PDA

View Full Version : Ball Breakage...

joeyjoe367
11-04-2001, 07:20 PM
Hey all, I played with my 'mag for the first time in a little while and I was having some problems with ball breakage.

Here's what I'm working with:

Classic Automag
Galactic Systemz Z-Body
CP .700
Dye 2x
ACI Bulldog 68/3000
9v Revolution (Pre-BE)

At first I thought that it was the barrel slipping loose, so I tossed an O-Ring on there to help tighten it up, The problem Contiuned.

Then i thought it could be short-Stroking. I tried shooting 1 shot at a time, fairly slowly, making sure to pull the trigger all the way. I didn't hear any "farting" that I Identify with short-stroking.

Next, i thought that the back-spin nubbing was the problem. I turned the nubbin all the way out so that there was no back-spin at all. That did not fix the problem.

Lastly, I checked my paint. I was using PMI Premium, that was fairly fresh. I picked up a couple and dropped them from an out streached arm (i'm about 5-9, so it was approx 5 feet or so)and they didn't break on the ground. I tossed one in the air, and it DID break, but from a height of what I approximated of 15 feet.

The entire time, I was shooting at around 280-290 FPS. I also JUST got the new parabolic powerfeed plug. My rate of Fire stayed fairly low. As I said before, i tried shooting 1 at a time, and it seemed OK.

When i Cleaned out my 'gun, I looked @ the bolt area and It seemed like THAT was the area that Paint was being broken. Also, I was talking to TunaMan on AIM, and he said that my Bolt Spring (which is now just a spring's width longer than my bolt) could be the problem. I also talked to BlackVCG about this bolt spring Idea. He said that I should replace it, but worn bolt-springs are usually not the cause of Ball breakage.

Thanks for any responses.

-Joe

Cha0tic
11-04-2001, 11:13 PM
is the ball detent broken?

Drizit
11-05-2001, 12:15 AM
i don't think the zbody has a detent other then the backspin nubbin, and it uses cocker barrels. have you checked to see that there are no sharp objects in the breach. the ajuster screw poking through the rubber, or a sharp part on the bolt? anything like that? and the only way i see the bolt spring causeing the problem is under rapid fire the bolt might not returne fast enough.

joeyjoe367
11-05-2001, 11:33 AM
Well, for your guys' information, the Z-body uses autococker detents.

As for sharp objects, I've taken out the valve, looked @ the bolt, and then looked through the 'gun with the valve removed, and I couldn't see anything that might have caused a ball to break in that area.

Could it be that I'm Short-stroking, and I just don't know it? What do you guys Identify with short-stroking? I don't think I'm the best at knowing when I do that, other than the odvious ball break.

I forgot to mention that towards the end of the day, broken paint had gotten up the power feed, and into my hopper. Could the broken paint cause Even more ball breakage?

Drizit
11-05-2001, 12:46 PM
it could be short stroking.

a short stroke happens when you pull the trigger but don't release it all the way before your next shot. this will sometimes lead to a ball brake, or sometimes it just falls short. (depends on the gun)

as to having paint in the feed it will slow down the feed and could cause you to start chopping balls, I know that happens to me.

joeyjoe367
11-05-2001, 02:09 PM
Well, Seeing that I JUST got this Dye 2x Frame, i guess I could have been Short-Stroking it without knowing. It just didn't have that characteristic "fart".

As for chopping, THere was never paint-shell debris in the 'gun. I never actually CHOPPED a ball. Feeding was Definatly NOT the problem.

Drizit
11-06-2001, 10:06 AM
it could always be that your trigger rod isn't adjusted properly for that frame and trigger.

but if there is no shell then you were probably just having barrel brakes. check the size of the paint vs your barrel. if it's too tight then that would explain a lot, also check your nubbin that could be ripping the paint if it's in too far or bent.

joeyjoe367
11-06-2001, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Drizit
but if there is no shell then you were probably just having barrel brakes. check the size of the paint vs your barrel. if it's too tight then that would explain a lot, also check your nubbin that could be ripping the paint if it's in too far or bent.

Ummm, I don' think you noticed, but I DOUBT that a .700 bore barrel is too tight :D

Also, I think I Said that my Z-body uses 'Cocker Detents. So that's probably not the problem either. I haven't messed with that since the last time I played.

I don't know if you guys have seen the other thread:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13676

... but from what I'm reading in there, I get the feeling that it's my paint. I'm going to go grab some Diablo paint and see how that works.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Drizit
11-07-2001, 12:39 AM
that will teach me to answer questions when I'm distracted. your right I was just on mag problem autopilot.:o

anyway check your detent anyway. if it's not working right then you could be double feeding or perhaps feeding one and a half balls at once.

and if your grabbing Diablo stay away form the Blaze, it's junk, Inferno is good but small.