View Full Version : Mag Owner Vs Non Mag owners

BAMFSK
11-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Just want to see if mags are dying or not since everybody says they are

Battlewear
11-15-2004, 02:03 PM
Just want to see if mags are dying or not since everybody says they are

WOOT! First post here ;) LOL!

Any ways.. I just came back from being away from the sport for like 4 years... Yes I was shocked to see these electro's.. But the first thing I did was sell my cocker for a mag!!

Since doing so I have spoken with a lot of the stores in our area.. Yes the Mag is lacking up here... No stores actually care NEW AGD product, only used..

In our area, it appears that there are 3 of us using mags.. That is sad to see because it is such an awesome marker!!

Well hopefully after this weekend maybe another people will take interest.. I am entering into a tourney and will be rockin with my mini :)

:shooting:

Creative Mayhem
11-15-2004, 02:17 PM
I own 3 complete setups, working on the 4th and 5th setups.:D Both custom projects. :ninja:

yakitori
11-15-2004, 02:32 PM
I have nothing bad to say about mags. I have 2. I got my karta emag in the sig, and I am building a second one for a backup that will have

Warp and 12V rev
emag valve
ULT
intelliframe
classic rail and va
cp gas through.

Love mags to death.

xtremexnyc
11-15-2004, 02:32 PM
I own an Xmag. My opnion mags aren't dying out at all.

Gr0dy
11-15-2004, 02:51 PM
well that is true is some way that mags arent dieing out, but in certain areas they are, around where i play masterblasters no body really has mags, but i do , so theres a couple bad things about no body havin mags, 1. only 1-2 teams let people join with mags 2. if it breaks hardly no body can fix it, but it will never break lol so that doesnt really count

chairman_mao
11-15-2004, 02:59 PM
I think you are using poor scientific method in preparing this survey. This is an automag owners' group you will find a proportionally higher percentage of mag owners here than on other forums. Do I think mags are done? No but I think this survey will give you an inflated sense of mag ownership. That's just my input

WenULiVeUdiE
11-15-2004, 03:01 PM
Up here in the Northeast they are pretty popular. I have seen one or two just about every time I went to play. However, many stores do not carry mag products, but can most liley order them for you. I own a RTP.

BD_Paintball
11-15-2004, 03:02 PM
you know you are asking ppl from a automag forum if they own a mag. :rolleyes: if you went to another forum i bet most ppl will not own a mag. they might of owned on at one time but most wont own one now. its like gong to an imp forum and asking how many ppl own imps :tard:

GT
11-15-2004, 03:04 PM
1. only 1-2 teams let people join with mags

Hate to break it to you, its the player not the gun.

BD_Paintball
11-15-2004, 03:08 PM

then y do ppl cry about ppl using guns with ramping?

GT
11-15-2004, 03:10 PM
then y do ppl cry about ppl using guns with ramping?

Tell me how many guys DONT get picked because they have a ramping board. I would guess that 99% fo players would love a cheating machine gun on thier team. I was simpling addressing "teams" (whatever that means) not picking him up.

Gr0dy
11-15-2004, 03:13 PM
no you dont understand, they wont let you join if you dont have a certain gun, like most of the teams use timmies so they require you to have a timmy even if your the best, like my friend has a pretty nice cocker and hes pretty good and he nos this team, they wont let him join unless he has a timmy, so hes sellin his cocker to get a timmy. so sorry to break it to you :(

Dayspring
11-15-2004, 03:22 PM
Punctuation and spelling? My head hurts... :tard:

teufelhunden
11-15-2004, 03:27 PM
no you dont understand, they wont let you join if you dont have a certain gun, like most of the teams use timmies so they require you to have a timmy even if your the best, like my friend has a pretty nice cocker and hes pretty good and he nos this team, they wont let him join unless he has a timmy, so hes sellin his cocker to get a timmy. so sorry to break it to you :(

Having to shoot something because of sponsorship is a different story..

