PDA

View Full Version : Switch to pump.....

Chipper
11-08-2004, 05:04 PM
Recently I have been running out of the $ when I go paintballing with my mag. I have always been wanting to switch to a pump and this seems to be a good time to do so, I also figure it would help advance me in aquiring skills...

I just have a couple of questions on pumps becuase I am not able to shoot one. People at the fields I go to a apparently either A. having no knowledge of pumps cause they are newbish like me or B to "agg" to own a pump.

Are they easy to pump? Are they easy to maintain and fix? Is it a good idea in general to switch? Should I stick to stock class?

Spaceman613
11-08-2004, 05:06 PM
get a direct feed pump, stock class is a different ball game if your used to shooting alot.

they are very easy to pump, even my heavily sprung markers are easy to pump for anyone but a 3 year old.

pump is a great fun... I love to go on the speedball field and shoot pump against the "agg" twibs.

Chipper
11-08-2004, 05:08 PM
get a direct feed pump, stock class is a different ball game if your used to shooting alot.

they are very easy to pump, even my heavily sprung markers are easy to pump for anyone but a 3 year old.

pump is a great fun... I love to go on the speedball field and shoot pump against the "agg" twibs.
That was quick.

The thing is that I am trying to train myself to shoot less (and I think the direct feeds don't look quite as good.)

Heavy sprung, does that mean that you can change the stiffness?

Spaceman613
11-08-2004, 05:14 PM
trust me, even with a hopper, you will shoot a LOT less.

and sometimes you want to be able to shoot 2 balls quickly... fire comtroll starts in your head, not in the marker :)

and yes, you can change how the stiff the pump stroke is to a point. iot depends on what gun and a few other things,

Whats one were you looking at?

SteelSoul
11-08-2004, 05:53 PM
This is a free up for this guy
If i had 100 more bucks I would buy this in a sec

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=157743

so nice looking :headbang:

Bad_Dog
11-08-2004, 06:02 PM
I'm in the same boat as you are... I just got my pump mag finished... :D

worth every penny :) (or should I say worth all the $$ I saved)

DiSoRdeR
11-08-2004, 06:08 PM
If you decide to switch to a pump, you will definitly notiece a difference while playing. If you go directly into Stock Class it can be difficult. I started with a VSC Phantom, was hard getting used to(and still getting used to 12grams) But the reward is well worth it. Have you thought about which kind you are interested in?

Muzikman
11-08-2004, 06:30 PM
If you are trying to save money, do not go stock class. 12 grams are not cheap. Stick with contant air.

B.A.M.
11-08-2004, 06:59 PM
im going to get a phantom w/ 3.5 oz cuz i want to save $$ for more tastful things.

justjoshin590
11-08-2004, 07:06 PM
i would say get a sterling
http://www.arrow-precision.com/

you can get an older one cheap on
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/

i saw a guy with one at the field the other day, it was very quiet, acurate, and had the apsolute shortest pump stroke i had ever seen, he could pump with his pinky (he really did)
the only thing is they dont have any detents, so youd need to get some custom put in if it becomes a problem (was for him)

punkncat
11-08-2004, 08:06 PM
I was the last "old time" player at my field who held out with a mech marker. I had a heck of a time holding off all the experianced players out on the field outgunning me.

I can't even imagine going onto my local field with a pump , unless I went and played with all the noobs. You defiantely have some guts. Good Luck !

DiSoRdeR
11-08-2004, 08:09 PM
If you are trying to save money, do not go stock class. 12 grams are not cheap. Stick with contant air.
Yes 12grams are kinda pricey, and you only get around 30 shots out of one. If you are trying to save money then go with a 3.5oz co2 tank.

Meph
11-08-2004, 09:08 PM
If it's easy to pump depends on the pump and how broken in it is. Or if there's any modifications to it. Your average phantom is a nelson design, but due to the return spring it's pretty stiff. Unlike a Carter which is very smooth. Mostly in part, I feel, due to the return spring. Carter has a massive one that goes around the barrel and doesn't have a lot of tension, Phantom's are as stiff as they are so that when you fire the gun you don't have to hold the pump handle forward.

That is because with many pumps if you don't hold the handle forward the bolt returns a bit and you decrease in velocity a good 10-20fps. But keep that in mind at the chronograph!

Personally I'd suggest looking into either a CCM pump or an Action Markers Illusion. The Illusion in particular because of the feedneck alone. Angel threaded so you can rock a hopper for half the day, and within a few seconds take off the feedneck, thread on the SC adapter and be right ready for 10-round tube use instead. Efficient on 12grams for a Sheridan design, though Nelson design tends to be more efficient on 12grams. But as already mentioned..... go constant air. Namely 3.5-4oz Co2 tanks. I have one, best investment I made for my pump. Save a boatload of money while saving a lot of weight compared to a regular sized tank.

