PDA

View Full Version : A brain in a dish flys a flight simulator ....

lopxtc
11-04-2004, 08:02 AM
Now if this isnt cool ...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/11/02/brain.dish/index.html

Aaron

Will Wood
11-04-2004, 09:20 AM
I love the internet. I get to say this:
Old News :clap: :dance: :bounce: :cheers:

Yea, but it still is pretty cool. Those are rats..

JimmyBeam
11-04-2004, 10:23 AM
just goes to show you, anything can do a pilot's job

beam
11-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Now, now. While it is pretty easy to keep an airplane straight and level at altitude. Nothing will replace a human's ability to adapt to emergency situations.

I don't think we will ever see fully computer controlled commercial flight. At least not in our lifetimes.

datapimp69
11-04-2004, 11:06 AM
Now, now. While it is pretty easy to keep an airplane straight and level at altitude. Nothing will replace a human's ability to adapt to emergency situations.

I don't think we will ever see fully computer controlled commercial flight. At least not in our lifetimes.

the point is that it isnt a computer it is a brain.

and with enuff of the same info that a human pilot has it may beable to.

but the flight thing was just a test.

JimmyBeam
11-04-2004, 08:56 PM

want to put some money on that?

PyRo
11-04-2004, 10:03 PM
What are we betting on the commercial flights or that it's easy to keep a plane level?

I don't think people would stand for not having a person flying the plane. Don't forget unions, they would put up an incredible fight. I've been told we still have coal shovlers on our diesel trains because the unions won't let them get rid of the job.

RingOfScale
11-04-2004, 10:25 PM
wait
are you telling me, that blob in a dish can think?
so hold up
a frikkin rat was flying a plane ? lol thats great ....
i wonder at what level that things thought process is going at, cause its gotta be better then a normal animal, but obviously not as complex as humans ...

vf-xx
11-04-2004, 10:56 PM
Woot! More brain disorder fixes. Yay!!

Next step: integrating that brain with DARPA's power armor...

lopxtc
11-05-2004, 07:09 AM
Man I havent seen that article for awhile ... I remember back around 1992-1993, I believe, seeing an article put-out about DARPA and a Hydraulic assist exoskeleton. Imagine the power loader from Aliens but at about 70 lbs and attached to your body. In that article they talk about a plan on the drawing boards for an all enclosing suit with a pneumatic assist, armour plates, sealed environment, etc ... at the time we were also huge Warhammer 40k fans so that really thrilled us.

Aaron

Next step: integrating that brain with DARPA's power armor...

vf-xx
11-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Well did you see the video of the powered assist gear that worked? Granted the guy was theathered in a room, but I think that was for safety purposes. Ran off of a little kerosene based generator too if I recall.

I think I've seen the report that you're talking about. Isn't that the one where they proposed an initial design that would be powered off of the turbines from a tank? The suit would be for the tank's engineer and he'd have an umbilical to the tank for power, but he should be able to LIFT the tank to repair treads and the like.

oldsoldier
11-06-2004, 01:11 PM
DARPA invented a suit...but trhe human body wasntv capable of handling the stresses. Someone posted an article here a couple of years ago about it. Basically, to fully operate the superhuman suit, you'd have to be superhuman.

vf-xx
11-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Well poo.

JimmyBeam
11-06-2004, 07:47 PM
What are we betting on the commercial flights or that it's easy to keep a plane level?

I don't think people would stand for not having a person flying the plane. Don't forget unions, they would put up an incredible fight. I've been told we still have coal shovlers on our diesel trains because the unions won't let them get rid of the job.

dude, on commercial flights, yes there is a pilot, but no he is not flying the airplane.with NAV/Comm and GPS working in conjunction with the CADC and autopilot, the plane will take off, cruise, and land by itself. actually the landings are flawless with 50 mph crosswinds. pilots are only there right now in case of emergencies. and yes in the future, there will be unmanned commercial flights being that systems will have back ups to thier backups. with the UAV technology advancing every year, its only a matter of years.