White_Noise
11-15-2004, 03:28 PM
right now, i live in madison, WI for college, but my home town is in kenosha, WI. in kenosha, there are quite a few people that use mags, on my team down there(metro) we have 4 of 6 players currently using mags on the team and i know quite a few more people that have mags as well. on the other hand, here in madison, there very few mags, and it seems as though some people have never really seen a mag upclose.(until i bunker them of course ;) ) one guy for instance was looking at my sfl, and didnt know that the foregrip was the battery pack, apparently he hasnt seen an emag before.

BD_Paintball
11-15-2004, 03:28 PM
Tell me how many guys DONT get picked because they have a ramping board. I would guess that 99% fo players would love a cheating machine gun on thier team. I was simpling addressing "teams" (whatever that means) not picking him up.
the team wont pick him up b/c he does not have the right gun. then you say its not the gun that makes the player. if it was not the gun that makes the player i think they would take him. and also why dont you have a bunch of ppl using spyders in lets say the novice devision. you will get better if you use a slow gun or a pump like i do, and then get a fast gun. it helps you aim better and the gun does have alot to do with how good you are. you can sit here and say that you will do just as good with some mech mag then you will do with a high end gun.

EDIT:
right now, i live in madison, WI for college, but my home town is in kenosha, WI. in kenosha, there are quite a few people that use mags, on my team down there(metro) we have 4 of 6 players currently using mags on the team and i know quite a few more people that have mags as well. on the other hand, here in madison, there very few mags, and it seems as though some people have never really seen a mag upclose.(until i bunker them of course ;) ) one guy for instance was looking at my sfl, and didnt know that the foregrip was the battery pack, apparently he hasnt seen an emag before.

thats b/c you are using e and x-mags. i know three of the ppl on your team both andys and nate. one nate has his x-mag and the two andys have there matrix's. but like i said befor if you dont have a reactive trigger with the x-valve on a mech mag you will not be able to keep up with the high end guns. and the gun does help a player. I was thinking of something else to say but forgot it so when i remember ill post it.

Gr0dy
11-15-2004, 03:33 PM
the team wont pick him up b/c he does not have the right gun. then you say its not the gun that makes the player. if it was not the gun that makes the player i think they would take him. and also why dont you have a bunch of ppl using spyders in lets say the novice devision. you will get better if you use a slow gun or a pump like i do, and then get a fast gun. it helps you aim better and the gun does have alot to do with how good you are. you can sit here and say that you will do just as good with some mech mag then you will do with a high end gun.
ty bd, you basicaly just took the words out of my mouth lol very good point that's wat i was tryin to explain

BAMFSK
11-15-2004, 03:39 PM
I think you are using poor scientific method in preparing this survey. This is an automag owners' group you will find a proportionally higher percentage of mag owners here than on other forums. Do I think mags are done? No but I think this survey will give you an inflated sense of mag ownership. That's just my input

Thats the idea

GT
11-15-2004, 04:39 PM
the team wont pick him up b/c he does not have the right gun.

lets bring this into reality,

You are at the field, Your captian. The choice is punk kid with a timmy who has played maybe 10 times, or _________ (insert local tourney hero) that is using a spyder.

Experience and skill trumps equipment............. every............. single........ time

The great irony is that there is a larger protion of players out there that have the latest gear that absolutly blow. Its amazing that people cant see beyond the stereotypes.

zackzel
11-15-2004, 04:42 PM
I still own a mag, And I love my X-mag, still have a minimag in the gear bag for a backup too. But I have noticed at my local field that There is only one other person using a mag as thier main gun other then me.

Fallout-
11-15-2004, 04:42 PM
Im moving form a A-5 to a R/T ULE Custome.
On a side note Kartas giveme stiffys :D

BD_Paintball
11-15-2004, 05:20 PM

You are at the field, Your captian. The choice is punk kid with a timmy who has played maybe 10 times, or _________ (insert local tourney hero) that is using a spyder.

Experience and skill trumps equipment............. every............. single........ time

The great irony is that there is a larger protion of players out there that have the latest gear that absolutly blow. Its amazing that people cant see beyond the stereotypes.

and that is why i chose novice division so you dont get some noobs who have played 10 times. yea there are rich kids with good guns who suck but they will suck even more if they had the spyder. and i dont think a kid with a spyder will be a local tourny hero :rolleyes: . and if he is you can tell the other kids in the tourny sucked ALOT

usmc8892
11-15-2004, 05:21 PM
I'm currently working on me 4th Mag setup, I'm afraid I am smitten...

