PDA

View Full Version : I'm an Eagle scout!!

BobTheCow
11-04-2004, 08:43 AM
Had my Board last night! I'm happy, I think I'm going to rip off somebody else's title now, if they don't mind. :) Any other Eagle <i>scouts</i> on AO?

taylor492
11-04-2004, 08:46 AM
???

I thought you were talking about golf... :confused:

BobTheCow
11-04-2004, 08:51 AM
*sigh* Fixed.

teufelhunden
11-04-2004, 08:54 AM
I knew what you were talking about ;)

Congrats :shooting: :cheers:

Fanatic
11-04-2004, 09:34 AM
now you can retire....or

get them back for all the cookies you sold for cheap prizes!
protest that why in every single jamboree that there are no chicks?!
ask why you and your troop have to always throw a fundraiser for ALL the events that would take place!
mmmm lets see if i can remember...
a scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obdient, cheerfull, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.

be prepared!! wooot
do a good turn daily

wow after 16 years i still got it...woooha!!
congrats fello flyer

lord1234
11-04-2004, 09:39 AM
go girl scouts!

I love your cookies...and those naughty little outfits you girls wear...

taylor492
11-04-2004, 10:38 AM
Oooh yeah. I get it.

Congrats, seriously. Thats a great acomplishment. I got my life but ran outa time.

Maksimus54
11-04-2004, 11:06 AM
Congrats, I too recently became an eagle after waiting two months for national to finally confirm it. So yeah, congrats again, I know what you had to go through

Bolter
11-04-2004, 11:37 AM
excuse my English ignorance but what is it?

fuzzynutzipper
11-04-2004, 12:16 PM
welcome to the club!... i got mine earlier this year. my ceremony was awesome too. congrats!

LittlePaintballBoy
11-04-2004, 12:28 PM
Good job!

quik
11-04-2004, 01:42 PM
Plz tie me 18 different knots and go on a 25 mile hike with me.

Good work, it'll show good on your resume(it really will).

Jeffy-CanCon
11-04-2004, 02:00 PM
excuse my English ignorance but what is it?

Bolter, it's a national certification for American Boy Scouts.

Congratulations, BobtheCow63!

phantomhitman
11-04-2004, 02:20 PM
go girl scouts!

I love your cookies...and those naughty little outfits you girls wear...

:D lmao

Python14
11-04-2004, 02:55 PM
Congrats man...Good job.

frischtr
11-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Congrats from a fellow Eagle...

gamarada717
11-04-2004, 04:24 PM
I'll have mine in about 6 months...almost got the project finished.

fire1811
11-04-2004, 05:05 PM
got mine back in 98
Congrats

personman
11-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Almost life :p I've been slacking.
I already have like 30 merit badges though and I only need 3 more eagle required ( two of which I have partials on ) So it shouldn't be too long now..

Tunaman
11-04-2004, 06:00 PM
Congratulations to all you guys. I like Scouting and admire the Organization for outstanding leadership and steadfast principles. Stay in as long as you can as you will miss these adventures later on in life for sure. I know I do... ;) :headbang:

fire1811
11-04-2004, 08:44 PM
then one thing i dont like about the direction of scouting is that is getting to far away for the basics. such as surviving in the wilderness.

gc82000
11-04-2004, 08:50 PM
Congrats. I know it is a hard acheivement to get. I had some friends trying to get this but they got kicked out when they were caught smoking. :rofl:

See smoking is bad for you.

ANGEL LCD
11-04-2004, 08:53 PM
good job i liked my scout group because we went on alot of trips like camping etc. etc but i never became an eagle scout...infact i was pretty low on the ranks but good job :clap:

BobTheCow
11-04-2004, 08:55 PM
then one thing i dont like about the direction of scouting is that is getting to far away for the basics. such as surviving in the wilderness.I know what you mean, but our troop's done a damn good job of keeping everything like that around. :clap:

fire1811
11-04-2004, 09:02 PM
thats good. I went along with the scouts this summer to summer camp, and we always go jambo style(cook are own food on a fire). we where the only troop to do this. The camp commishinar(sp) said he has been in scouts for over ten years and has NEVER cooked on a open fire, he was amazed you could do it.
it was pitiful to have this clown running a scout camp.

kids get enough of computers outside of scouting, IMO they have no place in scouting.

rant over from a old school eagle scout. :)

RenagadeOfFunk
11-04-2004, 09:32 PM
I should be an eagle scout...butthey lost 3 of my badges...