Rokudon
11-08-2004, 09:56 PM
-stock class would be hard to get into if you switch from a semi.
-phantoms would be like your mag, single tube, so sighting would be similar. the main problem is you have to buy a second body for stock class and gravity feed (if you decide to switch between th 2). phaontoms need no new barrel, as they are excellent on their own (although it is advisable for detent rings, many people get rollouts) phantoms are also probably the lightest well built marker
-the AM-P Illusion has Angel threaded feedneck, so you can start out with a hopper, then later switch the feedneck out for their stock class feedtube if you want it. its a sheridan design, so it may take some time to adjust to sighting with it though. (also runs autococker threaded barrels). heavier than nelson designs due to the stacked tube deisgn.
-sheridan systems also have an easier pump/smoother pump in most cases. main problem though, is that most sheridan systems do not come with autotriggers, and most sheridan based guns USUALLY come with mediocre barrels (not the gun's fault, more the manufacturer's, palmer's excepted) and require a minor upgrade for good accuracy (just take ur mag barrels if they're cocker threaded).
-12grams are expensive, but you dont have to use 12grams if you get a stock class marker. just get the 12gram changer out and insert a 3.5 or 4 oz CO2 tank. if you plan on using your old tank, get a bottomline and run if from there, although you would have an excessive amount of air for your gun....
-hope that helps, pros and cons of both designs. in your case, i'd stick with a gravity fed Phantom, and if you want to try stock class later on get a stock class breech or make your own stick feed unless you're VERY picky with pump stroke. otherwise i would recommend the Illusion (for price and versatility between open and stock class)

Deathshadow9k
11-09-2004, 04:39 AM
hah, i just went ballin this saturday with my new phantom, lol i very cheaply have a 16 oz stubby hangin on it (heavy but effective) i played an entire day and spent only $16 including paint and co2 and field fee shizzle

magmonkey
11-09-2004, 05:38 AM
I played for a month this summer on under 30 with the vsc at a field i was helping out at

that is such a great feeling,

Thordic
11-09-2004, 09:52 AM
12g's aren't that bad.

http://www3.888paintball.com/888product.asp?plid=AIR+SYSTEM&icid=CO2&scid=&csid=149543060605785037301478685760632769555333312 26782&andor=OR&lookup=12g&code=38%2D1%2D12GR+CO2+P+100&xt=srch

$40 for 100. 100 can last you a long time depending on how much you shoot and what gun you use.

Vern1
11-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Greetings,
Rule #1: Don't get discouraged.
You will get owned the first few times.
You will get better, quicker!
If you go directly from semi to SC, you have taken the hardest road there is!
Start with a hopper and CA.
Work on your game, tactics, and above all snap shooting.
After you get snap shooting down pat, you can move on to SC if it's still your goal.
I play mostly with an Illusion with a revy for positive feed, not speed and a 47/3K tank.
I play with and against anything and don't worry about it.
I seem to win a lot more with my pump than my semi.
When you do go back to semi, it WILL BE A CAKEWALK because now you know how to shoot and not hide behind a wall of paint!

The one quick snap shot gog 'em "in the grizzle" is the GREATEST FEELING in paintball.

I sponsor a local semi team and got them into pump play.
Now, the practice with pumps against semis and then play semi in tourneys.
They are in first place in Novice in APEX and headed to SD for the weekend.
Time will tell how they do there!
GO BUNKER BOYZ BLACK in SD!!!!!

Chipper
11-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Sorry I haven't answered any questions yet, I haven't been on my computer.

I want to get a Phantom, and I wanted stock class because I'm sick of hopper hits and liked its profile and look. I also didn't mind the caplets because I would buy them in bulk and not worry about it, plus I can't find a 3.5 oz tank.

TDonovan
11-09-2004, 09:33 PM
Buy a 100 pack of 10rd tubes from 888paintball.com

I did and they sent me 100 12g's instead of the tubes, but I wasn't charged any extra cost OR shipping. Good deal!

Stock class phantoms are the way to go. Just pick up a 3.5oz or 4oz co2 tank so you won't HAVE to use 12g's. I love mine!

Tyger
11-10-2004, 01:36 AM
SC Phantom has the advantage of you CAN go direct feed, if you want to. It's a matter of changing the body out, which is VERY simple to do. And oyu can go from SC to DF between games if you so desire.

then again I've had my Phantom for... wow... 8-9 years now?

-Tyger

Muzikman
11-10-2004, 09:10 AM
Even buying 12 grams in bulk they are not all that cheap. a small tank and being able to refiill it is so much cheaper and a lot less to worry about as a player new to pumps.

Jumping from the world of semi with direct feed and large tanks to stock class can be frustrating. Every 10 balls needing to reload paint, every 25 (or so) balls needing to change a 12 gram, needing to remember to rock and cock the gun in an intense fire fight. it all adds up. This is not to discurrage you, but you will get frustrated I am sure. I have seen a lot of people try and alot of people come out of it saying they hate pumps and are going back to semi.

Mosfet
11-10-2004, 09:30 AM
Normally I like to lay covering fire. It helped that I usually had some good electros (heavily modded BKO's, Excalibur, Shocker, Timmy, etc) but recently I decided to sell off all the electros and get a mech mag.
I also picked up a use Tippmann SL68-II pump for $50.

Then to further limit my paint usage, My friend and I split one case for the whole day.
And to make things even more interesting, I decided that when I take the mag out, I'll take only the hopper and no pods!

Doing that kinda teaches you to conserve paint fairly quickly. :P

Now for the pump, I was using the Tippy with 10 round sticks (sitting vertical) and an HPA tank.
I got owned a bunch, and I don't think I got a single person out, but it was so much fun, I now have a Phantom VSC (Vertical Stock Class)! :clap:

I still have my mag (which now has a spyder ESP frame on it), but I'll be switching back and forth.
I think if you can do the hopper only trick on the semi/electros, you can take both a semi/electro and a pump out, and have loads of fun on little paint.

One of the problems with going pump is paint gets more expensive per ball when you buy paint in smaller quantities. For me it costs just as much to split a case in half (1000) with a friend, as it does to buy 500 rounds by my self.

So with that price I might as well have some semi and some pump fun! :D

of course, I did notice its much easier to mooch 10 rounds off someone in the field, then it is to bum a full pod. :P