PDA

View Full Version : Need some info

Rallog
11-18-2004, 10:31 AM
Alright guys... I'm posting this because I'm a ref at a new paintball field. I've played woodball for years now, so this is really my first experience in 'main stream' paintball. We have a hybrid field up and running and are going to have a speedball field up in the spring.

The point of this thread is that I need some education on the speedball ways. By this I mean I need to know about cheater boards, ramping, bounce, all that stuff. I want to be able to recognize this stuff as quickly as possible. We're trying to keep our field as controlled and safe as possible. I wanna know as much about the dirty little tricks as I can so I can be the ref the honest players love because I kicked the jerk thats always wipeing and had the ramping board off the field.

Now, before I get responses of "you'll never catch all the cheaters" and the such, thats not what this thread is about, or that ramping boards are fine. I don't care, and I don't want to hear it. I just want to do my best to keep the rules enforced and be as knowledgeable about it as possible. PMs would be great, or links to FAQs on the matter. I really want to know as much as I possibly can about cheating and ways to stop it.

Thanks in advance guys and girls. :cheers:

HoppysMag
11-18-2004, 11:07 AM
i know nothing about tourney speed ball

but as a fellow ref. dont be a push over. dont let big spenders run the field. be a hard *** and if some ones got a problem with that, pull thier ***. dont take no guff from anyone.

slade
11-18-2004, 04:04 PM
but as a fellow ref. dont be a push over. dont let big spenders run the field. be a hard *** and if some ones got a problem with that, pull thier ***. dont take no guff from anyone.
um, no. i agree with the "dont be a push over" part, but dont be a jerk either. there have been a couple refs ive met that have been jerks, or overly hard.
for example, a few years ago when i was a newb, after renting a few times i got an electro piranha, and the first time i played with it i decided to use full auto (10 bps) and the ref asked me if i was using full auto, i said yes, and he kicked me out of the game and made me sit out the next. I was a newb and figured, why would it come with a mode of fire that was illegal to use? and the refs never went over the rules besides the mask, barrel condom, and 10 foot rule, so i had no way of knowing.
oh well i hope you get the idea that you shouldnt let players get away with major cheating, but you shouldnt be a hard*** either.

ojhspyro89
11-18-2004, 04:38 PM
I remember the 10 foot rule. I never really listen to it, i just bunker the kid and get over it i meen geeze if your going to play and your kind of older, its coming at u. :headbang:

Also, make sure people allways have thier masks on and barrel plugs/condoms in. Also be nice and friendly. Help people with thier problems and tell them tips and stuff if they are new or u see them making a mistake over and over.

I personally like a ref i can relate too. Also with older individuals, use sir and mam i think that gets the best response.

Sometimes younger refs arent respected, sometimes you will get blown off if your a teenager, itll happen no doubt.

Oh and one more thing. Dont pick up others guns and shoot thier paint, that anoys me sometimes.

Blazestorm
11-18-2004, 06:48 PM
Bounce - If you pull the trigger slowly and the gun fires more then one shot, or full auto, takes practice to get it done right, excessive bounce = bad, 1 extra shot every once in a while = aight.

Ramping - Only guns that have easily accessible ramping boards/chips are Dm4's, Matrixes, and Dm5's, Timmies also have boards n such out for them. If someone looks like they're shooting faster then they're pulling, it's probably ramping, only way to catch them is to stop them mid-game, take their gun and start pulling it, if it starts to go faster then you're shooting then it's ramping. You can't approach them though, you basically have to sneak up behind them and steal their gun and tell them they were suspected of a cheater-gun. If it isn't a cheater gun and they can just shoot fast, apologize afterwords and explain to them why. The reason is, the codes to activate ramping are secret and unique to the gun, Usually only the owner knows it.

Hidden Switchs - There are a few types, Some are hidden inside of the grips of the gun, just a 3pt switch that they flip, just look around for something hiding... Another type of switch very very uncommon is a Full auto switch, hidden inside of the gripframe is a microswitch, when activated the gun goes Full auto, all you have to do is "squeeze" the grips and it'll shoot full auto. Those are the 2 common switchs. The 3pt switch has 3 modes, on w/ eyes off locked at 5-6 bps, off, and on w/ eyes on and ramping.

Watch some videos and analyze them, check the audio files to see how many shots per second occured, so you can begin to be able to "hear" how fast they're shooting.

Also - Newer shockers and nerves have "rebound" (Ramping) built in, and no special way to turn them off without opening up the gripframe. Easier to catch essentially. Just start shooting slow and keep increasing your ROF (Walk it if you have to) if it starts shooting really fast (14-15-16-17) without you shooting that, then it has rebound on, ask them politely to turn it off as it's against their insurance policies. :)

Good luck, and don't let them win, you're god on the field, make sure they know that. :D

master_alexander
11-18-2004, 08:09 PM
as ref, player and genius, i advise you to look out for the newbies/little kids, i love to light them up, especally if they have rentals, i have never seen a cheater board used in one of my games, seen it on the net, it looks funny to see them pulling the trigger at what you think is about 9 bps and they are shooting 19, hidden switches are hard to find too, my friend had one, it was mounted right under the foregrip just push and oops 3ball burst, wipers are easy to find as you might have guessed i make them sit out that game and the next, i also used to carry a pistol with me, for the idiots that would "accidentally" shoot the ref. have fun at your new field.

Rallog
11-18-2004, 09:59 PM
First off, thanks for the great input... Very helpful, especially yours Blazestorm. I had a vague idea on how those things worked, but now I have specifics to watch out for. The refs at our field are very polite, and we useally hand out warnings, but if we get a real troublesome group we turn from nice polite friendly guys to rehash what went wrong with your strategy to tossing people out left and right. We actually only have done the switch over once so far... group of rich college students (all drive nice cars, wearing good clothes on a mud field...) would just not listen on some of the most basic stuff, mainly keeping their masks down and not fireing when eliminated/off the field... so we ripped into them. Hell, the one guy was sitting in the dead zone about 15 feet from the fireing with his mask sitting 5 foot away from him. Other than that we keep a friendly environment... don't even carry pistols on us. Although a few times I've wanted instead of saying "Yes you really were hit, now get of the field" to pull out a pistol and *SPLAT* "Now you really are out, get the hell outa here".

Aside from that though we keep it civil, worry mainly about safety and keeping the games fair and fun. I don't want to knock heads together, but if someones cheating, then someone else thats paying may not be having fun.

On a side note, it definately is hard to find that nice solid tone of voice when someones eliminated when 5 minutes before you were telling them how if they would have been more patient and waited 3 seconds before they shot they would have gotten like 2 people out. Gotta keep it friendly but make sure they still respect the uniform.

Well, I'm rambling, so I'm gunna shut up now... thanks again for the info :)

slade
11-19-2004, 02:29 PM
i also used to carry a pistol with me, for the idiots that would "accidentally" shoot the ref. have fun at your new field.
lol that reminds me of a story a ref at my field told me... i mentioned something about refs carrying pistols, and he told me that they used to be able to, but because of him they werent allowed to anymore.

there was some rental newbie at the field who kept shooting him for fun, game after game, and at the time refs were allowed to carry pistols onto the field but "just for intimidation" so after the second or third time the kid did this he went into the back of the store, got his pistol, and then put a piranha boo-ya frame on it, set it at 15bps full auto and loaded it. the next game the kid did the same thing, so he got out the pistol, walked past the kids bunker, and emptied the whole pistol on him, and then said "youre out!"