Ciz in the community/Nation/World... and damn i hated those :(

well i have 1 1/2 years till im 18 and can''t do it ;)

BobTheCow
11-04-2004, 09:37 PM
well i have 1 1/2 years till im 18 and can''t do it ;)Yeah you can. Do it.

PyRo
11-04-2004, 09:55 PM
thats good. I went along with the scouts this summer to summer camp, and we always go jambo style(cook are own food on a fire). we where the only troop to do this. The camp commishinar(sp) said he has been in scouts for over ten years and has NEVER cooked on a open fire, he was amazed you could do it.

Are you joking? Even I can cook over an open fire, the best steaks I have ever had have been cooked on a rock in a camp fire.

PyRo
11-04-2004, 09:56 PM
Yeah you can. Do it.
I'm 19 can I join and do it? :)
I wanted to when I was younger and my parents were in the worst way against the idea :(

WenULiVeUdiE
11-05-2004, 12:53 AM
I was going to go for it, but I lost interest. My dad was a Scoutmaster for a year, then he switched to Assistant Scoutmaster.

Congrats! It should really help you with college, as well as job applications.

Xyxyll
11-05-2004, 01:08 AM
Had my Board last night! I'm happy, I think I'm going to rip off somebody else's title now, if they don't mind. :) Any other Eagle <i>scouts</i> on AO?

Congratulations! It's definitely a HUGE accomplishment. I am actually having my Eagle Board of Review next Wednesday, and boy was it a struggle to make Eagle in time.

Long story short... I've been in scouting for about 10 years now. My dad is an Eagle scout and gave up on me reaching my Eagle a few years ago when I lost interest in the troop after I had reached Life. I figured "Hey, I have 4 years before I turn 18, I can do it whenever." Well, I started to get involved in a lot of school activities and very difficult classes. Well, a few weeks into the school year this year (mid to late September), an example college essay inspired me to finish my Eagle (3 merit badges and an eagle project). Now, my 18th birthday was October 17th!!! I excluded myself from AO, PBN, and school activities and completed my Eagle, with 2 days to spare. Talk about close. Okay, wasn't exactly a short story, but you get the point. I'm VERY excited and proud in myself for completing such a significant achievement!

Army
11-05-2004, 05:58 AM
I'm 19 can I join and do it? :)
I wanted to when I was younger and my parents were in the worst way against the idea :(

Nope, you can't join the Scouting level of the BSA, but..............heeeeyyyyyyyy, you were going for a dirty joke, weren't you? LOL:D

To be real....Explorers is BSA for older men and women (18+), which allows much more leniency during camping and national activities (no Pyro, not THAT much leniency). Men and women camp together (not that together you horndog) I can't imagine why your folks would be against the BSA, unless they are hardcore Liberal types and object to a private organization standing by their rules and regulations when it comes to morality issues.

So, if you are 18, you can join Explorers on your own.

BTC, I made Life before I got "too cool" for Scouts....and have regretted it ever since. I have been an Assistant Scoutmaster for various troops for 20+ years now. It gives me great satisfaction to see my knowledge passed on and used daily.

Tuna, nothing should be stopping you from volunteering in a troop. If you don't have the time to be part of the troop itself, Lordy knows a troop always needs drivers and committee members.

Be involved, be somebody, be proud of what you leave others in this life. :headbang:

PyRo
11-05-2004, 06:40 AM
My parents liberal? That's funny :)

Eagle
11-05-2004, 03:40 PM
Well of course AOs favorite bird of prey and resident submariner is an Eagle. And my kid brother TheCaveMan is one too. Good work. NOW START WORKING ON SOME PALMS YOU SLACKER! :cheers:

dre1919
11-05-2004, 04:03 PM
I'm an Eagle Scout too. Congratulations...very few people follow it through to completion.

:)

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
11-05-2004, 04:04 PM
I was an Indian Guide :ninja:

BobTheCow
11-05-2004, 04:25 PM
Good work. NOW START WORKING ON SOME PALMS YOU SLACKER! :cheers:Ahh, I wish... turned 18 in October. :( Had enough badges for a palm and a half already, too. *shrugs* That's what I get for being involved in too much other stuff, and being forced to finish everything at the last minute.

Eagle
11-05-2004, 05:15 PM
Damn, sounds like you were on the CaveMan program, although I think he managed to get a Palm just before he turned 18. I got my Eagle at 15, but stopped after getting a Palm. Too busy with school and work. Ah well, good work. What did you do for you service project?

