO-- I just sold one for that price after trying for a month to find a buyer.

Duzzy
11-03-2004, 10:38 PM
I am proud to say that I should not own a cocker. If you are horrible at teching things, than do not get one, I can work with blowbacks, but I still cannot tune my Omen, Mags it took me a while, but I think if you can learn how to time them then they are definitely worth it. Also, I highly recommend the JAM Anti-Chop bolt, it actually works. :clap:

oneworld
11-03-2004, 10:41 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=156709

just by mine ;)

ne ways yah.. i think it would be a very good rout to go.. ive had to mags...neither one compared to a cocker..altho mags are incredibley nice i would just recomend a cocker over one

player4
11-03-2004, 11:13 PM
An autococker........I have seen so many people on the sidelines trying to fix their autocockers. The things they have to fix take them long amounts of time too. But, when it works, an autococker is really nice.

An the other hand, a mag will never let you down, literally. Even when htey are not oiled at all they will always shoot. And when an automag works its awesome too.

Shoot both and see which one you like.

teufelhunden
11-03-2004, 11:18 PM
An autococker........I have seen so many people on the sidelines trying to fix their autocockers. The things they have to fix take them long amounts of time too. But, when it works, an autococker is really nice.

An the other hand, a mag will never let you down, literally. Even when htey are not oiled at all they will always shoot. And when an automag works its awesome too.

Shoot both and see which one you like.

Unfortunatley, your post is riddled with errors. The majority of 'Cocker problems lie in people screwing with the timing-- it's an easy thing to do, provided you have allen keys. However, it's also quite simple to undo; I'll admit I'm experienced, but within 5 minutes I can have a 'Cocker timed and ready to rock. Not suction timing, and not up to any special preferences, but the gun will fire and function.

As for a 'Mag never letting you down.. usually, provided ya oil it. 'Mags get good and leaky if you don't feed them their oil.

trains are bad
11-03-2004, 11:18 PM
I figured out how to time an autococker in about 5 minutes from looking at how it works. Perhaps paintballers as a group are mechanically challenged?

Cockers are nice, especially in the woods runnig co2 way better than any mag. They are really nice good markers. You just have to try them. Eblades don't appeal to me except on turtle-fastback versions.

Come to think of it, if I could have but ONE marker to do everything, it'd probably be an autococker. Guarantee me HPA avialability and I'd take my mag.

player4
11-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Unfortunatley, your post is riddled with errors. The majority of 'Cocker problems lie in people screwing with the timing-- it's an easy thing to do, provided you have allen keys. However, it's also quite simple to undo; I'll admit I'm experienced, but within 5 minutes I can have a 'Cocker timed and ready to rock. Not suction timing, and not up to any special preferences, but the gun will fire and function.

As for a 'Mag never letting you down.. usually, provided ya oil it. 'Mags get good and leaky if you don't feed them their oil.

I was actually saying the unoiled mag thing from experience, my friend (owning a mag) hardly ever oils it and his has never leaked.

The autocockers not working, that may be why they are always on the side lnes......probably is.

Hexis
11-04-2004, 12:59 AM
After playing at Paintball Sam's biggam with a cocker all day Ipicked up a used Orracle. I really like it. It's fun to tinker with. But I'm sure I'll use my EMag a lot more often.

Koosh
11-04-2004, 02:36 AM
Think of it this way...

If mags never failed, why are there so many posts in the Tech forum?

Evil1
11-04-2004, 03:08 AM
If you like to tinker with things and want to learn a whole slew of things about an autococker, then get one. When timed properly and tuned well, a cocker will shoot very good. If you are not very good at fixing guns or not very mechanically inclined, a cocker would probably become more of a burden to you. Like any gun, a cocker will fail sometimes and they need someone with good cocker knowledge to be retuned sometimes. If you are willing to learn all of the things that are neccessary to keep a cocker working good than get one, but if you are looking for a gun that can be fixed by changing an oring or other defective part in a matter of minutes with little mental effort than no, do not get a cocker. I will say that most people that I have seen with cocker problems usually caused them themselves from lack of cocker knowledge. Also, people who have shot cockers for a while or just learned everything that they needed to know about their gun can diagnose and fix their problems rather quickly. A cocker is more complicated than most guns out there. I personally am not a cocker fan but not because I think they are crappy or inferior, but just because I like guns that require little mechanical knowledge to fix or maintain. I have owned a few cockers over the years and I liked all but one of them, but I always preferred other guns over cockers.

Gunsmoke
11-04-2004, 06:21 AM
Thanks so far.

Ghetto
11-04-2004, 08:18 AM
Its been a few years since I owned a cocker. I bought a new one in 2000 so my experience is a little dated. I had no problems with my cocker. My only complaint was the composite grip frame (which I believe they have changed now). I think they are decent guns and can be reliable if you maintain them(as with any gun). I don't necessarily agree that cockers are a tinkers gun. If the gun is timed there's no reason to tinker with it. If the gun needs to be timed and you don't feel up to the task there are plenty of places that will time your gun, I've seen a few on the web that charge $15 for re-timing. Ultimately its your preference try one at a local field, if you like it, go for it.

hobbesTZ
11-04-2004, 02:35 PM
It's really a toss up. I'd like to get a 'cocker, but I'd need to put more money into a kit since I use many differant varieties of paint in several differant sizes. I don't have to worry about that with the 'mag. The 'mag is also cheaper ($100 for a used Minimag here). The 'mag just makes more sense for me, but I'd still rather have the 'cocker because I like the trigger much more, but I have to pay for it.