SlartyBartFast
11-15-2004, 05:37 PM
Having to shoot something because of sponsorship is a different story..

And if it's not because of sponsorship, they're idiots. :tard:

Remeber a post that said the player was broke after having to buy the same gun as his teammates. What a dolt. :rolleyes:

Start your own team.

desslock
11-15-2004, 05:38 PM
My 1st gun was a 68 classic, loved it, and I still love mags. Last sunday I was at a local tourny using crappy summer paint that was provided. The temp that day was a high of 44 degrees. I watched other players with angels, matrixs, dm4, impulses etc. chop and blow paint all day long. My emag worked perfectly the only breaks I had that day where barrell breaks. The proof is in the pudding and while other dudes were shooting "paint pudding" out of $1400.00 markers my mag was placing shots on their googles!!! BECAUSE QUALITY ALWAYS SHOOTS STRAIGHT!!!

BD_Paintball
11-15-2004, 05:43 PM
My 1st gun was a 68 classic, loved it, and I still love mags. Last sunday I was at a local tourny using crappy summer paint that was provided. The temp that day was a high of 44 degrees. I watched other players with angels, matrixs, dm4, impulses etc. chop and blow paint all day long. My emag worked perfectly the only breaks I had that day where barrell breaks. The proof is in the pudding and while other dudes were shooting "paint pudding" out of $1400.00 markers my mag was placing shots on their googles!!! BECAUSE QUALITY ALWAYS SHOOTS STRAIGHT!!!

any good tourny will have fresh paint that is good quality. and most ppl that play in tournys will have a backup marker that they can use. they might of had the paint to barrel match to tight. a matrix or dm4 or timmy are very soft on the paint. the kids with the high end guns that were chopping are stupid for not going to there backup or getting a bigger bore barrel. :shooting:

ojhspyro89
11-15-2004, 05:48 PM
I m just herre cause the forums kool. Never thought of owning a mag reeally but i like this forum the most.

desslock
11-15-2004, 06:03 PM
not all tourny promoters care about if your gun is chopping paint some promoters only care about entry fees and selling cases of crap paint. I went to this tourny as a favor for my fellow team, their 3rd guy had to drop at the last minute, I knew that the weather was going to be crappy and I knew they were more than likely gonna have crappy paint. I didnt care, the $50 I spent on fees was a small price to pay to hang out with some good friends and meet some new peeps. Hate to break it to you but there are some field owners who could care less if you are having a good time, its called making a buck. And they will spend the least amount of money on their upkeep and equipment so that they can pocket more money. I have been playing p ball since 1994 and like every thing in life you run into winners and losers. My point is that even though mags are heavier, have a slower rof and dont look "cool"..... they work, they are simple to mantain and clean and if taken care of will give you many years of happy shooting. Also I think its ironic that a team that arrived with 3 guys all sporting a4 angels stashed their guns in their truck midday and rented tippman 98 with 9 ounce co2 I asked one guy what happened to his rasta angel and his response "chopping too much and I know this POS tippman wont chop in this weather" I just chuckled and walked away.

RRfireblade
11-15-2004, 06:21 PM
BACK ON TOPIC WARNING:

I do now and will always own and shoot(not exclusively, BTW) Mags.

That however, has nothing to do with the FACT that the Automag has been on the steady decline in terms of sales amd overall use for at least the last few years.There is also no evidence to suggest that outside of this Forum, it will make any kind of a noticable comeback as long as it continues on in it's current form.

IMO. ;)

desslock
11-15-2004, 07:15 PM
sorry fireblade I have a tendacy to ramble damn this ADD.

JoshK
11-15-2004, 07:25 PM
But you have to remember...since we are on a official AUTOMAG forum...the polls are going to be a little one sided compared to other places, where you would get a more diverse population of painballers...

sadly i had to vote no because i dont own one, and havnt ever. I feel so ashamed :cry: ...but i love this forum because everyone is much nicer than at other forums.