BobTheCow
11-05-2004, 05:56 PM
Built a stage at the church where we meet, and remulched the entire area. There were already benches for an amphitheatre area, so this kind of completed the thing. Took around 150 total hours, I'm happy with how it turned out. :)

SoccerPaintball3
11-06-2004, 09:18 PM
good for you, you are a eagle

chaos lichen
11-07-2004, 02:34 PM
Congrats:)

Xyxyll
11-09-2004, 10:48 PM
That's a pretty cool project. Mine involved collecting old broken computers and fixing them into workable complete systems, where I donated them (5) to the Needs Network. The Needs Network then takes them and gives them to the elderly and teaches them how to use them.

Board of Review tomorrow... wish me luck.

BobTheCow
11-10-2004, 07:35 AM
Good luck!! I don't know about your troop, but for me it was pretty painless... dare I say, almost enjoyable? :)

markoger
11-10-2004, 09:46 AM
Congrats

I earned mine in '89

thecavemankevin
11-10-2004, 10:43 AM
congrats bro

My Grandfather, father, brother (eagle) and I are all eagles with atleast 1 palm (my dad has like 6/7). Scouting is a great organization and if/when i have a son he will be in and continue the tradition.

Too busy with school and work.

school???? haha, thats funny :rofl:

yonu
11-10-2004, 11:26 AM
class of 1997 here god it has been awhile and i miss it lol but no time with college so maybe i will find a unit and becoms a ASM next year when i have some time

FragTek
11-10-2004, 02:47 PM
BTC, I must ask... Why do u still have a PR logo in your sig? :rofl: Pie Rev. died with the last forum I made for it

Gratz on the Eagle scout! Now maybe instead of missing all of the AO VA days because your out building playgrounds for little kids you can actually be there!!!!! :clap:

White_Noise
11-10-2004, 03:27 PM
being an eagle scout is overrated.....shoulda done what i did, get as far as you need to do high adventure stuff, go to phimont twice, seabase twice, and boudry waters once. seems like in my troop, those who became eagle scouts left, and those who didnt became leaders.

BobTheCow
11-10-2004, 07:16 PM
being an eagle scout is overrated.....shoulda done what i did, get as far as you need to do high adventure stuff, go to phimont twice, seabase twice, and boudry waters once. seems like in my troop, those who became eagle scouts left, and those who didnt became leaders.Eagle is the only Scouting achievement that people outside of scouts recognize, with the possible exception of Philmont. But even there, that's "just a trip," whereas earning Eagle is an established and admired accomplishment.

Not to knock Philmont, of course!! Did that in 2001, did Tinnerman (canoe base in Canada) the year after, done Lenhok'skin (Council summer camp-run, "Philmont with trees" in Virginia) twice and several weekend Hike-o-rees... all tons of fun, and great experiences, but they just don't hold a candle to Eagle as far as recognition outside of Scouting (college applications, etc). :)

Frag - *shrugs* Talk to sneaky!! He IM'ed me the pic and told me to use it. I had to mash it in with fruitcat, but he's got a bigger one in his sig now too. As of maybe... a week or two ago? *shrugs again*

hAppy
11-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Hey I got my Eagle Scout bout half a year ago and I've been in scouts for roughly 8 years. I see you have the same title format under your name ;)

Congrats! BTW you have a very nice project, I never thought of that. MOST of the projects I seen were bench or desk related or just gardens that'd die out in 6 months.

Xyxyll
11-10-2004, 09:44 PM
As of tonight, I am officially an Eagle Scout!

I must say though, my Eagle Board of Review was the most difficult interview I've ever been involved in. Another 10 minutes and I would have died of stress. The questions were difficult, their facial expressions were negative during the ENTIRE BoR. I was terrified that they may not give it to me. And when they called me in and said they had bad news because I was over 18, I almost cried.

Oh, the bad news? I didn't get any Eagle Palms.

fire1811
11-10-2004, 09:46 PM
Congrats!!!

my board of review went the same way
thought i didnt get it but they where just jaggin with me

JoeMag
11-11-2004, 09:00 PM
cngrats on eagle scout...

i have a few words to say myself about the whole sout deal.

about scouts not stickin to the basics. i think that rally depends on the troop. i kow my trop did 60-70 mile backpacking trips every year...

the majority of the leaders in my troop were eagle scouts. there is something wrong with the trops program if ur thinking that being an eagle scout is overrated.

im not trying to flame r anything if it seems like i am. im just trying to say that all troops are different. your scout experiance is different in every troop.

fire1811
11-11-2004, 09:04 PM
exactly jomag.
troop im Assistant scout master in is still very much old style.

but i see more that are not nowadays.

its good to hear that yours is still sticking with what is good for scouting.