PDA

View Full Version : How do I use Twist-Lock Barrels?

DiSoRdeR
11-15-2004, 08:43 PM
Yes Im a tard and I cant figure it out. I do not have a nubin yet, just wanted to see what it will look like on it. I have never owned a twistlock barrel or body before now, any help would be appriciated.

Chronobreak
11-15-2004, 08:56 PM
insert with the stright groove at teh bottom(towards detent) push in then turn

its that easy..you wont have any trouble ;)

master_alexander
11-15-2004, 08:57 PM
:spit_take

Thunder Bunny
11-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Well you insert the barrel and twist.

On my Mag I put the barrel in with the slot on the bottom. The feed hole is on the right side with the gun pointing away from you. Insert all the way and twist counterclockwise. I'tll go about an eighth of a turn and stop. The ball hole should be lined up with the feed port. Some barrels are milled for right feed and vert feed, so be careful you don't put it in wrong.

WenULiVeUdiE
11-15-2004, 10:11 PM
If it does not go in easy, stop and pull it out. You may need to put half a drop of oil in the groove. Or, if that does not work, adjust the twistlock assembly. Take off the frame and adjust the nut on the bottem of the twistlock assembly. This will raise/lower the actual twistlock.

DiSoRdeR
11-15-2004, 10:22 PM
I figured the twisting part by looking at the barrel, but I cannot get the barrel into it. It only goes so far, then completly stops before going in all the way.

HoppysMag
11-15-2004, 10:29 PM
there are two kinds of barrels T groove barrels and L groove. T's are easyest. L you just have to check taht you are using the right groove and turning it the right way in accordance with you feed

DiSoRdeR
11-15-2004, 10:38 PM
Theres two L's so Im guessing its an L one, but once the barrel goes to where that little piece sticks up it stops. I cant get it to go down while Im pushin the barrel, and I do not want to push to hard.

temps
11-15-2004, 10:57 PM
If by little thing you mean the twist lock assembly, then try loosining it. Also if you find its hard to take off the barrel use a little oil on the o-rings and it will slide out alot easier.

DiSoRdeR
11-15-2004, 11:06 PM
How do I loosen it? I tried an allen wrench on the bottom on it, but nothing happened.

WenULiVeUdiE
11-15-2004, 11:11 PM
Make sure you put some oil on the groove! Turn it out to the left, alot. If you still do not notice anything, the assembly could be shot. New ones are $7 from Rouge.

DiSoRdeR
11-15-2004, 11:13 PM
Make sure you put some oil on the groove! Turn it out to the left, alot. If you still do not notice anything, the assembly could be shot. New ones are $7 from Rouge.
The problem is I cant get it to the point where it turns. It will go in up to the twist lock assembly, then will refuse to go any futher :cry:

HoppysMag
11-15-2004, 11:23 PM
The problem is I cant get it to the point where it turns. It will go in up to the twist lock assembly, then will refuse to go any futher :cry:
is it a new barrel? new barrels ( especialy dye) just need to wonr down a little. ( theres no shame in giving it a smack with your hand. or can always take the rail off if it gets stuck

DiSoRdeR
11-15-2004, 11:26 PM
No it is not a new barrel, it is a stock Minimag one. I bought it used for a pretty good deal. When I put the barrel in I hear a click then it stops before the barrel is actually in. Is it doing this because there is no nubin?

space_weazel_45
11-16-2004, 02:17 AM
no, at the bottom of the twistlock, little nub in the rail, [you have to take the grip off] the is an allen screw you need to wind it out twards the bottom. to looen the twistlock so the barrel can pass. and lock in.

Evil1
11-16-2004, 02:59 AM
I wish the twist lock was still popular. The only thing that sucked about twist lock was that barrels cost $15-$20 more than any threaded barrel.

Janixs
11-16-2004, 07:58 AM
Make sure the grip frame screw is not sticking up to far. Sometimes the screw is to long and will get in the way try backing it off some then try putting the barrel in.

WenULiVeUdiE
11-16-2004, 04:37 PM
Try lubing the area around the twistlock: Any part that touches the inside of the body. Also, it is possible the assembly itself is just sitting too high. To solve this get a macro fitting(straight works best) and put one of the opening on the pin side(top). That should knock down a little, and may solve your problem. Or you may have to take alittle off the actual twistlock pin.

DiSoRdeR
11-16-2004, 05:21 PM
I loosend it, but it will still not allow the barrel to go in. Does this happen to every ones or did I just get a messed up one? And will it do this every time I want to switch a barrel? Cause so far its not worth it...

AGD
11-16-2004, 05:32 PM
You probably have a field rental gun and the detent is made from solid brass. If thats the case it will never go in no matter what you do. You would have to remove the body and position the barrel first, then bolt it back on.

Take off the body and see if the detent in the rail moves up and down when you press on it hard.

AGD

Stealthgerbil
11-16-2004, 05:35 PM
I hated thoser field rental pins. I dont see why you would want to make the barrel non removable.

Magaman
11-16-2004, 05:37 PM
I loosend it, but it will still not allow the barrel to go in. Does this happen to every ones or did I just get a messed up one? And will it do this every time I want to switch a barrel? Cause so far its not worth it...

I had a similar problem when I got my Mag... The Rail was very Dirty and I had to clean the heck out of the Barrel Twist Lock Assembly. (Pic Below)... After that, the barrel started going in a lot easier... I was also using cheap (Non ADG) Barel Orings which caused me to really work the Barel down to get it to twist...

Let me know if any of this helps... :bounce:

DiSoRdeR
11-16-2004, 05:42 PM
I do not know if it is from a field rental mag, but it could be. I bought all the parts for this mag from people on AO. The Twist Lock Assembly requires alot of pressure to be pushed down, to the point where it hurts my finger. Is my best bet to just buy a new one?

Magaman
11-16-2004, 05:51 PM
I do not know if it is from a field rental mag, but it could be. I bought all the parts for this mag from people on AO. The Twist Lock Assembly requires alot of pressure to be pushed down, to the point where it hurts my finger. Is my best bet to just buy a new one?

If your going to use a twist lock I'd buy a new one... Thats probably you biggest problem and for the cost of replacement its worth it...

DiSoRdeR
11-16-2004, 06:01 PM
How do i get it out to replace it? It seems to be in there pretty good.

WenULiVeUdiE
11-16-2004, 06:31 PM
A big hammer.
But as I said before, use a macro fitting if you have one. Place the fitting on the top of the twistlock, and hit. But once it gets halfway out, the hammer will do nothing.

B.A.M.
11-16-2004, 06:35 PM
some times there is two groove like my old one so make sure you do the right oneand you need to maybe oil the oring that goes over the nubbins so it will slide ezy

punkncat
11-16-2004, 07:47 PM
I figured the twisting part by looking at the barrel, but I cannot get the barrel into it. It only goes so far, then completly stops before going in all the way.

It could be that your front frame screw may be too long.....

DiSoRdeR
11-16-2004, 07:50 PM
It could be that your front frame screw may be too long.....
No it was the Twist Lock Assembly, and I took it out. Im going to be getting a new one. I think there was something wrong with this one, it requires to much pressure for it to be pushed down.