GT
11-15-2004, 07:27 PM
I do now and will always own and shoot Mags.

I am about to make the same jump. I have owned everything except a timmy or a cyborg. With the exception of an old school shocker, all of my other guns have been a complete disapointment up to and including the 1300 and 7 month wait I endured on my 04 featherlite viking.

I am so sick of going to the field and having a "minor problem' from chopping, dead batts, wild velocity issues down to the gun just not working.

The only guns I have ever owned that were worth a crap:

Eclipse shocker
Eclipse Angel
Works cocker
All of my mags

everything else has been a complete waste of my time and expense at the field

gc82000
11-15-2004, 07:54 PM
A mag was the first gun I bought in 94. I now have an Angel, and 2 Blazers, and the same mag (yep it is over ten years old.). And it still works great.

Evil1
11-16-2004, 02:51 AM
Alot of people around me own mags but they don't seem to use them much. Mags seem to be the back up gun of choice around me. Most people by me love mags. I think alot of people don't like mags because they are not hyped like other guns. People really buy into stupid marketing ploys left and right and AGD never made false claims or made their guns sound better than they were.

OmniM
11-16-2004, 10:01 AM
Alot of people around me own mags but they don't seem to use them much. Mags seem to be the back up gun of choice around me. Most people by me love mags. I think alot of people don't like mags because they are not hyped like other guns. People really buy into stupid marketing ploys left and right and AGD never made false claims or made their guns sound better than they were.

Yep... and thats one of the reasons why I went for the X ... bcoz they ARENT so damn hyped. ... and of course its the sexiest marker around :D
Also some other reasons is the simplicity and that there is NO cheater boards for it...

Oh.... did I say I have a X-Mag? :) ...

thereal_JT
11-16-2004, 10:30 AM
i used to own a few but as of right now i have none but would like to pick a few more up in the future.

JT

BAMFSK
11-16-2004, 01:03 PM

This i would agree with as my friend is a prime example

GT
11-16-2004, 01:14 PM
and if he is you can tell the other kids in the tourny sucked ALOT

from another thread:

alot of beginners have spyders, and play local tournies with them.
:)

RRfireblade
11-16-2004, 01:33 PM

I do agree with you there,but let's tweak that scenerio a little bit towards a more common situation.

Your picking teams on an average open play, walk on day and you have a chioce between two 'apparent' newbs of similar general appearance.

However:

Newb A is standing there with a plastic walmart type Semi/CO2 and a VL200

Newb B is standing there with a DM4/HPA topped w/ a Halo.

Without seeing either of them oplay, who do you pick? :ninja:

GT
11-16-2004, 01:55 PM
Without seeing either of them oplay, who do you pick? :ninja:

very true an all too common case.....

BD_Paintball
11-16-2004, 01:56 PM
you pick the dm4. he has more potential to be good if you are looking for a team. and you just said alot of kids start with spyders. this is true but if they go into a higher division then you WILL have to upgrade your gun. the fact is that the gun has something to do with how good the player will be.

edit: and how many teams have you see using spyders win a lacal tourny. i played in a novice tourny and there were kids using spyders and they got about 10 points the whole tourny b/c they managed to shoot 2 ppl in 7 games. im not saying that there are not real good players out there with cheap guns but if you hand them a high end gun they will be alot better then they were with there $100 tippy or spyder.

BAMFSK
11-17-2004, 01:29 PM
Let me ask you this if i'am standing behind a bunker with some stock sypder or even a pump and your on the other side of the field shooting your dm4 at 20bps. what good is that doing you other than letting me know where your at on the field? its not like your balls are traveling towards me at a higher velocity than mine are

White_Noise
11-17-2004, 01:37 PM
thats b/c you are using e and x-mags. i know three of the ppl on your team both andys and nate. one nate has his x-mag and the two andys have there matrix's. but like i said befor if you dont have a reactive trigger with the x-valve on a mech mag you will not be able to keep up with the high end guns. and the gun does help a player. I was thinking of something else to say but forgot it so when i remember ill post it.

i have kept up with people in tourneys with my rt that has no bounce infact out shooting people with highend electros in some cases.

one of my teammates on badger ballers plays back with a rt pro, and can keep up with our other back player with a dm4. his gun has no bounce, and is perfectly legal. it takes skill to get that fast with a mech, something most people dont do and just buy cheater boarded electros to supplement their skills, or rather lack there of.

edit: forgot to add that ive played with a rental inferno before just for fun, and was still taking out people the same as if i would have had my rt, or even my emag.

