PDA

View Full Version : Considering trading my 03 Viking for DM4 - Any thoughts/advice?

cledford
11-09-2004, 08:23 AM
Hi everyone, I'm considering trading my Viking for a DM4. The stats on the Vik are:

- Black (type 3) 03 Half-mill with Hump (new) 'noid

- Was board, wicked switch, and eyes

- JMJ eye covers

- Black (type 3 anno) matching sidewinder (I haven't seen many that match)

- Pandora board (god full-auto is awesome!)

- Full tool/LPR kit.

- Perfect shape - no scratches

As far as I know the DM4 is in perfect shape - except one scratch under the LPR. The trader wants $200 also.

I'm trying to decide if this is a good deal. Frankly, I'd love to keep the Viking forever - they're not made any more, built like tanks, and are the best markers outside of AGD. The problem is that I've gotten spoiled by light guns - my primary marker is now a ULT/ULE 'Mag with a AGD Flatline - talk about light and fast! (with set screws in the trigger I can shoot it as fast as any electro I've owned) - the whole setup doesn't feel like it weighs more then the Viking by it’s self. I've also been BORROWING an '04 Shocker recently - so it's pretty light as well. I'm no wimp, but lugging a Viking around all day can get kinda old - especially during a big game like a Pev’s last weekend. Also, I've never liked the pyramid stacked tube design of the Viking - preferring the true stack tubes like the Timmy. Astatically the Viking looks much better, but I sight down the side of the gun and functionally it throws me off. I can pretty much snap shoot exactly where I want with the mag, shocker or my old timmy - but I'm always off on the Vik.

Anyhow, I never thought I'd make a post like this, but am I going to regret this trade? Is the DM4 that much lighter? Anything I should know about? What is the air consumption like? The Viking is a gun to keep forever, if you can afford to keep buying guns, I however no longer fall into that category. My reasoning (let me know if it flawed) for the trade is that the DM4 is lighter, and equal in all other categories - so the lighter takes it.

Let me know what you think.

-Calvin

LittlePaintballBoy
11-09-2004, 08:28 AM
I really don't think you could go wrong with a DM4, they are light. fast, easy on the eyes, and easy to snap with and put ball on ball. But the efficancy won't be near that of a viking. Sorta like a 1 for 1.

adt501
11-09-2004, 09:29 AM
keep your viking

honestly, a dm4 isnt that much lighter

its a hell of a lot uglier too :tard:

and a gas hog (although evolve does have a bolt coming out for it)

both are reliable, and both have excellent customer service, so you cant go wrong with ether one, but i would personally keep the viking

Skoad
11-09-2004, 09:30 AM
Evolve kits are out now, so efficiency can be the same or better (of course they are $135).

DM4s are very very nice. It's been a few years since I've shot a viking, best bet is to try a DM4 if you can to see which one you like.

I'd do the swap as long as I know I wasn't going to get ripped off by the other guy :)

m20power
11-09-2004, 12:56 PM
I would keep the viking. The gun you have is worth around 750-800 with the tool kit. He wants an extra 200. Thats almost 1000 dollars.
With the DM5 almost out Id expect the prices on the dm4 to go down still.

As other people have said I dont think the dm4 weights that much less and you will lose a lot of efficiency.

If you really want less weight. I say get a JMJ featherlight. But those do cost a lot.

trains are bad
11-09-2004, 01:01 PM
(with set screws in the trigger I can shoot it as fast as any electro I've owned)

As fast as your viking?

Nope, I don't buy it...

LeatherPants
11-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Just do what you want.

No one can tell you what to do. Go to your local field and shoot a DM4 then decide.

There is no perfect marker. It is all what is best for you. I shoot a VIking and I'm getting a Timmy. I like both.

The DM4 is a great shooting platform. Effieciency unless you play back isn't much of an issue. You will still get 6-7 pods off a 68/4500. Unless you dump 9 pods in a game then you're fine.