PDA

View Full Version : Single v Dual bore

GT
11-14-2004, 09:28 PM
i just read through some classic posts and I am at a bit of a loss. I was considering a new barrel kit, but I am not sure a two piece barrel will be as effective as a multi set of single bore barrels (like 3 cp's). Tom has an intresting post about proper paint to barrel match and at the end of the post there is an email about a test done using a two piece barrel. Should I use a dual or single bore barrel?

mobius
11-14-2004, 09:33 PM
I'm not too sure. I've been wondering that myself lately. Alot of nicer one peice barrels are stepped, meaning they are dual bore, much like a two peice barrel. The Stiffi is one example.

68magOwner
11-14-2004, 10:00 PM
i have experienced much fewer barrel breaks in a 2 bore barrel, the longer the ball is on the smaller bore thet fits, the more chance of ti breaking it seems, so, have the back that fits, so you still have a good match, then the bigger front to prevent barrel breaks, although, a single bore system would be more efficent

hardr0ck68
11-14-2004, 11:35 PM
i have done alot of readong (from tom and others), and i want a set of single bore barrels. In the step bore air pressure is excaping around the ball, so your not accelerating any more (or if you are very poorly) then you ALWAYS have about 6 inches of porting that also loves to ruin efficancy.

The ball is still dragging in the 2nd half, its not magically floting in the barrel, its bouncing around in there, so why have the 2nd half? your only loosing efficancy. my dream set is 4 all alum (stainless is not any better than alum, just heavy as hell) 10-14 inches (i would like to see what length is best with some time over a chrony first) single bore with 1 inch of poring at the end.... i bet i would see +10 - 15 fps over a 2 peice barrel kit of the same length. Nothing here comes with evidance just my oppinions and conclusions

Enemy
11-15-2004, 01:27 AM
the gas has no effect after 8 inches on the ball thats what tk said and thats what alot of fluid dynamic experts have quoted. most 2 bore designs have porting starting right at the point where the barrel steps up i feel that theres no advantage to either setup and its more about how the ball fits in the first 5-6 inches of a barrel that determines evertything!

GT
11-15-2004, 07:33 PM
I was wanting more replies. Anyone else want to weigh in? Tuna, RF, Manike, TK, Dayspring, jon, brad?

Death From Above
11-16-2004, 11:23 PM
if you use a lot of quality paint then use a single bore if you use cheap or old paint use a two stage bore

TDonovan
11-16-2004, 11:32 PM
I dunno but I'm sticking to single piece lapco's.