PDA

View Full Version : Scuba Tank Fill

minkling
11-03-2001, 12:47 PM
This works great. We have two older (2218psi)tanks, one 3000psi and a 4500 psi. The 4500psi is a German tank and is hard to find and fill. There are shops that will fill them but they are not DOT certified so you need to know the shop well. I fill mine at the Fire Department. We can fill tanks all day by using the tanks in a cascade. Then you get better pressure fills. This is a really cheap way to go when the field charges $1.00/1000psi.

n1mr0d
11-03-2001, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by minkling
This works great. We have two older (2218psi)tanks, one 3000psi and a 4500 psi. The 4500psi is a German tank and is hard to find and fill. There are shops that will fill them but they are not DOT certified so you need to know the shop well. I fill mine at the Fire Department. We can fill tanks all day by using the tanks in a cascade. Then you get better pressure fills. This is a really cheap way to go when the field charges $1.00/1000psi.

what does cascade mean? like in series or paralell?

minkling
11-03-2001, 03:38 PM
Cascading is a way to get higher pressure more often. You first use the lowest pressure tank then the next lowest and on. This way instead of making them all equal you can get higher with each subsequent tank charge. The tanks aren't actually attached to each other, you need to switch the fill valve from one to the next, unless you have a manifold which is a whole nother story and lots more expense.

Paintchucker
11-03-2001, 04:35 PM
Around here, most fields charge $2 per 1000, so I guess it is a matter of perspective. What is the proper procedure for getting the FD to let you fill your tanks there???

n1mr0d
11-03-2001, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by minkling
Cascading is a way to get higher pressure more often. You first use the lowest pressure tank then the next lowest and on. This way instead of making them all equal you can get higher with each subsequent tank charge. The tanks aren't actually attached to each other, you need to switch the fill valve from one to the next, unless you have a manifold which is a whole nother story and lots more expense.

i bet i could ghetto rig one up with a bunch of Y splitters and on/off's! :D

minkling
11-04-2001, 12:06 AM
First spend hours and hours becoming a part-time fire fighter then ask nicely. Realistically usually all you have to do is ask if it is a part-time department.