BD_Paintball
11-17-2004, 01:44 PM
i have kept up with people in tourneys with my rt that has no bounce infact out shooting people with highend electros in some cases.

one of my teammates on badger ballers plays back with a rt pro, and can keep up with our other back player with a dm4. his gun has no bounce, and is perfectly legal. it takes skill to get that fast with a mech, something most people dont do and just buy cheater boarded electros to supplement their skills, or rather lack there of.

edit: forgot to add that ive played with a rental inferno before just for fun, and was still taking out people the same as if i would have had my rt, or even my emag.

i would love to see it. i could shoot my custom mag with all the ups fast but not nearly as fast as i can shoot my imp. and the trigger pull of the mag is so heave i dont think there is a way to shoot that fast without having it reactive. the tigger pull us not that short and it weighs alot. and i also have used my pump and shot just about the same ppl when i used my imp. its just easer to shoot ppl when i have my imp

White_Noise
11-17-2004, 01:52 PM
i believe youre confusing reactivity with bounce. reactivity in the sense as a mag has it is tourney legal, as long as it doesnt bounce. bounce being shooting more than 1 shot per pull.
ive tried to see if i/ my teammate were bouncing, but we arent, and no ref can get our markers to fire like we do, its a learned skill on how to shoot, as well as doing a lil thing called exercises inorder to build strength of the fingers so that pulling the trigger is easier. as soon as i can get ahold of a digi video camera and sound analysis software we are going to be making a video of this. right now our best guess is that on long streams its possible to hit about 14-maybe 16 bps. again, this is only a guess based on comparison to shooting it next to a dm4 of known bps rate.

edit:forgot to mention, these are not one with a ult, but rather the stock on/off. may be a lighter pull on the ult, but faster speeds can be achieved with the stock on/off when fired correctly.

RRfireblade
11-17-2004, 01:57 PM
Let me ask you this if i'am standing behind a bunker with some stock sypder or even a pump and your on the other side of the field shooting your dm4 at 20bps. what good is that doing you other than letting me know where your at on the field? its not like your balls are traveling towards me at a higher velocity than mine are

And while your sitting behind that bunker laughing about the amount of paint I'm wasting,one of my front guys is about to make your aquaintance.....prison style. ;)

one of my teammates on badger ballers plays back with a rt pro, and can keep up with our other back player with a dm4

Then your guy with the DM4 should be playing a different position. As for the Mech guy,no matter how fast he is on a mechanical,assuming he's shooting a 'typical' legal mechanical marker, he would be as much as twice as fast on an Electro.

BD_Paintball
11-17-2004, 03:45 PM
Then your guy with the DM4 should be playing a different position. As for the Mech guy,no matter how fast he is on a mechanical,assuming he's shooting a 'typical' legal mechanical marker, he would be as much as twice as fast on an Electro.

thank you, some one knows whats up. and i have seen many ppl using all uped mags that can shoot fast but it has what you call bounce. i see bounce only with electric guns where the micro switch bounces and with the x-valve i have always called it being reactive. i know i will always be reactive but then if you have it set right you can find the sweet spot which i was talking about. i have had a mag with x-valve intelli frame ect and when i had it set where it would not hit the sweet spot at all it was slow. you can set it where you can twitch it but it would still hit the sweet sopt at some time if you are shooting fast. then you can twitch it and shoot it but it would not hit the sweet spot b/c i had it tuned correctly and it was slow. if you can make that vid 1st show that it was not bouncing, and really try as hard as you can to make it bounce. if you get the vid and pull the trigger a few times and it didnt go crazy then shoot it and shoots really fast i will still have to say it was bouncing.