PDA

View Full Version : Rebirth of my site

Arman/XPM
11-04-2001, 11:44 AM
Hello,
I decided to change the layout of my site, and finally got around to 'finishing' it. It is still in its infancy, but head on over there, and check it out.

Tell me what you think about it :)

http://xpmovement.port5.com

shartley
11-04-2001, 01:38 PM
You may want to play with it some more. It is silly to have to scroll TWO sets of scroll bars just to see ONE simple page. If you want to have a scroll box in a page, it should be totally contained within the first page without having to also scroll the master page to see the whole scroll box... to do so defeats the whole purpose of the scroll box, AND is annoying as all get out.

Arman/XPM
11-04-2001, 02:23 PM
shartley,
what resolution are you viewing it at?

PyRo
11-04-2001, 02:28 PM
Its shartly your talking about here. He is probably using 1 x 1 or something :)
I don't know if its just me but i'm getting a page not found error in the middle, where the box thingy should be. Everything else loads, and looks fine.

shartley
11-04-2001, 02:30 PM
Actually YOU should be able to tell ME that. And if you do not design it for at least the two most used resolutions, and at a minimum the top two browsers, you are missing two important things in development.

At one of the most used resolutions, you have to scroll BOTH the scroll bars to read everything in the scrolling section. Go ahead and play with it. You asked for feedback. I did not comment on looks, or content, but DID point out a problem with function. I am sure you can solve that issue yourself. :)

Have fun.... the world needs more of it.

PyRo:
No, I am not viewing it at 1X1. I am using one of the top 2 used resolutions. And that should be enough information for anyone. But on another note... I did not get any error messages either. ;)

BlackVCG
11-04-2001, 02:50 PM
Viewing it in 1280x1024 shows the ENTIRE page. Ditch the second scroll bar. It is utterly pointless since the entire front page can be viewed at this common resolution and rather annoying.

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
11-04-2001, 02:57 PM
Hey Arman, if you would ever like to exchange banners then "shout me a holla" :D . Just e-mail me @ [email protected]

|
|
|
\ /

Arman/XPM
11-04-2001, 03:13 PM
Fine with me Nitro :)

Shartley, 1024 * 768 : 800 * 600 ----

lol, I said that I wasnt finished yet, this is just in its infancy.

shartley
11-04-2001, 04:07 PM
Arman/XPM
That is why I only pointed out what I did. And BlackVCG did as well for even the higher resolutions (both are valid points). We realize you are still working on it. :)

Best to get this feedback NOW while you are still working than after it is all done.. noone was being mean, just doing what you asked us to do. ;)

And I say again.. Have fun! :D

Arman/XPM
11-04-2001, 04:14 PM
lol thnx :)
Do you like the layout and graphics?

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
11-04-2001, 04:19 PM
hey Armen I sent you my banner. I got yours. I con't put it on until my oldest brother goes back to his house b/c he kicks me off the comp like every 10 min. :D but I will have it up as soon as possible.

shartley
11-04-2001, 04:34 PM
Well, your layout is pretty classic (as it should be). What I might suggest is that you add an additional menu at the bottom of the page for those who may need to scroll down to read it all (using the standard resolutions). This is pretty standard for sites and saves them having to scroll back up to get to a working menu.

A good rule of thumb is if your content goes past your main side menu by at least the distance of the actual menu, add the bottom menu. If the site uses a menu system that goes across the top of the site (VS down the side like you have) go ahead and put a bottom menu no matter how much or how little the content.

What some folks do is make the bottom menu all text links (VS graphical). How you do it (if you choose) is totally up to you. And of course if you don't have content that would make the visitor scroll, there would be no need for the bottom menu on that particular page... however, most put it there anyway for continuity.

As for the graphics..... You don't really have much to see at this point.

Just keep checking it with BOTH Major Browsers and the most common resolutions... your visitors will thank you.

Hope this helps. :)

Arman/XPM
11-04-2001, 04:53 PM
Thank you Shartley.
Let me find some time, and I will include all...

gimp
11-04-2001, 05:44 PM
I'm viewing it at 1400 * 1050, and it looks good.

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
11-05-2001, 07:58 PM
Hey Armen, Could you post your banner? I accidently deleted the wrong e-mail :)

Arman/XPM
11-06-2001, 07:45 AM
lol...here you go...

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
11-06-2001, 07:56 AM
OK. Arman your link is up
http://geocities.com/coffey_114/links.html
:D