PDA

View Full Version : RT owners-speak out

Dave
11-04-2001, 06:08 PM
As it turns out, I think I am going to stay mechanical, so no EMAGs for now. besides, I like the clean look of my mag. Anyway, I have been thinking of upgrading to an RT valve for the mag.

For all of you who own the RT, or use one and have maybe used a stock 68 mag valve, I want your opinions on the RT valve, why it is better or worse. I want your honest opinion of it. What are it's strengths? What are it's weaknesses? How does it have an edge over the stock mag valve? Would this be a good thing for my automag? I heard one guy say that his RT is rather inconsistent. Perhaps if someone from AGD want to jump in, go for it. Thanks for helping out.

I also heard something about a 'runaway' mode on this...if someone could elaborate and explain how it is achieved and possibly controlled.

Thanks,

-Dave

Slapp
11-05-2001, 04:45 PM
I have one of the original RT's and they function the same as the Retro valves but are sized a bit differently. I've also shot several regular valve mags and allowed several regular mag owners shoot my RT and comment on it.

RT's improve consistancy and are subject to less shoot down in a rapid fire situation due to a faster recharge rate. Short of some mechanical difficulty with the RT valve (unlikely), it is likely anyone experiencing inconsistancies is doing so due to bad paint to barrel match or their air system rather than with their RT valve. With your regular mag valve you have the option of using CO2 even if not the propellent of choice. With an RT you will have to go strictly nitro.

The main difference is the trigger reacts on an RT meaning that after you depress the trigger, once the marker fires, the trigger is pushed back into the forward position by air pressure. The more pressure you have going into the marker, the harder the trigger rebound will be. Some folks say that by gently pulling the trigger they can find a point where a steady pressure on the trigger combined with the reactivity of the trigger rebound allows them to hit a full auto type "sweet spot". I have not experienced this myself though and from everything I have read this is not a good idea as it is likely to damage your marker.

Basically I enjoy the feel an RT valve gives the trigger. Some folks may not like the trigger rebound but I believe it does in fact help you to achieve a faster more effortless rate of fire. The non-RT valve mag owners who have shot my RT have all been impressed and liked the feel. Just be sure you have a 12 volt hopper to keep up with the rate of fire.

Dave
11-05-2001, 06:51 PM
hmmm, I probably didn't have all my facts straight. I guess I would need a retro valve, not an RT, but if they do the same, then saying RT instead of Retro is the same thing...

anyway, what I was looking for was clean snappy firing anywhere from 3-6 b.p.s., then if need be, the really fast 'sweet spot' that the Retro Valve is famous for. I didn't know that it could be damaging. If anyone from AGD is reading, is it true that this rapid fire can damage your marker?

Anyway, thanks for your help:)

-Dave

freakyt
11-05-2001, 08:02 PM
Dave, I am in your situation, I have an AIR now, and I am going to go with a Retro.

I've never really shot an RT for a full game, I have tried an RT pro and a Tippman M98 RT. The M98 was easy to make it go full auto, like it is almost designed for it. A mag RT is harder to bounce, I belive. Howerver, the tippman jumped around in my hands like a wild barn cat when I bounced the trigger.

The biggest reason I went retro is I belive it will almost elminiate my intermittant short stroke problems. I know I should have better trigger diciplane, but sometimes you break down when you have a really good shot and you want to get some paint in the air. I have seen fluid flying out of my powerfeed more than once and I remember thinking 'Ohhhhh shi*, I just wasted the niceest out I could have had all day'.

Anybody out there agree that an RT valve will help short strokers?

EvilErnie
11-06-2001, 03:57 PM
I used to short stroke it bad, then I got my RT, and now all my strokes are crisp and clean. ;) Even when I bounce the trigger, I still dont break my balls! I love my RT!